When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

RWG Technical

The Zigmeister! amazing surgery you performed on this watch. Have to be honest, judging from the first picture I was not convinced of the outcome...but after reading the 'process' and looking at the mandatory wristshot...suffice to say, that was a jaw dropping moment. Congratulations. The original 5508 with no CG's is THE classic Bond sub, beautiful piece! Have a great 2007 :victory:

Alex

Have to be honest, judging from the first picture I was not convinced of the outcome...

So was I...

Given the condition, the neglect, the age, and the fact it was not running at all, and then I saw the gouge in the caseback, and on the winder bridge, I thought I had thrown a lot of money away...

Pay your money, take your chances, worked out this time, but the bracelet is not going to come cheap...so I still have a ways to go before it's complete.

Wearing it as I type this, and not being a big rollie fan, I am warming up to it...

RG

I was keeping my fingers crossed for you on this one, Rob. It did not look like you had much to work and as you mentioned, sourcing the correct parts may be difficult and expensive.

The end result is nothing short of spectacular and I'm sure you had a lot of fun bringing this old and valuable piece of history to fully functioning order. The 5508 loooks spectacular and better yet, the watch itself is totally original.

I'm sure this particular Rolex will grow on you. I recall when this watch was first discussed at length a couple of years back or so at the old RWG. That turned out to be one of the best threads I have read in these forums and a very educational read for me.

I was so amazed by this post plus photos that I asked my wife to read it. I let her know that this was the Rob that brought her Longines back to life. It's a understatement to say that she was extremely happy with the result and equally impressed with the work performed on this classic Bond.

All the best in the New Year!

Jet

Wow... I am at a complete loss of words! What a difference from start to finish! The sympathetic restoration of this piece is a true work of art. Excellent, as always!

BTW- I am on the hunt for your bracelet... And a bezel insert as well. I'll let you know what comes of the search :)

Enjoy that beauty!

Best,

R

cool...too cool to be true..... :thumbsupsmileyanim: ..........good job

post-4058-1167234521_thumb.jpg

Wow... I am at a complete loss of words! What a difference from start to finish! The sympathetic restoration of this piece is a true work of art. Excellent, as always!

BTW- I am on the hunt for your bracelet... And a bezel insert as well. I'll let you know what comes of the search :)

Enjoy that beauty!

Best,

R

Excellent, let me know if you find one...

On the El Primero, I have been giving it the "Evil" eye for the past 10 days, and studying it, just like a boxer psyching himself up before the big fight, I think I am going to be ready to tear this one down over the weekend... and you thought the new Rocky was good... "...it ain't over till it's over"...

RG

I was keeping my fingers crossed for you on this one, Rob. It did not look like you had much to work and as you mentioned, sourcing the correct parts may be difficult and expensive.

The end result is nothing short of spectacular and I'm sure you had a lot of fun bringing this old and valuable piece of history to fully functioning order. The 5508 loooks spectacular and better yet, the watch itself is totally original.

I'm sure this particular Rolex will grow on you. I recall when this watch was first discussed at length a couple of years back or so at the old RWG. That turned out to be one of the best threads I have read in these forum and a very educational read for me.

I was so amazed by this post plus photos that I asked my wife to read it. I let her know that this was the Rob that brought her Longines back to life. It's a understatement to say that she was extremely happy with the result and equally impressed with the work performed on this classic Bond.

All the best in the New Year!

Jet

Thanks for the kind words. I am also glad that your wife likes the results of the Longines service, it was a challenge due to it's small size.

Jen and I are planning a trip to the big Fruit (or is it Apple, I can't remember) in the new year/spring, we will get together for sure...

All the best in 2007 from both of us.

RG

Simply: wow. Don't let the original owner see the finished product - especially after Randy locates the insert and bracelet. The guy is going to have some serious seller's remorse! And I was even surprised an original owner would sell this piece in the first place. But at least he can take comfort in knowing it went to a good home, and that it looks great on its new wrist!! Congrats again.

Outstanding job Z. And congrats for the watch... it's a great investment for sure. I know how valuable these Bond Subs have become.

For a moment I thought the first pic was of Nanuq's Sub. :)

PS: I love these breakdowns and restoration reviews. I've read every single one of them many times over and over.

Hey Z,

AMAZING restoration, I am further convinced that you are one of the last masters of the dying art of watchmaking. I thought you might find this interesting....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLEX-VINTAGE-SUBMARIN...1QQcmdZViewItem

I think your dial is significantly better than this one, with a new bezel insert I would imagine it's worth more than this one.....

:Jumpy: