When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

End of an era...

automatico

J,

I think what they are doing is trying to prevent hoarding of parts. Since everyone knows that it's just a matter of time before ETA movements and parts dry up completely, it would not surprise me to see watchmakers try to lay in a big supply of commonly used parts. The guy who has the parts will control the business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking it's really going to be worth getting hold of some ETA movements before the prices increase even more. And also some spares or movements for spares... if I'm going to continue to build or own ETA based watches.

Can anybody chime in with how best to store new uncased movements?

Are Seagull ETA clones any better than other Asian clones... or worse?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

J,

I think what they are doing is trying to prevent hoarding of parts. Since everyone knows that it's just a matter of time before ETA movements and parts dry up completely, it would not surprise me to see watchmakers try to lay in a big supply of commonly used parts. The guy who has the parts will control the business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spot checked some of the other parts and they had no ordering limits so it just struck me as a bit odd...

^^ thanks SSTEEL I was wondering about placing the new movements in their containers in an air tight box. Would that help or hinder proper storage. Apologies this is slightly OT people...

<.>

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm thinking it's really going to be worth getting hold of some ETA movements before the prices increase even more. And also some spares or movements for spares... if I'm going to continue to build or own ETA based watches.

Can anybody chime in with how best to store new uncased movements?

Are Seagull ETA clones any better than other Asian clones... or worse?

p>Go to google, type in ETA 2824 vs Seagull 2130

I believe the second article will be a WatchUSeek article that compares the ETA 2824 to the Seagull 2130 and another Chinese clone. This is a very good in depth breakdown by a watchsmith with lots of photos and comparisons between the three movements. It was done in 2008, but the information is still pertinent. Should answer your questions.

I put a Seagull 2130 in one of my AP Divers a year or so back and it has been a very reliable and accurate movement. It was used to replace a slow beat conversion that never worked properly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here is one on eBay for $96.95 plus $10 shp...item number   221906955299    You might find them for a little less now and then but if it was me, I would stick with new swisseta as long as they are reasonably priced ($175 - $200).

What is up with this guy asking $537.49 for a swisseta 2836, item number   360798166820  ?? 

...while ST has complete running watches...screw back ss case, sd crown, 100 mwr, sapphire xtal with a swisseta 2824 for $179.

It's a crazy world out there...   :pimp: