When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Submariner which one to choose?

Broker1981

Hi guys!

I would like to buy a Submariner, but I have a few questions.

Ideally I'd like to buy a TT.

I have been browsing the trusted dealers sites, and must admit I am somewhat confounded by the mere number of different models.

I assume there's connection between price and quality, however I am not sure that the most expensive model necessarily is the best.

What model would you suggest. I am looking for a submariner with date, black dial and black or full gold bezel.

All suggestions are thankfully accepted.

Sent fra min ASUS_T00I via Tapatalk

hmmm just out of curiosity, will the TT gold plating last or will it fade out after a few months of daily wearing?

Regards,

Nick

It'll fade quick.

To OP: get a wm9 or build with solid gold parts and forget about all the other pre ceramic TT subs, they all suck.

For ceramic there's a new release its off with bezel and dial but the gold is said to be wrapped. I don't know anything about the ceramic TT but you can take my word when it comes to pre ceramic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone care to explain the dif between wrapped and non wrapped/plated to the OP.

Gold wrapped means that a sheet of gold (usually ~.1 to .25 of a mm thick) is layered over the SS base metal. This is of course much thicker than the few microns of plating. So it's way more durable and doesn't fade as quick. Being a physical sheet, it can't be bent around corners so it can't be done on crowns, bezels or SELs. 

Whilst plating will fade quite quick, wrap is holding up longer but it's no insurance it doesn't fade. It can and it WILL fade.

Edited by QueTip

Also I love TT but the only solution is a gen used.

Why ?

Because The reps pladet have a bad bad yellow color, and are bad rifinited and The new Wrapped  TT $ 500/680 Noob is very bad, has the endlink semi wrapped but lateral parts in steel. Is very easy to see that is a fake.

The parts plated, crown, bezel are in a dead yellow different to parts wrapped of band. Bad  bad Bad.......

It is more reasonable to buy a rep of steel ceramic Noob V5 or a sub  TC. They are real replica watches, not fake watches.

Reps whit gold parts and material as  mother of pearl, diamonds ecc.. are so similar to the $ 10  beach watches of ambulants.

Also I love TT but the only solution is a gen used.

Why ?

Because The reps pladet have a bad bad yellow color, and are bad rifinited and The new Wrapped  TT $ 500/680 Noob is very bad, has the endlink semi wrapped but lateral parts in steel. Is very easy to see that is a fake.

The parts plated, crown, bezel are in a dead yellow different to parts wrapped of band. Bad  bad Bad.......

It is more reasonable to buy a rep of steel ceramic Noob V5 or a sub  TC. They are real replica watches, not fake watches.

Reps whit gold parts and material as  mother of pearl, diamonds ecc.. are so similar to the $ 10  beach watches of ambulants.

It's either gen or build for gold/TT watches. 

It's either gen or build for gold/TT watches. 

Built a gold TT watch is a bad decision, in my idea. You have a fake whit gold parts and spend a hig price. A gen used frao a private sellers cost 4000/5000 dollars

A professional seller whith guaranties ecc..sell it to 5000  6000 dollars 

http://www.chrono24.com/en/rolex/submariner-18k-gold-steel-two-tone-16803-blue-dial-40mm--id3723660.htm

Built a gold TT watch is a bad decision, in my idea. You have a fake whit gold parts and spend a hig price. A gen used frao a private sellers cost 4000/5000 dollars

A professional seller whith guaranties ecc..sell it to 5000  6000 dollars 

http://www.chrono24.com/en/rolex/submariner-18k-gold-steel-two-tone-16803-blue-dial-40mm--id3723660.htm

So? Building gives you more relationship to a watch. It gives you a higher emotional value to a watch. That's why I only build gensteins or gens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Qtip, if you are wanting a 16610, about the only realistic alternative is to build one. The weak link is the bracelet. Almost every one has a huge tell, the mid link part of the end link on the genuine is gold, so the exposed sides are gold. The rep bracelets have a plated or wrapped S/S mid link that is not gold on the sides, so the S/S is exposed. Mymanmatt has a solution for that problem, at least he did with mine. The bracelet not withstanding, you can build a really nice 16613 using gen dial, insert, crown and, aftermarket 18k bezel,

Here is mine.7063805a6d763fb6ad1e46e3016eb2c0.jpg

c644fb883e660c1471cfe9687038a294.jpg

I agree with Qtip, if you are wanting a 16610, about the only realistic alternative is to build one. The weak link is the bracelet. Almost every one has a huge tell, the mid link part of the end link on the genuine is gold, so the exposed sides are gold. The rep bracelets have a plated or wrapped S/S mid link that is not gold on the sides, so the S/S is exposed. Mymanmatt has a solution for that problem, at least he did with mine. The bracelet not withstanding, you can build a really nice 16613 using gen dial, insert, crown and, aftermarket 18k bezel,

Here is mine.7063805a6d763fb6ad1e46e3016eb2c0.jpg

c644fb883e660c1471cfe9687038a294.jpg

Care to explain what MMM did to it? Replate? Only other possible way coming to my mind is a WM9 bracelet which had full covered SELs.. 

Edited by QueTip