When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Strange PayPal request?

panerai153

Tried to order a watch this morning from one of the TD's. He accepts PayPal so that was my payment choice. Logged on to PayPal typed in the payment amount ( less than 400 USD) right below two boxes popped up, first was recipients first and last name, second one wanted country of residence. I have never had that happen before.

My questions, has this happened to anyone else? And second is this is and indication that PayPal has flagged this account and is trying to tie in names, etc.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not come across that before, what did you do when this happened?  Hope you logged out, and contacted the TD?

That is exactly what I did. Haven't heard back from him.

I have been on PayPal since it started, and this is something new, I use PayPal to pay merchants all the time, especially in cases where I have never done business with them before and would rather not give them a credit card.

This happened to me once.  I cannot remember what dealer or if it was even a watch.  Thinking it might have been some parts.  But the seller gave me a name and location to use.  It went fine once I put in the information.  I thought it odd too and was a little hesitant but it all worked out OK.   

I'm still waiting to hear back from the Dealer. If you don't fill in the two boxes, you cannot proceed, if you hit continue, a red border appears around each box and the caption "required information" comes up. At that point I cancelled the transaction. This was a standard "pay for goods or services" not Gift.

Hopefully he will get back with me, because if there is a flag on his account, everyone who tries to use that email address to pay is going to encounter the same problem..

Well, the dealer hasn't returned my email. I've explained in detail what occurred. I sort of feel like the ball is in his court. I would expect that if he is interested in what happened, or have concerns that this may be a routine thing with PayPal purchasers, he would get back with me. Problem with this sort of thing, a lot of buyers will not wait around to sort something like this out, they will just move on to another dealer.