When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Paying with a credit card

swdivad

Hi Guys... 

I'm talking with a popular TD here and on other boards about purchasing a watch. I have dealt with him before and he's been great, although I worry about using my credit card online at all.

He says his PP account has been shut or limited recently and will only do credit card at present and his site is SSL and secure etc etc

Has anyone paid for a rep directly with a credit card, and how secure could this be?

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Word of warning, someone might seem trustworthy today, but its tomorrow that you have to worry about. What are these guys going to do with your CC info once the counterfeit watch business stops becoming profitable? Dealers don't like PayPal because it offers the buyer too much protection. There's a reason why these guys repeatedly have their PayPal accounts shut down and it usually has to do with bad customer service.

Credit cards are pretty safe, at least where fraud is involved. If the seller doesn't deliver, or later tries to use your card for something else, the card companies in my experience are very much on the card holders side. I don't know how proactive they would be in the case where you actually received the merchandise and were not satisfied. Not sure they would get in the middle of a dispute, like PayPal would if you file a dispute.

Since the majority of dealer problems seem to be more service related, such as sending a watch that is not exactly what you thought you were getting, or a watch that has mechanical problems, loose or missing parts or is DOA, rather than just not delivering your watch, PayPal may be a safer alternative. Also, in a lot of cases, my card issuer will deny a charge to an entity in China initially, then I get a call or email from their Fraud department asking if I made the charge and is the seller known to me. If I answer that I know the seller and I did indeed make the charge, they OK it and it will go through. My question here is, once I personally OK the seller as someone known to me, if the deal goes South, will the credit card company work to get my money back, or will they say, we alerted you and you said they were OK, so we are out of the picture?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Once my CC stopped working.

My bank cancelled it because "several suspected transactions in various locations in China".

Stupid me, I only had one VISA cc, so figure out how to buy food and stuff for a week while waiting for a new cc.

And yes, I had purchased a watch from our TDs with that card. No other online transactions had been made.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guys if you didn't know this already, please, please instruct your card issuers (both debit and credit) to send either text messages or emails anytime a transaction over any amount of your choosing occurs. You can easily configure this online as an "alert" or *maybe* by a phone call. I actually prefer this instantaneous security precaution to the new chipped cards that sometimes take longer to process when run through chip compatible machines.

Doing this has given me peace of mind and I'm not worried if I ever lose the cards (well sorta lol).

Edited by stray_cat
add
  • Like 1

Guys if you didn't know this already, please, please instruct your card issuers (both debit and credit) to send either text messages or emails anytime a transaction over any amount of your choosing occurs. You can easily configure this online as an "alert" or *maybe* by a phone call. I actually prefer this instantaneous security precaution to the new chipped cards that sometimes take longer to process when run through chip compatible machines.

Doing this has given me peace of mind and I'm not worried if I ever lose the cards (well sorta lol).

100% agree. Personally I have set it up to send me a mail for every purchase bigger than 10Eur and an SMS for everyone over 200Eur: I don't use the card so much here in Italy: I prefer the debit card for the everyday activities.

Also here with most of the banks you have 2 other security options:

1) the best in my view, is the "virtual card": you logon to your bank site with the mix of codes you need to enter there, and you can create a virtual Visa or Mastercard that has a valid number/expiration and security code. You can declare the max amount it can contain (like a prepaid one, but the cash is not taken from your account until you use the card) and tell if it is a "one-use burnt" (meaning that after the first usage it becomes not usable anymore and you need to create another virtual one) or if it can be valid for some months.

2) The 3D secure method, which is just another layer of security of your card (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-D_Secure) but I don't love it...