When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Suicide after buying a fake Rolex

Beachcomber

This is something that needs to be read, especially if someone is planning on pulling a fast one and selling a rep trying to pass it off as a Gen. Disclaimer-Not saying anyone here is planning on doing that. This happened to me a couple of years ago; I didn't get sent anything in the end and I felt like the biggest idiot in the world. I thought I was getting a good deal but in the end it was a total scam. These scams affect the scammed more than you can imagine, I personally feel the money scammed it the least of the problem, it's the shame associated with the whole ordeal.

http://m.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/11422167.Suicide_of_dad_after_eBay__lsquo_Rolex_rsquo__sale_scam/?ref=mr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure I'd feel like a real dummy if I got scammed, but suicide?    This guy had way bigger emotional problems than a fake Rollie caused.   Anyone who spends thousands for a watch on eBay IMO, is gambling their money just as if they were laying a $5000 bet on black or red in Vegas.   Personally, I'd never spend that kind of $$$$ on something I couldn't hold in my hand first.

Edited by pcardoza

Well he was on antidepressants as well-as is 3/4 of the population if you ask me. Still-and I'm speaking from experience-this can happen. I have bought many Gens from eBay and have never been scammed, it was only until I decided to buy from a Gen forum that I was taken for over 5 grand and not that I contemplated suicide-yes I'm on antidepressants as well-it made me feel as if I were violated intimately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No decent person deserves to get ripped off, but it happens. My house was broken into back in Oz... lost several expensive gen watches, sunglass collection, jewelry, etc., we felt violated too!

As said before, this guy had a lot of other stuff going on, and probably would have ended up in the same boat at some point in time. RIP, depression is a terrible thing :-(

The real issue at hand here is mental health and how we handle it as a society. This guy was clearly a step away from ending it regardless of what pushed him over the edge, and that is what really makes me sad; when people get to that point. 

very nicely put a and I totally agree. The only thing sadder is how society so often fails people in this mental place. It could be any one of us at some point in our life and with support it can be a difficult period of our past rather than the end.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this, but unfortunately it is not uncommon.  I have worked in Behavioral Health for 20+ years and many people struggle with mental illness and go untreated/unhelped.  It has improved, but there is still a negative stigma towards mental illness which I believe is a factor of why people do not seek help and even if they do are not supported in a way that increases positive outcomes. In general, people show empathy/compassion when someone suffers from cancer or heart disease, but much less so with mental illness.  Even though both conditions are biological/genetic in nature.  Sure environment and lifestyle are influencers but a majority of conditions are predominantly biological and inherited.  

Be nice if at some point in my life society's view of this changes...I do presentations/lectures all the time to increase awareness and reduce stigma, but we still have a long way to go.         

• Like 5