When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What you think about this Phong 1675?

LovesOldsWacthes

Hello Guys,

What you think about this Phong 1675 that i have the opportonuty to buy?

It has the following parts  stated by the seller

- Phong Case, CB and Bezel
- GEN 1675 Insert "natural faded"
- GEN 5,3mmCrown and GEN Tube
- GEN Dial (rare Dial with NO lume colour; it was a small serial production)
- GEN GMT Hand
- GEN Plexy Tropic 116
- GEN Spring Bars
- GEN ETA 2893-2 GMT Movement
- Hands Vintage Look from CWP

What you think about it? I'm try to identify the dial MK (should be a MKIV or MKV) and i'm not sure about the gen gmt hands. Waiting for some of ours opinion :)

Fn5jFkh.jpg

SnfL3sr.jpg

XbeJaJj.jpg

k0l37ee.jpg

lRzfg6t.jpg

9jlDZKO.jpg

HDrUqbG.jpg

qweqjsc.jpg

Q15FnR5.jpg

YIgSl1f.jpg

JB8vqVF.jpg

cuBVuFQ.jpg

ZsEO1l3.jpg

QQgKvcH.jpg

t1Kwz9y.jpg

Edited by LovesOldsWacthes

Thank you for the comments guys, he ask 2000$.

I think about go for a gen one, but locally the most reasonable price i found atm is around 6000$ for a good piece, but whit patience probably i could score a good one whit the right price.

I'm still uncertain, i'm more a sub guy, so probably if i could go gen i will buy a submariner.

Pros and cons...

Not too bad a buy at $2k imho as a 5512/13/1680 project will run about the same if you go with an Eta in a Phong case and high grade GMT projects are 'rare' compared to 5513 etc.

Otoh a 5512/13 with Yuki case/dial and genuine 1520/1570 will also cost about $2000...but you will have to deal with an expen$ive rolex movement and all the ills that go with them. Example...I have a no hack 1575 date that loses time on some days and runs on time on others.    Magnetized? No.    Dirty and dry? No.   Canon pinion slips? No.    Balance staff rough or a cracked jewel? No.    If it was an Eta I could just swap it out but being a cussed $rolex$ I need to fix it. It lost 20 minutes yesterday but is running on time today. On a timer it is within a few bps in all positions.   :huh:

The catch with GMT and 1655 projects with a genuine movement is you will probably spend a small fortune rounding up GMT parts and for this reason the 2893 is a very good choice...except for the 28800 beat rate and no one will notice except maybe a red and blue watch junkie. 

So...it still seems like a pretty good deal to me (considering current prices) and you can always sell it on the forum if and when you want to make a change. Free advice...please do not 'artificially age' the case because so many have been ruined in the attempt. Just wear it and stay out of rock piles and hammer mills.    :pimp:

Dial types:    https://rwg.cc/topic/149110-rolex-gmt-master-history-and-reference-pictoral-part-1

• Like 3

With a Phong case at 1450USD, you are probably not going to spend the cost of the parts. The watch looks the business, so the question is are you comfortable paying one third the price of a genuine 1675? I would be, but my view isn't what matters.

those cases look so close to gen its scary.

I have always been against buying expensive reps - regardless how "gen" it is - its not a genuine piece.

Put it in perspective, I picked up a genuine 16750 a few years back for $2.8K and it also came with a bracelet....something to think about

I have to agree, even though I have gone overboard on a couple of builds myself!!

I also bought a 16750 a few years back, and my price was similar to what you paid. Around 2600-2700 USD, also with a pretty nice bracelet. Pretty hard to compare prices 5+ years ago to today though. Everything is more expensive now.

I believe that one question everyone needs to ask themselves before embarking on an expensive build, what happens when I "fall out of love" with it? The next "Grail watch" comes along, and it needs to go? Can you afford to take a beating on one of these if no one wants it at your price? The market for 2K plus watches is not the same as the 200-400 USD watches. Not many impulse buyers at 2K! Also the buyer pool is much smaller in the rarified air. Just thoughts to ponder before you jump.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

those cases look so close to gen its scary.

I have always been against buying expensive reps - regardless how "gen" it is - its not a genuine piece.

Put it in perspective, I picked up a genuine 16750 a few years back for $2.8K and it also came with a bracelet....something to think about

I have to agree, even though I have gone overboard on a couple of builds myself!!

I also bought a 16750 a few years back, and my price was similar to what you paid. Around 2600-2700 USD, also with a pretty nice bracelet. Pretty hard to compare prices 5+ years ago to today though. Everything is more expensive now.

I believe that one question everyone needs to ask themselves before embarking on an expensive build, what happens when I "fall out of love" with it? The next "Grail watch" comes along, and it needs to go? Can you afford to take a beating on one of these if no one wants it at your price? The market for 2K plus watches is not the same as the 200-400 USD watches. Not many impulse buyers at 2K! Also the buyer pool is much smaller in the rarified air. Just thoughts to ponder before you jump.

Well done on that price! that is a steal whenever you look.

I think the key is patience. Although have struggled to find good deals these days I must admit. My last one was a 9411 Tudor which was April last year. From then to now, nothing. Everything has been market priced.