When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What (vintage) model is this?

markiemark

Its modern because of the crystal and therefore its depth rating but because of the dial you get that vintage vibe

The Rolex Submariner 16800 generation also introduced a modern standard of water resistance to theSubmariner line. The case’s 300m (1,000ft) depth rating endures to the modern era, but the 16800 lays exclusive claim to “first 300m” status within the historic pantheon of Rolex milestones.

This really is the best of both worlds; a vintage watch with modern-Rolex performance. Wear it, enjoy it, and don’t worry. This Rolex can still roll out. See it in high-resolution images on www.watchuwant.com.

http://blog.watchuwant.com/rolex-submariner-16800-vintage-milestone-time-capsule-video-blog/

https://8past10.com/blog/180-the-rolex-submariner-ref-16800-the-best-value-vintage-rolex

Here it started all..

Once you actually look at what the Ref. 16800 has to offer you'll see what Adam was talking about. It was the first Rolex Submariner to have the following : 300M water-resistance, sapphire crystal glass, quick-set date, high-beat movement and was the last Submariner date to have a matte dial. There is a reason this Submariner has most of the same features as it's modern contemporary, it was the one that started it all off! This transitional reference has the benefit of having all the pros of a modern Rolex but lacks those unsightly white gold surrounds that plague contemporary models. It's also a vintage watch that can actually be worn. I doubt that many people wearing a 5513 are going to risk taking it diving or even down the street for a coffee yet the sapphire crystal means that the 16800 will throw whatever you put it through right back at you. 

The 16800 is a great reference especially with the early style lume plots. Mine gets a ton of wear. Unfortunately it is a later model with the marker surrounds. Still it isc a lughole case with sapphire crystal and is able to retain a vintage feel to it. Especially in a world of ceramic inserts!

bac62433b7102c6507f2681e768ece43.jpg

I've never seen a milsub 16800, but that's what it looks like- 4 line dial appears to be matte dial with date, cyclops and sapphire crystal. Can't see the crown guards. And yes the bezel does look strange.

Come to think of it, I've never seen a 1680 milsub either.

But I like the yellow aged markers of the 16800s

P1000185-3.jpg

I'm just not going to put fixed bars on mine!

I got myself a Noob V5 ceramic its ok but now I have seen this image, maybe the same watch but with this vintage leather strap.

My question is where can I get a rep like this.http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cinturino-Pelle-Bufalo-Vintage-ILLINOIS-20-mm-Watch-Strap-Band-Marrone-/191585853513?hash=item2c9b682049:g:TPAAAOSwpDdVX0F2

Thanks