When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help, I Have Broken My First Rep

Seltea

I have a PAM089 with an Asian Valjoux 7750 (the seagull ST25 I think). I was experimenting with taking the movement out and I removed the Crown and stem. However when I put it back in, the balance wheel does not move and the crown does not turn (well it seems to in the wind position but not in the others).

Can this be repaired easily or do I need to send to it to one of our esteemed members for repair ?

I think I should forget about messing with these until I complete a basic practical course !

Yes the A7750 - I won't be getting one again but at the time I bought it a few months ago I didn't know enough about the history of these movements.

There was a small circle near the crown outlet which I pushed down on to get the crown out but it didn't seem to move. I mean - it is not recessed below the "plate" (I am probably using the wriong terminology here).

I have a funny feeling that we are talking major disassembley...................

The PAM090 is different it doesn't have a GMT arm and has a power reserve. Are you sure its the same movement ? The ST25 ?

Where can I get one.......

and who would will replace it - my watch tinkering days have not been a stunning success so far :black_eye:

WTF....were you poking about inside the watch.......and....WTF...didn't you just wear it and be content........now this post is going to persuade some other dumb schmuck that 7750's or Seagull mov'ts are crap.....when that isn't the case....!

T'aint a 7750........and even if it were......it's a fair certainty that if you had used the watch for the purpose for which it was designed and made....i:e.....telling the time.......it would have performed beyond reproach......instead.....you listened to the no-brainers on these sites and decided you were a watchsmith.......too late the conquering hero.....eh.....!

Edited by TTK

Hey Neil, excuse my thread crapping, but is there any significance to you using Jacques Louis David's picture of Napoleon crossing the Alps as your new avatar?

And BTW, Seltea, Now that you've apparently screwed up your watch, hopefully you'll be able to find a watchmaker that'll fix it. I've been there and done that, and it was a $30 lesson- screwed up the keyless works! Finding a good watchmaker is the key to the continued enjoyment of this hobby.

I'm pretty certain that screwing up the works inside one of your own watches is some sort of right of passage in this community... I'm guessing we've all done it at one point or another... Except perhaps The Zigmeister, Vacumm, RBJ and those others that seem to have been born with the inate ability to breakdown and repair these things...

I've done it once. Will never make the same mistake again.

I certainly don't fancy myself a watchsmith... just a schmuck with some tools and enough knowledge to be dangerous... I'm getting better though... have several crappy reps that I'm taking apart as a learning experience...

I'm not dumb enough (yet) to mess with any of my 7750s... they are all running fine and shall stay safely in their cases. I disagree that 7750 movement as a whole should be avoided... the newer 28.8kbph version has treated me just fine... I do tend to avoid the 21.6kbph version but that is just my tastes... I know everyones milage and experiences vary on this one.

Thanks for your words of wisdom. I have indeed learned a valueable lesson - the thing is not to make the same mistake twice.

I will find a local watchmaker to fix it.

2005SUBMARINER - yes this is the same movement - it was described as a "modified A7750" when I bought it - hence the confusion.

In the meantime I will have to buy another rep - can't have that arm looking bare !