When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The new rolex 40mm 2015

jorrie

Introducing the Rolex Day-Date 40 with the new Calibre 3255 – Review with Live photos, specs & price

The Rolex Day-Date had always been the most elegant, refined and luxurious watch of the Oyster Collection by Rolex – that also has elegant watches in its Cellini collection. Exclusively made in precious metals – gold or platinum – it was available for years in 36mm and more recently in 41mm (with the Day-Date II), but still with the same complication: a 3-hand timepiece showing the date and the day in a unique (but now iconic and highly copied) way. For Baselworld 2015, this luxury Rolex receives a serious update, not only by getting new colours but also by coming with a new case and, mostly, a brand new movement. Here is the Rolex Day-Date 40 with the new Rolex Calibre 3255.

https://monochrome-watches.com/rolex-day-date-40-calibre-3255-review-price/

Really liked the new bracelet style and the refinements. 
Sadly my wallet does not meet my taste else I would have bought one and wear it during franken builds ;)
I would get one in platinum which gets the price around a hefty 50.000. 

What is the opinion on this new Rolex?
Beside the movement.

I like the Yellow Gold, harkens back to the older "classic" DayDates. Slimmer lugs and a slightly smaller case add to the more elegant look of the older models.

Much to like about these except the price!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's how I feel about it and it ain't pretty.  I'm in no way dissin' the OP, just the thought of a $35k or $50k watch.

"What is the opinion on this new Rolex?"

It's just one more step toward rolex being a jewelry company instead of a watch company. I started reading the review and dozed off.  

"Beside the movement."

Movement is a no go, it's not a 1520/30/60/70.  Call me simple but D&D = more stuff to screw with now and break after the warranty runs out.

"I would get one in platinum which gets the price around a hefty 50.000."

Call me cynical but one troy ounce of platinum costs less than one troz of gold.  Gold-oro $1234.  Platy-oh! $984. (4-15-2016)  Rolex groupies claim it cost a LOT more to make a Prez out of platinum than gold because it eats up tool bits...Ha!  Next they will be claiming platinum is harder than their hallowed 904L steeeel aka 'license to steal'.

Btw, a dealer will skin about $20k off of a buyer on a platinum Prez. That's a lot of $$ for the Devil's Own Handshake and a 'free' cappuccino.  Just sayin'.

All BS aside...the truth is a $30 to $50k gold watch is a hard sell on a replica watch forum. Many members are where they are (good shape financially) by not buying crap like this. The only upside to a rolex Prez compared to other high priced swisscrud (18k gold AP Roy Oakie, Pateeek Naughty Naut, Cartier Ugly Le Mutt etc) is the rolex might be worth a bit more than the others in 20 years.

I'm tryin' to be nice here. Call me nice, don't gimme hell.   :pimp: 

Proof of nice:

"I like the Yellow Gold, harkens back to the older "classic" DayDates."

Yep the 1803 etc were classics all right. 

Except for their cheapo hollow bracelet links and hollered out cases    Hollered is close kin to wallered.  If you don't believe me, ask JMB.

• Like 1

"My friend bought a new 1803 in 1969. Price  $999.00  On sale $895. LOL That was a lot for a watch."

I spent all my $$ on cars in 1969 and stayed broke. Paying $999 for a watch was out of the question because $999 would buy a slick original '55, '56, or '57 Chevrolet. Bought a new watch from a rolex AD in 1972 and iirc a yellow Prez was around $1200 and a tt DJ was around $650 or so. I bought a steel DJ and they discounted it, gave me a bracelet, and no sales tax. Back then they would do just about anything to sell a watch. The store sold rolex, GP. omega, Longines and a few others plus Atmos clocks.

Bargains...a jewelry store in town decided to go 100% quartz in the late 1980s and they called and asked if I wanted to buy all their left over stock, mech watch parts, cleaning machines etc. I went over and they had all the watches laid out on a long table. The new mechanical watches were almost all lady styles (they already had a sale on mech watches) but all the trade-ins and watches they had repaired and not picked up were included. I offered $300 for it all and they loaded it up...close to 400 watches including a few Accutrons, Compatrons, Longines, Ball (Trainmaster), Bulova, Wittnauer, Wyler, Zodiac, Seiko, Hamilton, Elgin, Benrus etc. All the cleaning machines, Accutron microscope, tools, parts etc were an extra $100. The only brands they have now are Seiko, Citizen, and a few Timex (all quartz) last time I was in the store.

Bargains like that are very hard to find today because of the internet (eBay, sale forums etc).

As for a new rolex Prez...if they stopped selling they would probably be down to $12k or $15k in a few years. After all, minus all the hype they are just $2k or $3K in gold, a $500 movement, $100 dial, $50 crown, $40 crystal, and a shiny wooden box.

On 4/18/2016 at 11:57 AM, automatico said:

After all, minus all the hype they are just $2k or $3K in gold, a $500 movement, $100 dial, $50 crown, $40 crystal, and a shiny wooden box.

truer words have never been spoken, just dont go on trf with these heathenish views :p

once upon a time platinum was a lot more expensive than gold... but then again so was silver. too many people refer to 904L as the ultimate stainless steel, medical grade even (which it most certainly is not due to its higher nickel content). most rolex owners cant tell their own - from a hole in the ground

16 hours ago, preacher62 said:

Did you see the FG Paul Newman that someone brought to the Antique Roadshow on PBS this week.  He had the original sales slip.  $535.00.  The appraiser priced it at $100K.  The man almost had an MI.  WOW!  What an investment.

That was a serious underestimate too. No doubt it would sell for at least $300k. That owner has since sold it, and it's now being resold by another company. No doubt the guy made a pretty penny but I wish the man had gotten the full price it was worth!