When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My first vintage piece

imajedi

Well, I've finally graduated to the next phase of watch collecting, my first vintage piece is on the way. It seems ridiculous to pay so much for something with old loom and so many nicks and scuffs especially when it probably cost 30x less brand new. I wonder how much I'll like it. I already know it will be my goto when hanging out with serious watch people. However, I remember the feeling of unpacking my 116613 and how amazed I was with the quality and finish. I just couldn't stop staring at it and still am just really blown away when I put it on. That won't happen with this. However, I have a feeling it will have it's own charm.

Just so everyone reading this knows, I blame all of you for this evolution. Everyone on this forum and your ridiculous GD amazing pics of vintage watches all day long. Freddy's 6542 or droptops 1675 and dbane's had so many amazing 65XX subs I can't even keep track of what we're on these days. I just log in and get bevels burned into my retinas each time. I was doomed.

My plan of course is to fill posts here with enough great photos to make someone else reach their next phase and buy a vintage. It's all about paying it forward.

So with that I'll say thanks. Thanks to everyone at RWG for an amazing watch journey. You guys have given me a place to geek out about watches and taught me everything I know. From the early days of buying a few reps, to my first set of tools to you know, fix something here or there. Next it was a PO v5 and a full franken project completed myself. Then go back and Franken everything you own and sell anything you can't. I even dumped my girlfriend because I wanted gen b@@bs. :-). Finally buy a bunch of gens, and now vintage. I made it!!! It's frightening how much I've enjoyed every step. Thanks to everyone large and small. The journey would not be possible without everyone here because it's not one members knowledge but rather the collection of knowledge that makes this place so much fun.

I end with this quote which just seemed appropriate on a number of levels:

"When I met you I was but the learner. NOW I AM THE MASTER."

Pics to follow in a few days.

• Like 1

Hey imajedi, it's great to have you aboard. It's especially nice to watch newbies as they get their legs under them, then start doing amazing things of their own.

We all were noobs at one time, and we remember the vast chasms that lay between where we were, and where we wanted to be. The Jedis of those years guided us, now we're just paying it forward.

The really nice thing about this place is you don't have to fear "asking a dumb question" because you won't get attacked for it. The depth of knowledge here is vast, and the members remember learning it the hard way. Make the effort to follow in their steps and they'll be your biggest supporters.

Your quote is really good, but to me this quote describes this place perfectly:

"We are like dwarfs sitting on the shoulders of giants. We see more, and things that are more distant, than did they, not because our sight is superior or because we are taller than they, but because they raise us up, and by their great stature add to ours."

John of Salisbury, ca. 1159

• Like 2

13 hours ago, imajedi said:

I even dumped my girlfriend because I wanted gen b@@bs. :-). Finally buy a bunch of gens, and now vintage. I made it!!! It's frightening how much I've enjoyed every step.

You are close, but not quite there yet. When you start factoring in how many donations of blood & semen that vintage Rolex bezel, pillar plate or clasp will cost you, then you have made it.;)

• Like 2