When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Has Rolex Taken The "back Seat" In The Rep World?

By-Tor

Im trying to stay out of this but I feel the need to express my view on this.

NONE OF YOU CAN TAKE YOUR FAKE TO THE OFFICIAL DEALER WITH OUT BEING INSTANTLY EXPOSED and shown the door !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NONE OF YOU CAN WEAR YOUR FAKE AROUND FAMILY AND FRIENDS THAT HAVE GENS WITH OUT THE POTENTIAL OF EMBARRASSMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1 Most rolex replicas are sub par. That said there are some really nice reps out there that only need moderate mods to fool most people.

#2 Simple fact is that ALL reps are inaccurate

I think some feel that if they wear a lesser known watch they are safe from being exposed. This untrue!!! As I have read on here many times. Most recently a member stated he was waiting around at his local BMW dealer with what he thought was a good replica (non rolex) to his surprise a he was called out by a another costumer!!!

Theres no replica watch out of the box you can take to a dealer and not be called out instantly. Thats what it boils down to.

Edited by tonyp1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im trying to stay out of this but I feel the need to express my view on this.

NONE OF YOU CAN TAKE YOUR FAKE TO THE OFFICIAL DEALER WITH OUT BEING INSTANTLY EXPOSED and shown the door !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NONE OF YOU CAN WEAR YOUR FAKE AROUND FAMILY AND FRIENDS THAT HAVE GENS WITH OUT THE POTENTIAL OF EMBARRASSMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1 Most rolex replicas are sub par. That said there are some really nice reps out there that only need moderate mods to fool most people.

#2 Simple fact is that ALL reps are inaccurate

I think some feel that if they wear a lesser known watch they are safe from being exposed. This untrue!!! As I have read on here many times. Most recently a member stated he was waiting around at his local BMW dealer with what he thought was a good replica (non rolex) to his surprise a he was called out by a another costumer!!!

Theres no replica watch out of the box you can take to a dealer and not be called out instantly. Thats what it boils down to.

uh, you have been here a month and you're yelling?

plus you are wrong. period. most (99%+) people don't even notice what watch anyone is wearing. i have worn my fm conquistador into an ad that stocks 5-6 high end brands (but not fm) and taken it off and handed it around and no one knew. i also accidentally wore my iwc ingenieur into an ad that had started stocking iwc since my last visit (oops...) and on my wrist no one called it and they showed me a number of watches and gave me the 2006 iwc catalog.

so the next time you feel the need" to make blanket statements filled with absolutes at the top of your lungs, maybe go with your first instinct instead and stay out of it.

if you are so down on reps there are lots of nice gen forums to visit...

Crap. This might apply to Rolex (if the AD is very professional) because the AD's probably have lots of experience with fakes... but I'm sure only the RWG hardcore rep nerds are able to tell the difference about some models...

I have a good friend who's extremely educated about Omegas (he owns the gen Moon Watch and the black Seamaster), works in a Omega AD and he didn't have any idea my Broad Arrow Seagull was a rep when he saw it. And he's a professional WATCHSMITH, authorized to fix genuine Omega watches... not just some average dope salesman who works behind the desk.

And yet that rep is partly a fantasy watch/hybrid. When I told him he was just floored. He realized after a while that the Seagull isn't Lemania, but he had no idea it wasn't a genuine Omega movement. He was stunned to see the finish and overall quality of the watch. Of course he saw the difference in the parts' quality when he took it apart and "froze" my 6' subdial. But he said he had never, ever seen any fake watch like that before.

I ask him to not tell to his collagues... and the guy has 2 reps now btw. :lol:

Lots of members have sized their bracelets in the AD's (not a good idea, imho) and have never been called out. I have known this guy for 20 years. Other than that... I never take my reps to the AD.

You seem to be purchasing the wrong replicas my friend. When you get to the option to pick between Asian and ETA, I would suggest you start picking the ETA version... you might do a little better.

I've had no problem walking in to an AD with my 42mm PO or Link, nor will I with my Link Chrono.

The purpose of the watch salesman seems to be lost on many for some reason. AD salesmen/women are not there to tell you about the watch you're looking to buy; about 3/4 of them have no clue WTF 28k BPH means when I ask them if that's the beat rate for the Omega PO (which we all know here isn't true). They are called "sales" for a reason. I've got a friend in my local BMW club who used to work for Mayors; top seller, made plenty of $$$ selling people Rolex's, Tag's, Omega's; yet when I showed him my PO, he had no clue.. You know why? Because while working at the store, his nametag said SALESMAN not "I have a clue what this watch offers as well as the specifications". The only person I have gotten a smidgen of intelligent information on a watch model in an AD was the manager wearing a DJ that I spent a good 10 mins with discussing Tag's.

If you think you can't walk in to an AD with a decent rep (DECENT being the key word here, and there are plenty of them: Tag Link Chrono, Omega SMP GMT, Omega SMP Chrono, Ultimate PO, B&R 092, IWC Ingenier, etc etc etc) and not get called out... you're wrong. You just have to not be a [censored]tard and flash your $80 Canal street Folex around; and you shouldn't have a problem with this at all.

Edited by pelotudo

NONE OF YOU CAN TAKE YOUR FAKE TO THE OFFICIAL DEALER WITH OUT BEING INSTANTLY EXPOSED and shown the door

I can't imagine any business showing the door to potential customers.

They may very well have a good laugh at you once you've left.. but It's highly unlikely you'll be ejected from the premises.

[censored].

I wore my IWC GST into an AD before I fitted the genuine dial and the guy showed me that the 7750 datewheel used on the Hamiltons was the same as IWC used. Then he said, while holding the Hamilton and the IWC rep both in his hands, that obviously the IWC was better made, of course. :whistling:

To assume that all ADs are staffed by horologeeks is a gross over-estimation of the skills required to sell a fancy blingwatch.

Can't deny that others are just as clever, or even more so in terms of technical development- There are many out there who are redefining the world of horology (i.e. the TAG V4, etc). Personally I feel that a lot of people overlook the fact that Rolex has been very creative in terms of what's under the casebacks of their watches; that was my reasoning for the above post.

The Seiko Spring Drive is REALLY cool. I'd love to get a close look at one of those as I feel this is one of the MOST innovative and significant developments, in watchmaking, to come about in years!

Overall, I agree with you relative to Rolex and it's innovation under the hood. As far as styling goes, Rolex has been holding a steady course for decades. They were producing the sub when quartz/digital watches were all the rage, and survived. Then the quartz analog came along, and again folks were whining that Rolex (and other brands that didn't get on board with the digital revolution), with it's antiquated mechanical movement, would never be able to compete with a the superior timekeeping of a quartz watch. But in the end, Rolex is still king. It has the most copied designs of all time. The Sub and the DJ have been copied by almost EVERY manufacturer, and are STILL being copied to this day! It's hard to call a design 'stale' when new watch companies are still copying the design to this very day. Invicta made it's mark with what? Yep, a Sub copy. Most dive watches, no matter who makes 'em, are nothing more than a variation of the Rolex Submariner. Oh sure, they'll have orange bezels, or larger cases or what-have-you. But they ALL seem to have their design origins based on the classic Oyster design.

I think as WIS's, it's natural to move on from one obsession to the next. Folks new to the hobby usually start with Rolex because Rolex set the standard. As a person becomes more hooked on the hobby, they begin to notice the other brands and to appreciate design trends from other manufacturers. That doesn't mean Rolex has suddenly become 'stale'. It just means that, as a WIS, new and different territory becomes part and parcel of the hobby!

So no, I don't think Rolex has taken a back seat to anyone. Not in the Gen market OR the rep market. Message boards are but a tiny fraction of the market for either category and they tend to be populated by the most extreme WIS-types. So of course these boards will tend to focus on the newest stuff - in this case, the newest and/or most accurate rep's to date. Right now, that seems to be Omega and Breitling offerings, so that's what is being talked about the most.

Interestingly enough, even with all the new 'super' reps coming out for Omega and the others, new Rolex topics still equal or outnumber the others. Hard to call that taking a back seat!

[censored].

I wore my IWC GST into an AD before I fitted the genuine dial and the guy showed me that the 7750 datewheel used on the Hamiltons was the same as IWC used. Then he said, while holding the Hamilton and the IWC rep both in his hands, that obviously the IWC was better made, of course. :whistling:

To assume that all ADs are staffed by horologeeks is a gross over-estimation of the skills required to sell a fancy blingwatch.

+1

In my experience, the VAST majority of those behind the counter are NOT 'horologeeks' in any way and are, in fact, oblivious to the hobby. I've been to countless AD's in the past with my tu-tone DJ and have had nothing but compliments about it. I was at a Jared's here in Pittsburgh a couple years ago looking at the tu-tone Sub's. I took my DJ off to try one on and they offered to clean my DJ. When they brought it back (looking fantastic I might add) they remarked at how good the condition was considering that the watch was 6 years old and a daily 'beater'.

I have NEVER had anyone accuse me of wearing a replica. In fact, most people don't notice my watch at all. Those that do have universally complemented me on what I was wearing.

I guess if you are wearing a $200.00 sub rep along with your Wal-Mart jeans and no-name tennis shoes, while driving a 10-15 year old Ford Tempo, you will likely have a hard time convincing anyone that the Rolex or Omega you are wearing is genuine. Don't forget, the rest of your 'look' has to match in order for folks to believe that what you're wearing is authentic.

Crap. This might apply to Rolex (if the AD is very professional) because the AD's probably have lots of experience with fakes... but I'm sure only the RWG hardcore rep nerds are able to tell the difference about some models...

I have a good friend who's extremely educated about Omegas (he owns the gen Moon Watch and the black Seamaster), works in a Omega AD and he didn't have any idea my Broad Arrow Seagull was a rep when he saw it. And he's a professional WATCHSMITH, authorized to fix genuine Omega watches... not just some average dope salesman who works behind the desk.

And yet that rep is partly a fantasy watch/hybrid. When I told him he was just floored. He realized after a while that the Seagull isn't Lemania, but he had no idea it wasn't a genuine Omega movement. He was stunned to see the finish and overall quality of the watch. Of course he saw the difference in the parts' quality when he took it apart and "froze" my 6' subdial. But he said he had never, ever seen any fake watch like that before.

I ask him to not tell to his collagues... and the guy has 2 reps now btw. :lol:

Lots of members have sized their bracelets in the AD's (not a good idea, imho) and have never been called out. I have known this guy for 20 years. Other than that... I never take my reps to the AD.

Well here's a twist.. a short while ago, i walked into a very reputable rolex AD's store with a gen 5513 and he could not tell for certainty if it was real or gen until he had his watch maker remove the back and inspect the movment and serial number. He told me that cosmetically, some of the reps he has seen are virtually indistinguishable from the gens. This was a major league watch store been selling rolexes for over 50 years in downtown manhattan

UMM WOW, sorry to offend but its the truth. Yes Ive only been on here a month but Ive had GENS for years. Most of my friends have gens so I can speak from experience that fakes aren't going to cut it with those that know fine time pieces. Besides who made you the Post police. As for not being able to pull off a fake do to being poorly dressed what a insult. So by telling me to find a gen forum your giving me walking papers. Thats ok honestly watches arent my first love and im not willing to spend excessive funds on them. These are my First loves and these are the forums I spend most of my time on. But hey leave it to me to get kicked of a replica watch forum.

1. :yawn:

2. you were not kicked off by anyone. all caps is considered yelling on every forum i've ever been on and is considered rude.

3. almost all of us have had gens for years.

4. so your first love is taking really unimaginative pictures of other people's not particularly rare or notable automobiles? didn't know there was a forum for that?

5. grammar and sentence construction and correct word usage counts (due vs do?).

You seem to be purchasing the wrong replicas my friend. When you get to the option to pick between Asian and ETA, I would suggest you start picking the ETA version... you might do a little better.

I've had no problem walking in to an AD with my 42mm PO or Link, nor will I with my Link Chrono.

The purpose of the watch salesman seems to be lost on many for some reason. AD salesmen/women are not there to tell you about the watch you're looking to buy; about 3/4 of them have no clue WTF 28k BPH means when I ask them if that's the beat rate for the Omega PO (which we all know here isn't true). They are called "sales" for a reason. I've got a friend in my local BMW club who used to work for Mayors; top seller, made plenty of $$$ selling people Rolex's, Tag's, Omega's; yet when I showed him my PO, he had no clue.. You know why? Because while working at the store, his nametag said SALESMAN not "I have a clue what this watch offers as well as the specifications". The only person I have gotten a smidgen of intelligent information on a watch model in an AD was the manager wearing a DJ that I spent a good 10 mins with discussing Tag's.

If you think you can't walk in to an AD with a decent rep (DECENT being the key word here, and there are plenty of them: Tag Link Chrono, Omega SMP GMT, Omega SMP Chrono, Ultimate PO, B&R 092, IWC Ingenier, etc etc etc) and not get called out... you're wrong. You just have to not be a [censored]tard and flash your $80 Canal street Folex around; and you shouldn't have a problem with this at all.

True most AD's dont see many good replicas, if they are in store they will be unlikly be spotted unless a watchmaker removes the back OR unless its a model that a salesman has had a huge amount of "dealings" or "sales" with.

I guess if you are wearing a $200.00 sub rep along with your Wal-Mart jeans and no-name tennis shoes, while driving a 10-15 year old Ford Tempo, you will likely have a hard time convincing anyone that the Rolex or Omega you are wearing is genuine. Don't forget, the rest of your 'look' has to match in order for folks to believe that what you're wearing is authentic.

Never had a problem. I don't even own a car and dress very very casually - jeans/khakis, soccer shirt, and sports shoes... reebok, adidas mostly... unusual to be called out wearing a gen or a rep....! The area I live, it's probably best if ppl think it's a rep so I don't get mugged lol.