When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Oem Bezel On The Po Ultimate

kanerich

Thanks to the great write-up by By-tor (or Buy-More as he really should be called) I finally pulled the trigger on a PO after smugly sitting on the sidelines while generation after generation of new and improved versions came out. Well, I've got the Ultimate 45.5 mm PO from EL and I have to say, it is indeed a beauty. How much do I like it? Well I got it and the IWC Inge Chrono at the same time a couple of days ago. The Inge chrono is the watch I really wanted, I only got the PO as a kind of "eh, let's get that too" kind of deal. Well, sorry IWG fans but I prefer the PO, a couple of niggling details (the logo is a hair crooked, the diver extension a bit floppy) aside, it's a great watch. The IWC is great too and actually better put together than the PO, but somehow I just like the latter more. I was a little worried about the 45.5mm size but wears smaller than it is. Besides, considering I've got the 187 pulling off the PO is probably not my biggest problem. :lol:

But all that's peripheral to my question. A few months back cwai pointed out that you can buy genuine PO bezels on ofrei. This is true enough but can you actually install them on reps? One member said he was doing it but then he never reposted so my guess is he didn't follow through. Does anybody know if it's possible to replace the bezel or bezel insert on a PO with a gen from ofrei? Not that I'm all that inclined to do it but it sure would be nice if I could!

I think cwai's mods were for the 42mm version as well.

Ofrei has both 42mm and 45mm, so size is not the problem. Either way if you read through cwai's original post, he doesn't actually say that it is possible to install the oem bezel on the 42mm model, he just says Ofrei sells it. I doubt that the oem is a bolt in, seeing as how you'd have to install the entire bezel (not just insert as with Rolex reps) and it seems highly doubtful to me that any mass-produced rep is that carefully copied. Sure would be nice though, as the bezel (although really good) is still probably a bit of a weak link, especially the pearl and the triangular part around it.

as the bezel (although really good) is still probably a bit of a weak link, especially the pearl and the triangular part around it.

You really think so??? One of the key selling points on the Ultimate was its pearl/insert - a VAST improvement on previous versions and as close to gen as one could hope for (without a loupe of course).

I went over and had a look. The bezel and insert come ready assembled, which means money spent on a part you don't need if all you are doing is trying to make the insert look more authentic. The ultimate PO rep insert (if you get a properly assembled one) does look incredibly accurate, and I think changing it for a gen is money wasted.

(PS. OFrei show the same picture for the two different sizes of black bezel, which is confusing at best!!)

I'd also like to know what the size difference is between the gen 42mm bezel insert and the rep insert is. I put a gen dial, hands and crown & tube on my 42mm 4th gen. It's pretty close to perfect except the bezel pearl (which has fallen out anyhow) and I'd like to put the gen bezel insert in but nobody has explained why the gen insert wont fit. Is it too small or too large? If it's too large by just a bit I'd like to chance it and try to make it fit, but I don't want to spend $200 witout knowing what the difference is.

I'd also like to know what the size difference is between the gen 42mm bezel insert and the rep insert is. I put a gen dial, hands and crown & tube on my 42mm 4th gen. It's pretty close to perfect except the bezel pearl (which has fallen out anyhow) and I'd like to put the gen bezel insert in but nobody has explained why the gen insert wont fit. Is it too small or too large? If it's too large by just a bit I'd like to chance it and try to make it fit, but I don't want to spend $200 witout knowing what the difference is.

Why not spend the extra $200 anyway? :rolleyes: I mean, you've already spent a lot of money (dial, hands, tube, crown) on at best a middle-range rep. Sorry but when it comes to the PO, I just don't understand the point of modding with gen parts :blink: To paraphrase Randy, just go buy a gen, as no rep will ever make you happy.

Why not spend the extra $200 anyway? :rolleyes: I mean, you've already spent a lot of money (dial, hands, tube, crown) on at best a middle-range rep. Sorry but when it comes to the PO, I just don't understand the point of modding with gen parts :blink: To paraphrase Randy, just go buy a gen, as no rep will ever make you happy.

Um, It's not a middle-range rep. The case is 1:1 visually, has sapphire crystal with ar coating (on the inside), has a working HE valve, and other than a tiny gap that is unnoticeable between the bracelet and the end link (which is very comfy and accurate) and a missing serial on the lugs it's now indisdinguishable from the gen (if I replace the pearl or insert)...and the mods I did only took me about a half hour/ 45 minutes.

Alot less work than my MBW red sub, which needed crown guard filing, sanding and polishing, crystal replacement, the crown and tube replaced and the case retapped which required me to buy a tap and a rolex crown tube key, a new bezel insert and pearl, Tudor hands, and a better bracelet because the one it came with was awful. I enjoy modding these and the 42mm is a great base that is easy to mod. The 45mm is too big for my taste.

And why would you be so rude as to tell me how to spend my money? I'd never tell you what to spend your money on or question your decisions on what you decided to mod or not. Thanks for all your help in answering my question. :thumbdown:

Thanks for your advice. I own around twenty reps and have given away many more, and several gens as well. Both reps and gens make me happy. I have some reps modded by The Zigmeister and DaytonaT, most are dead stock, I like them all. If I can spend a few bucks and make a good rep better, I will certainly at least think about it. I'm not wealthy, but I'm not collecting cans to buy my reps either and a couple of hundred dollars isn't going to make any difference anyway.

Look, I'm not asking for value judgments on what is the right amount to spend or whether it is objectively worth it to mod a rep. We've gone down that particular road on this board multiple times and all it leads to are pompous asses making "because I say so" statements. Many members own a half dozen Subs (or more) or a half dozen PO's, or some other multiple of the same or nearly identical watch. Some people spend almost as much money getting their MBW or Pannie "right" as the cost of a used gen. Some people own literally several hundred reps. I personally wouldn't do that but you know what? It doesn't mean squat what I would do in order for other people to enjoy their hobby, people should buy and do what THEY like. That's what a hobby is, it's for your enjoyment . . . there are hundreds of active members on this board, and other than the fact they like reps they have vastly different approaches to the hobby, financial resources, etc. So one size doesn't fit all.

Pugwash and I think Ubiquitous have modded reps (GST Chrono, Seawolf) with gen dials. Weren't those already excellent reps by any standard? Why don't you shoot those members some PM's and lecture them about how they should quit this hobby and just go buy gens if little issues bother them? Since you obviously could educate Pugwash and Ubi. :rolleyes: According to you people like Finepics and Palp are obviously just wasting everyone's time by making trivial things like date cyclopes, datewheels, A/Ring crystals and improving crowns so why don't you tell them to bugger off? Why don't you go tell Trusty and Josh they should stop improving rep quality since anyone who is not happy with the existing reps are clueless and shouldn't buy reps anyway? Somehow, I seriously doubt you are going to do any of these things. And there's a simple reason for that -- you don't have a leg to stand on.

In any case if you read my initial post I say that buying the OEM is NOT something I'm particularly inclined to do -- all I'm asking is "I remember cwai saying something about oem bezels possibly fitting the rep, was there any followup on that." Why wouldn't people want to know, one way or another, considering what a popular rep this is?

Thanks to the great write-up by By-tor (or Buy-More as he really should be called) I finally pulled the trigger on a PO after smugly sitting on the sidelines while generation after generation of new and improved versions came out. Well, I've got the Ultimate 45.5 mm PO from EL and I have to say, it is indeed a beauty. How much do I like it? Well I got it and the IWC Inge Chrono at the same time a couple of days ago. The Inge chrono is the watch I really wanted, I only got the PO as a kind of "eh, let's get that too" kind of deal. Well, sorry IWG fans but I prefer the PO, a couple of niggling details (the logo is a hair crooked, the diver extension a bit floppy) aside, it's a great watch. The IWC is great too and actually better put together than the PO, but somehow I just like the latter more. I was a little worried about the 45.5mm size but wears smaller than it is. Besides, considering I've got the 187 pulling off the PO is probably not my biggest problem. :lol:

But all that's peripheral to my question. A few months back cwai pointed out that you can buy genuine PO bezels on ofrei. This is true enough but can you actually install them on reps? One member said he was doing it but then he never reposted so my guess is he didn't follow through. Does anybody know if it's possible to replace the bezel or bezel insert on a PO with a gen from ofrei? Not that I'm all that inclined to do it but it sure would be nice if I could!

I tried fitting an OEM PO bezel onto a rep PO. It does not work. I posted my results somewhere else on the board. Bottom-line is that the OEM bezel is constructed totally different from the rep and the two are not compatible. My initial try was just exchange bezel inserts - it doesn't work as the inserts are not built the same. Then I tried to put on the entire thing - does not work for the same reason. I say, don't buy it. The OEM hands and, I believe, the OEM dial still fit, however.

I tried fitting an OEM PO bezel onto a rep PO. It does not work. I posted my results somewhere else on the board. Bottom-line is that the OEM bezel is constructed totally different from the rep and the two are not compatible. My initial try was just exchange bezel inserts - it doesn't work as the inserts are not built the same. Then I tried to put on the entire thing - does not work for the same reason. I say, don't buy it. The OEM hands and, I believe, the OEM dial still fit, however.

Finally an actual answer to the mans question...

Shit, we sure our a debating group of peeps...

Opinions galore...

:lol:

TT

Is the gen bezel insert smaller than the rep bezel insert, or larger? What was the fit problem? (I realize the bezel itself doesn't fit, and that doesn't surprise me but it does surprise me that the bezel insert didn't fit, especially since the dial was drop-in perfect. What size and generation PO rep do you have?

Thanks to the great write-up by By-tor (or Buy-More as he really should be called)

"Buy-More"... I like that. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Glad you're enjoying the PO. A rep can't really get much better than that. But yeah... adding OEM bezel and double AR coating would make it virtually perfect.

There's the information I was looking for -- thanks very much!

The rep bezel is not bad at all, but the outline of lower part of the little triangle around the pearl (black bezel version like mine) is very faint compared to the gen, and I can foresee the lines completely wearing off a lot sooner rather than later. I suppose I could just touch it up, but I thought it couldn't hurt to consider the various options. It has nothing to do with being happy with reps, but being commonsensical about the fact that rep pieces sometimes fall off or wear out, and the more sources for parts ID'd, the better.

Thanks for your advice. I own around twenty reps and have given away many more, and several gens as well. Both reps and gens make me happy. I have some reps modded by The Zigmeister and DaytonaT, most are dead stock, I like them all. If I can spend a few bucks and make a good rep better, I will certainly at least think about it. I'm not wealthy, but I'm not collecting cans to buy my reps either and a couple of hundred dollars isn't going to make any difference anyway.

Look, I'm not asking for value judgments on what is the right amount to spend or whether it is objectively worth it to mod a rep. We've gone down that particular road on this board multiple times and all it leads to are pompous asses making "because I say so" statements. Many members own a half dozen Subs (or more) or a half dozen PO's, or some other multiple of the same or nearly identical watch. Some people spend almost as much money getting their MBW or Pannie "right" as the cost of a used gen. Some people own literally several hundred reps. I personally wouldn't do that but you know what? It doesn't mean squat what I would do in order for other people to enjoy their hobby, people should buy and do what THEY like. That's what a hobby is, it's for your enjoyment . . . there are hundreds of active members on this board, and other than the fact they like reps they have vastly different approaches to the hobby, financial resources, etc. So one size doesn't fit all.

Pugwash and I think Ubiquitous have modded reps (GST Chrono, Seawolf) with gen dials. Weren't those already excellent reps by any standard? Why don't you shoot those members some PM's and lecture them about how they should quit this hobby and just go buy gens if little issues bother them? Since you obviously could educate Pugwash and Ubi. :rolleyes: According to you people like Finepics and Palp are obviously just wasting everyone's time by making trivial things like date cyclopes, datewheels, A/Ring crystals and improving crowns so why don't you tell them to bugger off? Why don't you go tell Trusty and Josh they should stop improving rep quality since anyone who is not happy with the existing reps are clueless and shouldn't buy reps anyway? Somehow, I seriously doubt you are going to do any of these things. And there's a simple reason for that -- you don't have a leg to stand on.

In any case if you read my initial post I say that buying the OEM is NOT something I'm particularly inclined to do -- all I'm asking is "I remember cwai saying something about oem bezels possibly fitting the rep, was there any followup on that." Why wouldn't people want to know, one way or another, considering what a popular rep this is?

Christ, knickers in a twist or what? :blink:

@kanerich/collector - my point was it has already well established that Omega reps, cases bezels etc. especially are not 1:1 not even the Ultimate PO. You're also very VERY wrong in your assumptions as I'm the last person to be anti-mod, Palp and Ubi are old friends, and I've modded many a watch, vintage Rollies, Pams etc. What I find strange though is trying to jerry-rig expensive genuine parts onto a 4th gen 42mm PO (middle-range in the sense it's not the best PO out there) - you're making a rod for your own back especially with the bezel - NF has kindly reminded you that it's a non-starter. If I were you I'd wait/hope/pray for an Ultimate 42. of course, it's your money to burn and who am I to stop you? Quite. Didn't mean to offend, it was more exasperation talking than anything else.

Is the gen bezel insert smaller than the rep bezel insert, or larger? What was the fit problem? (I realize the bezel itself doesn't fit, and that doesn't surprise me but it does surprise me that the bezel insert didn't fit, especially since the dial was drop-in perfect. What size and generation PO rep do you have?

First Question: Smaller.

Second Question: The OEM bezel insert is not a disk like our rep bezel insert. Instead, it is built into/fused with the bezel itself. It is rather well constructed I must admit. You can grind and sand the bezel insert off from the OEM bezel that it comes with, but you still end up with a OEM bezel that is smaller than the rep. In the case of the 42 mm PO, the OEM bezel does not make it over the crystal. I suspect that the 45mm bezel has similar issues. However, if one is willing to risk about $300 USD on this question, go ahead and let us know the results. I suggest not to do it based on my experience with the 42 mm PO.

Third Question: 42 mm PO. Orange Bezel, 4th Gen from Joshua. Plus, I also have the 45 mm PO "Ultimate" from Joshua (but my OEM bezel experience is with the 42 mm PO.

I went into more detail on another post if you use the search button with my screen name. I'm at work, so I have no time to provide a link right now. Good luck with your mods. :)

I bought a midsize gen bezel still in packet off the bay for $60. The insert is actually crimped to a lip on the underside of the bezel so absolutely no way to get a gen insert to fit. What did fit though was the gen pearl which, with a bit of glue, ended up in place of the rep pearl. So whilst still not quite the perfect placement for it in the triangle it does at least look much more like the gen cos it is!!

First Question: Smaller.

Second Question: The OEM bezel insert is not a disk like our rep bezel insert. Instead, it is built into/fused with the bezel itself. It is rather well constructed I must admit. You can grind and sand the bezel insert off from the OEM bezel that it comes with, but you still end up with a OEM bezel that is smaller than the rep. In the case of the 42 mm PO, the OEM bezel does not make it over the crystal. I suspect that the 45mm bezel has similar issues. However, if one is willing to risk about $300 USD on this question, go ahead and let us know the results. I suggest not to do it based on my experience with the 42 mm PO.

Third Question: 42 mm PO. Orange Bezel, 4th Gen from Joshua. Plus, I also have the 45 mm PO "Ultimate" from Joshua (but my OEM bezel experience is with the 42 mm PO.

I went into more detail on another post if you use the search button with my screen name. I'm at work, so I have no time to provide a link right now. Good luck with your mods. :)

Thanks much for taking the time to answer my questions. Maybe I'll do what Finepics did and hunt down another Omega bezel for the pearl. My pearl placement is actually vey good, luckily in the same place as gen. It will be perfect....perfect I say! Hahahahahahah! Ahem.