When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Skinny On The Big Pilot

beanyboy

I have always thought the IWC Big Pilot watch was very cool. I just saw a movie about German luftwaffe pilots and they all had the watch on and it looks totally awesome. A watch with a real presence. So I just started looking at the board and looking at some of the sites and dealers that sell that watch, and they seem surprisingly cheap. In fact, the lovely Ms. King is willing to sell me one for $95 delivered because she said she would honor her Christmas sale offer.

SO what am I missing here? I know it's gonna have an Asian movement, which doesn't bother me. I know it's probably gonna have a crappy strap that I'll have to replace. But why so cheap?

Finally, to the extent somebody reading this has an opinion as to which dealer sells the best version, I'd love to know about it, including finding one that has an Eta movement in it if such a version exists.

Thanks to all.

Beany

Actually there isn't a really good version on the market the dial is a dead giveaway... check the pics below...

BTW: There had been several companies who produced the Big Pilot or "Beobachtungsuhr" maybe you should also check out Ebay for a nice one too...

GEN:

184158-6400.jpg

FAKE:

184158-6401.jpg

I would suggest also the Steinhart Pilot watches to you (gold, SS or PVD): Click here for Steinhart HP for more pics: Click here

184158-6402.jpg

184158-6403.jpg

Archimede:

184158-6404.jpg

And here a few Ebay Links:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

• 2 months later...
I hope this is not just a guess but that you actually have some info...... :whistling:

i belive that rep factories are aware of the BP and of the success that rep could have...the main probl for them could be the movement for the watch...

so we are patiently waiting.... :whistling:

i belive that rep factories are aware of the BP and of the success that rep could have...the main probl for them could be the movement for the watch...

so we are patiently waiting.... :whistling:

i know...and i doubt they will be able to create a movement with the datwheel so far outside and a working reserve indicator...as much as the factories have made improvements in working with

different materials (ceramic see HBB) if they could would improve their movement skills that much, they might as well start a genuine brand...

• 3 weeks later...

I am willing to bet they will figure it out. There are a hell of a lot of Asian movement to choose from when picking the base. The question is which manufacturer distributor will have the nerve to order the required 1,000 minimum for a customized movement. It is too big a profit opportunity and it is a whole new world out there. The question is how long will the movement work. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a gen Big Pilot at a local watch shop that really nice. If one of my clients doesn't stiff me, and if the shop owner comes down in price some, then I will own my first genuine IWC. And, for those experienced RWGers who said the fake doesn't have the presence of the gen, you couldn't have been more correct.

Thanks again for your input on this thread.

Beany

Amazing. Beanyboy is still waiting for the nice big P, but may compromise his standards and buy a cheapie anyway.

Thanks for the infor update.

• 2 weeks later...

Just came back friday from a buisness realted trip to Munich , before boarding the plane to Vienna i was in a watch store on the airport ... coud not resist the temptation of trying some watches so i tried the 39mm plot and found it nice but small for my wrist after that one put on the big pilot waaaaaaw ... i just stood there with amazement and did not say a word ... the store assistant probabaly thought something is wrong with me hehehe ...

Love it , cant afford it :( please make a decent rep ... hallo anyone out there ... make rep of big pilot ... now ... hallo ehhhhhhh :p;):D