When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dannys Guide To Press In A Crystal With Cyclops While A Crystal Press Would Crack It

Hello,

I'm sure you all faced this problem: I recently purchased a yachtmaster and the crystal was a tad misaligned. So I took my watch apart, pushed out the crystal with my thumbs and put it back on in the correct position.

But then the Problems began...I was not able to push it in with my thumbs. I mean it was sitting kind of tight, but when i put the bezel back on, one side of the crystal was higher than the other. It was not just looking absolutely ugly but the waterresistance seemed to be put in jeopardy (as one side of the crystal was not fully in). Well, a crystal press could crack the crystal, because of the cyclops.

So this is what I did:

First i push in the crystal by hand so it sits somewhat tight.

Then, take a rubber (a typical one you know from school) and put it on the side of the crystal which is higher than the rest.

Now take a hammer (im not kidding) and gently hammer on the rubber, but make sure you dont put the rubber on the cyclops.

Well repeat that on several edges of the crystal until it sits tight and is even.

When you put the bezel back on you will see, the crystal is perfectly aligned and pushed in...just like a crystal press would do.

This method should not crack the crystal because the rubber acts as a buffer.

Already pressed in 3 crystals this way...

Hope I could help you!

Danny

First i push in the crystal by hand so it sits somewhat tight.

Then, take a rubber (a typical one you know from school) and put it on the side of the crystal which is higher than the rest.

Now take a hammer (im not kidding) and gently hammer on the rubber, but make sure you dont put the rubber on the cyclops.

Well repeat that on several edges of the crystal until it sits tight and is even.

Please don't get offended - but this is really a description of how to NOT do this job...!!!

Believe me, you always need the right tools. If you don't have - give it to a Rep-Friendly watchsmith.

Most of them even will do this for free as it is done within a minute...

If we ignore him, maybe he will get the hint and move under another bridge somewhere far away from us...

In the meantime, I wait with baited breath for the next installement of "Watch Repairing by a DUMMY", what scares me even more, is the posts where he is asking people to send him their watch so he can work on it, hopefully no one will ever take him up on that offer.

RG

i like to use tissues and rubber bands and instead of a hammer, i use c-clamps. I just grab the clamps i use to compress the pistons into my brake calipers when i put new brake pads on my car.

NOTE TO Mods...

How much more of this do we have to endure?

First the Hockey Puck and vise for crystal installation, and now a HAMMER for crystal installation...come one, this is getting out of hand.

It's not hard to see the agenda of this TROLL, he is trying and encourage and entice our members to DAMAGE or BREAK their watches using his stupid suggestions. There is no question that this individual has one agenda, to stir the pot here, but worse, to try and get people to use his "methods" or worse yet, have some poor sap from the forum send this person a watch so he can wreck it for them.

Can we please delete these posts since they could cause someone to damage their property, and can we stop this type of post, in other words, as soon as there is another post like this from this fool, delete it immediatly.

Unless I am the only one that thinks leaving his posts up is NOT benificial to RWG or the members, and serves only to feed and encourage him...

I would like to hear the thoughts of others.

RG

I think The Zigmeister is right - at first I found this numpty amusing, and found it hard not to laugh at the sheer ineptitude and moronic behaviour (if true :brow:) of the 'sapphire crystal massacre'. I recall describing him as our very own Darwin Award entry, which to my shame led me to post a picture of a somewhat cerebrally-challenged beaver, which caused Rob no small amount of distress for which I apologise profusely :unsure::lol:

However, the joke (FlippedLid himself) is now boring and this guy is starting to irritate :yawn: That said, I for one don't believe in censorship and unless there's evidence he's doing harm, I say just ignore the troll. If he IS trying to get noobs and novices to try his 'methods' and thereby break their watches, then I'm afraid I have to say 'more fool them'...

The real watchsmiths should welcome these methods as it will no doubt increase their profits. I do perform several "MacGuyver" type methods when working on reps. However, I know my limitations, as I haven't even thought about opening my genuine Breitling. I like experimenting and playing. I limit my playing to cases and such.. I don't have the patience to work on movements.

uh yeah, and I always disrobe, oil up, and put on a welding helmet before sitting down to my sit-and-spin work bench to use a big rubber [censored] to tap my crystals in. I can't believe you guys would question such masterful techniques. We all a debt of grattitude to FLB for sharing his wisdom.

How bout a "What NOT to do" section...?

you know that this would be beneficial if it was 'at least' tagged "What NOT to do" before people read anything like this...

And, as people do random and stupid acts of watch repair, we can document it... whether or not it works!!! just cuz it may have worked for one person doesn't mean it is the correct way to do it... (ex. using duct tape to remove a case-back has never worked for me... but it has worked for others.. however, a $15 purchase of a case-back remover would be the correct way to do it...)

but this thread would definitely be in the realm of idiotic things to attempt!!!

BTW, does the "big rubber dildo" really work on inserting crystals?!?!

PP

Edited by poopypants

While i think these threads are funny (and contribute my own bit to the madness) i do agree with The Zigmeister - this guy needs to have his leash reigned in and his threads locked/deleted. Someone that might not pick up on the stupidity or the sarcasm may actually try to use these methods and damage an otherwise good watch.

Dear The Zigmeisterzumba and others...

It's absolutely okay if you delete this thread...I just wanted to share my experiences with other rep collectors...especially with those who disasselmbled their watch and are not willing to pay lots of $$$ for a crystal press with cyclops support or anything. The applied physical force (to press in the crystal) is always the same, no matter if it comes from a press, or from the rubber.

I'm just curious how you can judge my "way" without having even tried it. I admit when you say it sounds brutal but that doesn't mean it won't work.

Also: Im not talking about taking a 10kg hammer and wildly hammer on the crystal. I was talking about securing the higher edge of the crystal with a thick rubber and gently hammer it in with a small hammer...

Anyways, causing trouble is the last thing i would want, so its okay if you just delete this thread...helping is all I wanted.

But if you want to, ... i can also provide a video of how the crystal thing is done (my way)...

Dear The Zigmeisterzumba and others...

It's absolutely okay if you delete this thread...I just wanted to share my experiences with other rep collectors...especially with those who disasselmbled their watch and are not willing to pay lots of $$$ for a crystal press with cyclops support or anything. The applied physical force (to press in the crystal) is always the same, no matter if it comes from a press, or from the rubber.

I'm just curious how you can judge my "way" without having even tried it. I admit when you say it sounds brutal but that doesn't mean it won't work.

Also: Im not talking about taking a 10kg hammer and wildly hammer on the crystal. I was talking about securing the higher edge of the crystal with a thick rubber and gently hammer it in with a small hammer...

Anyways, causing trouble is the last thing i would want, so its okay if you just delete this thread...helping is all I wanted.

But if you want to, ... i can also provide a video of how the crystal thing is done (my way)...

Oh you're clever. A very measured unemotional response. Sarcasm, [censored] take, Troll, Rolex movement duplication using CNC (inspired that one!), modding service and even the offer of a video...

Guys stop feeding it.

Dear ziggyzumba and others...

You have absolutely no intention of sharing anything with anyone here. Your only agenda is to try and convince the good folks here to damage their watches, or send them to you so you can damage them. You readily admitted that you bought 3 genuine crystals, at a cost of $750, all because you did not want to spend $50 on a crystal press. That was last week, if that wasn’t enough, this week your suggesting we use hammers to install our crystals

A good quality crystal press, ABLE to install ALL types of crystals, including those with Cyclops on them, is less than $50. Watchmaking has been around for 300 years, there are acceptable and normal methods of doing certain tasks, just like there are in any trade. You obviously know nothing about mechanical properties, pressing any item that is an interference fit (crystal is an interference fit, movement jewels are interference fit, bearings in your car wheels are interference fit, etc) requires even steady pressure applied equally to the item your trying to get installed. Which is why we use a press.

Using a Hammer and trying to get others to do the same, or better yet a hockey puck and a vise, is just but two examples in your BS posts here.

I can judge your way because I know what I am talking about, and you don’t. I care less if you say it works, are you going to show pictures like you did on the vise and hockey puck installation, were no one could even make out if it was even a watch, let alone see the details of your "Bathroom Silicone and epoxy crystal installation".

You have been on my ignored list for a long time, I only hope that everyone does the same, as long as we continue to answer you, you’ll think your being clever, sorry pal, were much smarter than you’ll ever be.

End of discussion, and hopefully the mods will put an end to your BS and misleading posts.

RG

The applied physical force (to press in the crystal) is always the same, no matter if it comes from a press, or from the rubber.

Please nobody listen to this. The force from a hammer is concentrated on a small region of the crystal which can easily result in breakage while the force from a press with a properly sized die is distributed over a large surface area and therefore very unlikely to cause problems.

Mods, is it time for a ban yet?

In the meantime......

:feedtroll3pr: