When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 3035 "momevent Replicas" ... Does Such Thing Exist?

FlipLockBuckle

Hello,

I was wondering if something like "rolex movement" replicas exist? I mean it should be not that much of a problem to take apart a 3035 gen movement, and copy all the parts.

Do you know if such thing exists? And do you know what i would need to have in order to start such a project myself...except the movement itself?

Thank you very much for your help?

Danny

Do you know if such thing exists? And do you know what i would need to have in order to start such a project myself...except the movement itself?

You'd need a precision factory to make a perfect replica of a Rolex movement.

No-one does it because it's hard. Like invest-in-a-factory hard.

Hello,

I was wondering if something like "rolex movement" replicas exist? I mean it should be not that much of a problem to take apart a 3035 gen movement, and copy all the parts.

Thank you very much for your help?

Danny

A couple of years ago, you'd have been laughed off the board if you asked when the chinese were going to copy the 7750, 2892, and 6947. The 3035, like the el primero, is a slightly different animal, but I'm not going to be one of the people in thread who are going to tell you, "No way, never going to happen." Judging from their products, I see seagull and other chinese factories improving their technoloigy and capabilities at an amazing rate...

If you're asking if you can build a 3035 from parts you scrape up piecemiel, the asnweer is yes if you know how to build a watch, but I bet at the end you'll wish you'd just gone and bought a gen rolex because it's would have been cheaper...

If you're asking if you can build a 3035 from parts you scrape up piecemiel, the asnweer is yes if you know how to build a watch, but I bet at the end you'll wish you'd just gone and bought a gen rolex because it's would have been cheaper...

You forgot to mention you also need to do it in a country less serious about trademark infringement than the US, anywhere in Europe, Australia, etc.

I called a friend of mine, and he told me that it's possible without any problems.

All that would be needed for that is all parts of the movement in a CAD document. The machine would simply do the rest.

Now the big question...how the hell can i get the movement parts into a CAD file?

Does your friend make many watch movements? :blink:

What he's talking about is CNC manufacturing, and he's not taking into account springs, rubies, several different materials, etc., let alone the sheer scale. These are tiny, tiny precision parts.

Yes, in theory it's dead easy, just like swimming the English channel: Just point yourself at France and swim. The reality is a lot different, though.

Yes CAD would be needed along with a water jet metal cutter which is only ab out $1,000,000.

You can also use a hockey puck and a vice along with tin snips. LOL

You forgot to mention you also need to do it in a country less serious about trademark infringement than the US, anywhere in Europe, Australia, etc.

Copyright law wouldn't be an issue if you just copied the movement without all the logos. Nothing illeagal about copying a non trademarked part. I would be happy with a non logo 3135 copy movement to make a decent day date and fit a genuine dial perfectly. Other than that there is really no reason to copy this movement. The ETA's work just as well and unless you are trying to rip someone off, what is the point of opening the watch?

Hahaha - the hockey puck and vice gag will go around and come around - awesome. The new Jetmid! :)

CNC is nice and all, but .05 won't be enough. Also - Monometallic springs in correct and i mean 1000000% correct dimension, microstella screws etc - how should that be done with a CNC or so...

The Asians will do it - sooner or later. Probably. But what probably also is true - where there is no need there won't be improvement. But then again, why the hell did they engrave some ETA's in Rolex style and cut the rotor? It's invisible anyway... Improvement - for what?

So those movements do exist !?... man for a moment i thought i was having halusionations... i liked those dressed up etas... a lot nicer looking then the stock etas with the rolex plate on the rotor .... anyone have any pictures of one ?

I can't aee any real difficulty in doing it. After all the people who would do so are the same people who make all the movements we currently use includung the 7750 copies and the new ETA copies. So no factories need to be built.. they already have them and are pretty efficient at copying movements. The Rolex 3xxx series is actually very simple and is designed for ease of production and servicing.

The reason it hadn't happened is far more likely to be economic, even if you do have the factory it would still cost a fair bit or R and D time to get right and whilst it would sell like hot cakes here, the average replice buyer probably couldn't care less.

My personal view though is that its only a matter of time until it happens. With ETA movement getting scarce that could well be the motivation.

Hmmm? Ok i'll chime in...

Why not let the manufacturers get the case and other parts down first, before jumping into the pit of "movements"?!?!

Plus, the only reason that this would be beneficial, is if they did a true 1:1 case... (which these days seems to be purely brilliant marketing)

that way, the stem would be in the "correct" location, hence the NEED for a genuine-spec case for 3035/3135 movements...

Believe me, It would be a dream come true for many... However, lets come back to earth, and realize that after all these years incorrectly rep'ing a rlx, you really think they would get it right on the inside? - puff, puff, give!

PP

I called a friend of mine, and he told me that it's possible without any problems.

All that would be needed for that is all parts of the movement in a CAD document. The machine would simply do the rest.

Now the big question...how the hell can i get the movement parts into a CAD file?

Perhaps you might ask your friend if he can CNC you some proper tools to work on your watches first...

Yes that movement ring would be very nice to have!

One member of this forum driven me to this link : julesborel

They sell "enlargement rings" for ETA 2834. This guy used it for a datejust case and had to trim it a bit but result was ok. I'm going to order but international orders must be of a minimum of 50 USD + shipping. Before to do it I'll try in some big watchmaker malls in town. If no success, I'll order three of these ones.

PS: thanks stilty for your help!

@vmena.

You are located in Europa I think ?

Maybe we could do a "shared order" from JulesBorel ?

You get the pack from USA, and just forward some of them to me :)

I need at least 2-3 of these myself.

( Any idea if the "enlargement ring" could work also for a 2892-2/A2 movement, have several good swiss 2892 now and prefere it over the 2824/36)