When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Big Problem With A Crown Stem.

Bignasty

So today I went to pull the crown on my Navitimer World GMT to quickly adjust the time and yeah it broke off in my hand. To even worsen the situation the stem broke off clean, meaning I have nothing to grab ahold of to remove the remaining portion. I have 7750 stems but they are worthless if I have no crown. Anyone have any tips or tricks that might help me out? I know there are screw extractors that reverse out screws but do these exist this small? What would a watchmaker do in this situation?

If no advice other than new crown does anyone know where I could source this part? I contacted the dealer and he stated that parts are becoming difficult to obtain and that he can't make any promises.

Thanks in advance guys and gals.

Cheers

:victory:

I face this issue alot when i restore old genuine watches. The stem is broken off where the crown ends. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it. Sometimes, if the part of the stem is still reachable - I would douse it in WD40 overnight and use a pin vice to try to get it out. Its worked about 1 out of 10 times.

You will need to get another crown. Sorry buddy.

There are acid solutions to disolve the broken stem from inside what ever it broke off in.. but you need to work out what material each part is and use the appropriate acid. It only works if both parts are differerent metals though. I'm pretty sure Ofrei's stock them.

Alternatly you could try to file a tiny slot into the end of the broken stem to allow a screw driver to grip. With a very fine cut off wheel in a dremel you might just be able to cut deep enough. Use the WD40 or similar first to loosen it.

There are acid solutions to disolve the broken stem from inside what ever it broke off in.. but you need to work out what material each part is and use the appropriate acid. It only works if both parts are differerent metals though. I'm pretty sure Ofrei's stock them.

Alternatly you could try to file a tiny slot into the end of the broken stem to allow a screw driver to grip. With a very fine cut off wheel in a dremel you might just be able to cut deep enough. Use the WD40 or similar first to loosen it.

good idea but if it's in tight enough that it broke off, i doubt a screwdriver will get it out.

please send me a picture of your crown. i have an extra brietling crown that may work for you.

Angus seems to think he can get me a replacement direct from the manufacturer but just in case I'm going to take some pictures as soon as my camera's battery charges up.

Thanks for all the responses guys! Its nice to have a support group when issues like these arise! :wounded1::thumbsupsmileyanim:

I thought about your problem for a while during a particularly boring meeting today. here is what I came up with,,,,,,,,,who knows if it will work,,,probably not but at least there would be little lost except your time. I would let it soak in wd40 then tape it to something that will vibrate at a high frequency, maybe a drill or something. Perhaps you can shake it loose? all you need is a little to come out to get a hold of it.