When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any James Bond Experts Here?

BMWrolex

I'm having difficulty finding out which model submariner Ian Fleming's James Bond wore in his movies...

Many vintage Rolex collectors call all early Submariners without crown guards (shoulderless) the James Bond Submariner, while others in the watch collecting field believe that the watch Connery wore in Dr. No and the others was the Rolex Submariner model 6538. Still other collectors believe that the Submariner Connery wore was more than likely one of four models or that perhaps each of the four models made an appearance in each of the early films, they are the 6200, 6538A, thick cased 6538 and the 5510. I believe that it is impossible to nail it down to one of the four models, and I'll get into the specifics later.
Source

Whats your opinion on this.... Which model submariner do you consider bonds ultimate?

I'm just trying to find an accurate MBW to work with in the future, so I'd like an idea of what you people think so I can do some additional research.

I'm having difficulty finding out which model submariner Ian Fleming's James Bond wore in his movies...

Source

Whats your opinion on this.... Which model submariner do you consider bonds ultimate?

I'm just trying to find an accurate MBW to work with in the future, so I'd like an idea of what you people think so I can do some additional research.

I'm working on the same thing :whistling:

Waiting for answer from G/MBW to see if they can come up w/ a better platform than the Milgauss

There's no definitive answer as to which Sub(s) were worn. Lots of info here.

With regards to replicating it, the best starting point would have been one of the Silix CG'less vintage subs (none were 100% correct in all details but the cases were good), but sadly they are all now 'out of production'.

With regards to replicating it, the best starting point would have been one of the Silix CG'less vintage subs (none were 100% correct in all details but the cases were good), but sadly they are all now 'out of production'.

To quote a line from 'Rita, Sue and Bob Too'..........."You took yer bloody time!"

So what would be the best starting rep model (currently available) to make the bond watch?

Milgauss 6541 MBW?

Not to be pedantic but 'Ian Fleming's Bond' wore a unidentified 'Rolex Oyster' in the books...what you're really asking is 'what model Sub of his own did Ian Fleming lend to Sean Connery during the filming of Dr No?'. Sorry it's national anal-retentive day over here :lol:

"Base calling r11co, base calling r11co, come in please!"
^_^

I do have to do some work once in a while.......
^_^ that's right you tell him Rico, not all of us can hang about all day "moderating" y'know ;)

So what would be the best starting rep model (currently available) to make the bond watch? Milgauss 6541 MBW?
Personally I'd trawl around for the Milgauss 6541 from Silix in the trade section - they do pop up from time to time :whistling: and after all you're talking about a $300+ difference in price otherwise :o

I would think a Milguass case would be too small (around 37mm according to TWG and I would have guessed it was 36mm like a Datejust) and then you have to fit a Sub bezel to it. There is no easy answer at this point. You can go to

http://www.watchsilix.com/

and look at the old ROL187 which is the old sorta close to a 6538 watch that Jay and Angel used to carry. Maybe if enough people showed some interest, they could bring it back. It's a good starting point. I have one which I'd like to change into a 6542 GMT, if I could just find a dial (which would have to fit in the case, but real Rolex dials might be too small).

You can go to

and look at the old ROL187 which is the old sorta close to a 6538 watch that Jay and Angel used to carry. Maybe if enough people showed some interest, they could bring it back. It's a good starting point. I have one which I'd like to change into a 6542 GMT, if I could just find a dial (which would have to fit in the case, but real Rolex dials might be too small).

Hear here! There are two watch purchases I regret not making. One was a (genuine) ETA2892 powered 40th Anniversary 007 SMP from River. At the time (before I knew of watch forums) I thought it was ridiculously expensive for a rep. As I found out it was expensive for a quality rep, but with good reason...

The other is the ROL187 from Silix. I wish sometimes they'd take it off the site and stop taunting me.

(Actually, ROL170 would have been even better, save the glaring misprint on the dial).

I would think a Milguass case would be too small (around 37mm according to TWG and I would have guessed it was 36mm like a Datejust) and then you have to fit a Sub bezel to it. There is no easy answer at this point. You can go to

Maybe if the group was large enough, Silix could special order one last round of these Bond watches.

I'm in for 2 :victory:

Ah lads, it's nothing you guys have any control over... my life has suddenly got orders of magnitude more complex and I'm crazy busy just to keep up and meet some deadlines. Partly it's a security issue so that has to take precedence.

So the old trout (MU) is stalking you huh? :lol:

Seriously, doesn't sound like fun - hope things go back to stress-free in Casa Nanuq asap.