When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Interesting "real Or Fake" Smp Discussion On Timezone

chrgod

I just came across this discussion on Timezone. Can't see that it has been mentioned here, so I thought it could be of interest.

It is the classic "I want to buy this watch, but is it fake?" discussion. The watch in question is the timeless Seamaster Professional , Bond-watch.

I belive that the watch in question is real; The pearl is a tad too good for a rep and the crown guards are excellent... It even has a serial number on the seven o'clock lug.. As far as I know it is only the newest SMP Chronograph replica and the ultimate PO which have an engraved serial number. I have never seen the Bond model replica with an engraved serial number.. The plast tag has the same number. The wave pattern on the dial looks a bit weak, though..

195075-3923.jpg

However. Several TZ members think this watch is fake.. End links looks wrong, Omega logo is wrong, hippocampus tail looks odd, font on "Professional Chronometer" looks odd... It is fun too see how they discuss the minor details, just like us! :)

One interesting thing they mention is that the openings in the back of the endlinks for the spring bars are too square... "It should be more rounded". The funny thing is that my SMP replica actually has nice rounded openings for the spring bars! :)

Anyway..here is the discussion.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tre...ev=&reveal=

That is 100% real. The date-window is spot-on, and the 'perfect' pearl is only a recent development on reps with the advent of the SMP chrono and uPO. Plus no standard SMP rep came with such a shallow caseback - only the 007's ever sported 2892 which would allow such a fitting and the caseback on them is of course a different design.

Rounded end-link access holes are the sign of a later model 'closed factory' rep (ie. 2824 based one). This is quite funny actually, and indeed suggests that some people have ended up with gen watches with aftermarket bracelets attached. Having said that, the closed factory bracelet was a masterpiece anyway - as good as the gen and I have my watchmaker's word for that - and the rounded access holes are nothing you can't fix with some care and a square needle-file.....

that's too funny!

Err, no it's not. I certainly wouldn't be laughing if I'd bought a watch I thought was genuine in good faith to be told via a website it was a fake.

It seems he has had his money refunded so that's something.

At least we know they are reps when we get them.

That is 100% real. The date-window is spot-on, and the 'perfect' pearl is only a recent development on reps with the advent of the SMP chrono and uPO. Plus no standard SMP rep came with such a shallow caseback - only the 007's ever sported 2892 which would allow such a fitting and the caseback on them is of course a different design.

Rounded end-link access holes are the sign of a later model 'closed factory' rep (ie. 2824 based one). This is quite funny actually, and indeed suggests that some people have ended up with gen watches with aftermarket bracelets attached. Having said that, the closed factory bracelet was a masterpiece anyway - as good as the gen and I have my watchmaker's word for that - and the rounded access holes are nothing you can't fix with some care and a square needle-file.....

wow. that was an impressive assessment.