When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question About Panerai Service...

V

Well I send last week my gen 112 to the Panerai service to clean a small dust on the dial.

Now that I got it back I have a strange feeling that the glass instead of only inside AR coating that had before now it has both sides AR coating..

I think it is more intense than before...Is there a chance that they have changed my crystal???? I haven't paid anything of course because it is still in guarantee... why change a brand new glass for a new one with their own cost???

Anyway maybe I am paranoid and there is no outside AR.. but for some reason i think it catches easier smudges on the crystal and more difficult to clean...

Is it possible to have installed it upside down??? :p :p

:animal_rooster::animal_rooster::animal_rooster:

I think it is more intense than before...Is there a chance that they have changed my crystal???? I haven't paid anything of course because it is still in guarantee... why change a brand new glass for a new one with their own cost???

Pop a replica crystal in it, send it back and see if they put a double-AR in again! :D

Come on guys... there must be a way to find if the crystal has outside AR :huh:

you should be able to see if the coating is on the outside of the crystal - just press your thumb on it - the smudge should have the blueish color in the ridges...I am not sure if I am explaining this correctly, but I tried on my gen Panerai vs. gen Breitling and the smudges where the obvious givaway for the double sided AR coat.

I had my 25 in for warranty service and I wouldn't be surprised if they installed your crystal upside down...I had some issues after getting my watch back and had to send it in again.

easy. put a small light in the reflection that is far away so you see a small circle reflecting. if it is single you will see two bulbs. one white and one blue/purple. if it is double coated, it will reflect no white light only the blue/purple color and it will look better :thumbsupsmileyanim:

great tip - I will get my flashlight out and try :thumbsupsmileyanim:

easy. put a small light in the reflection that is far away so you see a small circle reflecting. if it is single you will see two bulbs. one white and one blue/purple. if it is double coated, it will reflect no white light only the blue/purple color and it will look better :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Excellent my friend... great tip indeed.. Two bulbs proved it is single AR as I would expected.. because anyway Panerai doesn't do Double AR.

Now I have to find out if the crystal is inside out.. that I am afraid the it can be the case :(

Any tips for this?????

Forget it.. it is installed correctly..

I put a crystal upside down on a jimmyfu case.. then i found a nice trick to compare it with the correct one..

Take a ruler and put it on the case. On the correct installed glass it cannot stay flat.. on the upside down it stays flat on the case...

Thanks to all for the tips on checking double AR coat. I always wondered how to do it. In general V I have found that some company's do replace parts routinely. Rolex is the prime example. In the past I had sent in watches for servicing and they switched out the datewheel. What I didn't know then (and they too, in fairness) was the watch would be worth more with the original datewheel. I am convinced this is a result of a particular repair person as opposed to Company policy. I suspect it is alos more likely to happen if your watch is still under the original warranty because then they don't have to get your permission to charge you more. When your watch is still under warranty if the repair person comes upon a crystal chipped under the bezel or whatever they are more likely to just replace it.:)

Thanks to all for the tips on checking double AR coat. I always wondered how to do it. In general V I have found that some company's do replace parts routinely. Rolex is the prime example. In the past I had sent in watches for servicing and they switched out the datewheel. What I didn't know then (and they too, in fairness) was the watch would be worth more with the original datewheel. I am convinced this is a result of a particular repair person as opposed to Company policy. I suspect it is alos more likely to happen if your watch is still under the original warranty because then they don't have to get your permission to charge you more. When your watch is still under warranty if the repair person comes upon a crystal chipped under the bezel or whatever they are more likely to just replace it.:)

But the watch was in immaculate condition.. i have just send it in to clean a small particle of dust inside the dial :rolleyes:

Anyway.. it seems probably at the end that they haven't changed anything and it is just me and the stories i ve heard about Panerai service :p

W I understand what you say.. and I have mentioned them that I am a diver (yeah right :p ) so take good care of the re-sealing of the watch :p

Anyway I think I found a reason for the mystery...

When returned back the watch in the nice Panerai customer service pouch, they have put a plastic sticky cover on top of the crystal (like the ones they come with the reps)

Maybe this had a substance on it that made the glass more sticky..

Other explanation is that I use much balsam cream the last days for my hands because of the weather and they are more sticky as well :p

Ok, I think you should send the watch to me and I'll test it out and maybe get it back to you sometime in the future (or not). ;) I think both the fingerprint and light test will work fine. My Breitling Aerospace will reflect a blue light and also shows blueish colored smudges on the crystal (so I think it's double AR). The rest of my watches reflect white light and have normal smudges. :) Nice looking watch V, I still think you should send it to me. :whistling:

I put a crystal upside down on a jimmyfu case.. then i found a nice trick to compare it with the correct one..

Take a ruler and put it on the case. On the correct installed glass it cannot stay flat.. on the upside down it stays flat on the case...

cool,,,I just tested the crystal I put in my Jimmyfu case,,,,,,,,,,,,,I guess I had a 50/50 chance of getting it right and I did..........