When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Its Time To Copy...the Mbw Case

elprimerozen

Hi to all Rolex friends!!!I have a realy good friend of mine who is able to copy(or try to copy) an mbw case....he is a real artist with his job!I can not say what is his job ...but i had a litle chat with him these days and i saw him my mbw sd and i asked him if he can make a 1:1 copy of the case...his answer was that he will try,he has everithing in his workplace to make this hapen.

The things that we will try to copy 1:1 are:

1.The mbw case

2.retaining ring

3.case back

4.the bezel stem(with the ring)

5.retaining ring of 2836 eta

It will be fun to do this...and if this is succesfull AND ONLY IF IT WORKS OUT GOOD...we will be able some of us to have a 1:1 case...

It will take some time but....i will inform the forum for the result POSITIVE or NEGATIVE.

ITS ONLY AN EXPERIMENT!!!so dont start to scream... :victory:

If this works we will try to make a copy of my gen gmt master 2.........to be continued....

Thanks.

200879-1649.jpg

200879-1650.jpg

200879-1651.jpg

I know this is going to sound stupid - but is it possible to replicate the real 1680 case (assumeing that someone has one to lend) but make the inside set to accept a 2846. Also - I assume that it could be made with the lugholes the right size and in the right place?

The other thing that is really missing from our collective arsenals are good 680 endlinks and an acceptable vintage bracelet. For such a small thing (2MM accepting 680 endlinks) i am really surprised that they are so hard to come up with.

I know this is going to sound stupid - but is it possible to replicate the real 1680 case (assumeing that someone has one to lend) but make the inside set to accept a 2846. Also - I assume that it could be made with the lugholes the right size and in the right place?

The other thing that is really missing from our collective arsenals are good 680 endlinks and an acceptable vintage bracelet. For such a small thing (2MM accepting 680 endlinks) i am really surprised that they are so hard to come up with.

My friend will TRY first to copy a case 1:1 with the mbw...we will try for the 2846.

If you can be produced it at an acceptable price I think you would have one hell of a seller. Make it a kit. minus movement and dial, correct size and placement of lug holes as well as excepting gen parts... If you can do this try to make one with the 1680 in mind, the HE escape valve on the 1665 maybe more trouble than it's worth. Just a thought, please keep us informed, I for one will be on the list for a 1680.

My friend will TRY first to copy a case 1:1 with the mbw...we will try for the 2846.

The 2846 has same diameter than the 2836-2 but lower beat....

But building a case 1 to 1 is a nice idea....

When it goes,we need a modern SD-Case,thicker than a submariner case with thick bezel...

Edited by Tribal

sounds like a great project! First off, the spacer ring/movement holder will be a hit for every franken builder out there! Have him build a few of those and offer them for sale.

I would love a 1:1 16610 case, but that is asking a lot.

Any idea what steel he is going to use? 904L would be ideal to match the color and shine of genuine.

well... the only flaw i see is and i am surprised that nobody hasnt said this already ...

YOU CANT CLAIM 1:1... if you are using a REP case as your donor!!!

AAAAGHHGHG! Im Screaming!!!! I would love to see it anyway...

PP

This was kind of my point. In fact - why bother with the Sub at all. i am with the other that say - go after the contemporary Seadweller case. Nothing comes close and many would be interested. 2836 should be made to fit. that is the ticket.

cskent... im ALLLLLLL about rep'ing the modern SD!!!! (begins the However's)

HOWEVER, he doesn't have a genuine case to go off of... unless someone is willing to donate one... and this being a REP forum... i highly doubt that anyone would do that for this cause...

HOWEVER again, there IS a Genuine SD case only on EBAY right now!!!

Is elprimo willing to invest 500 bucks on this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...p;rd=1&rd=1

I thought there was someone who manufactured titanium HE valves... like the gens?!?!

Yet another HOWEVER, making a genuine spec'd case may not be able to house and ETA movement... which is FINE with me... i can find 3035/3135's all day!!!

honestly... this whole rep'ing an existing model is not really impressive UNLESS you do something super special... you give me an option for a 904L steel case... IM ALL ABOUT IT!!! how bout offering choices of genuine parts from the "factory"??? tubes, crowns? especially with correct threading?!?!

What about proper engraving... (no more polex or shiterand) or choice of my own serial number?!?! (i.e choosing my own year)

now the bezel... thick and never been rep'd correctly... need a gen to go off of...

yet another investment: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...p;rd=1&rd=1

how bout the caseback?!?! got to have the right depth and engraving!!!

yet another investment: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...p;rd=1&rd=1

how bout the dial... some look good... but gen is always best

these are all just dreams... too much work involved... but if there is anything i can do to help... let me know!!!

Edited by poopypants

So your friend is involved in cnc machines, right?

Steel 904 should be the right choice. I dont mind about serial numbers.

But please, make the case with lugholes....

About the bezel and other parts....That would be a lot of a hell complicated..

No need to cast those pieces...Believe, only duplicate the case..

I think it would be easier to order the parts to some good aftermarket manufacturer.

Keep us informed please.