When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another New Strapmaker's Story... (modem Burner)

savage_here

OK, so I was inspired by the people that have started making their own straps. So, I went out and bought some tools to try my luck.

I started with some scrap leather that I picked up and learned how to stitch and some of the finer points of cutting, finishing, etc. Once I had made three attempts (that actually all turned out fairly decently), I decided to buy some good leather and give it a "real" go.

I was able to find some fantastic leather and the following is what I made.

Here's the breakdown:

Hand-selected hide and hand cut

Skivved Joint on the short side

Skivved where tubes and buckle go

The long side is one piece, so no joint

Hand-grooved for stitching

Hand-waxed thread

Double-needle hand-stitched (true hand stitching)

Hand-beveled edges

Hand-burnished edges and holes

I have tried my hand at making buckles as well, but I did not put a sewn-in buckle on this strap. I really wish I would have though! It's on my wrist right now and the only thing that would have made it better is a hand-made buckle.

You'll notice a bit of a color difference in the pics on the watch and those off because of a change in lighting. These are quick-n-dirty pics since I didn't have a lightbox set up, so bear with me. The actual color I would say is somewhere in between. It's sort of a PAV or lighter ammo strap color with beige stitch.

Anyway, any comments would be appreciated.

209264-17063.jpg

209264-17064.jpg

209264-17065.jpg

209264-17066.jpg

209264-17067.jpg

209264-17068.jpg

209264-17069.jpg

209264-17070.jpg

%7Boption%7D

Thanks for all the positive comments.

The hide was sourced locally here in Houston and the strap probably took about 3 hours total to make. It's a bit hard to add up since there's quite a few steps involved and it was done over a couple of days. Believe me, unless you start machine stitching and have a lot of automated processes, one wouldn't be making much of an hourly rate if these were put up for sale (when tools and materials are factored in)!

Edited by savage_here

Damn that looks good. I really look how the strap looks from the side. Do you use some kind of dark wax on the edges to make the leather upside and downside look like they're "fused" together like that? Pls advice,

That's the burnishing. The way I did it (and there are numerous methods) was to swab a bit of Gum Tragacanth onto the edges after beveling. Then I took a piece of heavy canvas on which I had rubbed a bunch of beeswax (just natural, not colored) and then worked into the canvas. You just start rubbing pretty vigorously on the edges. When it heats up a bit, the edge color starts to change a little and the loose leather fibers start to lay down. The edges starts to take on sort of a slick appearance and you're done. It's really time-consuming and fairly difficult to do, but the results are stunning. Much better than just slapping some Edge Kote on there and calling it a day.

That pic that you referenced actually is a little darker than it really turned out. The ones on the watch show the true edge color a bit better. Cool process though!

Best regards.