When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watches that last the test of time...

The Instant Classic, that watch that vaults instantly to the upper level of desirability and remains

there.

I have been trying to pick them for years now and it's not easy,...

One way to tell is by cruising the trading forum,.. If you see a watch there several times a month

you can best believe that it didn't capture many hearts, kind of like a lover who you burn with

passion for, but the flame dies sooner or later... not to say that we all want or need the same

watches... I do find watches all the time in the trading forum that I want and don't care

what has been said about them...

No, I am speaking here only of those rare few that get snagged quickly, kept in collections forever,

sometimes also vanishing from the factories..

Two I am keeping my eye on are the Breitling Chronomat and the new release Overseas,..

I want them now so bad I it hurts,..

Have I waited long enough ? :huh:

My first threshold is original movement and ability to take gen parts when possible. Then I look at the various "brand" experts and their reviews - Bytor on Omega, Ubi or Nanuq on Rolex, Thomas on AP (still want that Freak - the watch you perverts :lol:) a number of folks on PAM's etc. Finally, in spite of the fact that collector's items do become rarer they do come up on the trading forum and the prices are not usually higher than they were new. Second hand from the right person can have the other benefit of it functioning properly. I would never have had the nerve to buy a seconds at six or DW Daytona new.

I do think the collectors items will become fewer but rarer as many brands have larger runs done now. Bit that will make the collecting more fun. Let's face it, Eddie's Pilot Chrono in 100 pieces or the Honpo original 7750 187 in 150 pieces are rarer than the gens. Not as high quality but rarer. I love that and I hope there is a lot more of it. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I do think the collectors items will become fewer but rarer as many brands have larger runs done now. Bit that will make the collecting more fun. Let's face it, Eddie's Pilot Chrono in 100 pieces or the Honpo original 7750 187 in 150 pieces are rarer than the gens. Not as high quality but rarer. I love that and I hope there is a lot more of it. :thumbsupsmileyanim:
Agree 100% Limited runs add a special aspect and makes it also more fun !

besides a couple vintage seiko's (a near nos 6138 chrono with the silver dial and blue/gray subdials and a mint H558 'arnold') the only rep i miss is my stainless seawolf avenger. was stoopid to sell that one after a lume and bezel tightening by The Zigmeister. but i needed the $$ and had no idea they would disappear!

Oops... edit... I posted a reply to the wrong thread. :wub:

But I agree with my mate RT... it's better to wait a few weeks or months when a new model comes out. I have made some impulse buys... watches that really aren't for me... like Navitimer. I love the Navi and it's a legendary model... I've purchased two... but for some strange reason it doesn't feel that great on my wrist.

I also think the new TAG Carrera rep is amazing but I find the design too ordinary. Too much like Omega Speedmaster... and I doubt I'd wear it that much. I almost purchased it but decided to wait a few weeks - and then changed my mind. I'm not a collector and I want to keep my collection compact... and I don't want to buy any reps that would just collect dust in the drawer.

i did the same with the new vc overseas and the ingy and the link chrono and the link gmt and a few others ;)

i almost pulled the trigger on the steelfish 3-4 times but just think it would be too blingy for me. same with the navitimers and the too busy dial.

i always go back to the simple classics. sub, black smp, black planet ocean, handwind pams :D

i will probably try and force myself to wait at least a month after the chopard mm comes out and will look at lots of pics!

Nice topic guys..I think that the Planet Ocean is one of those watches, because of how well it is repped and it's just easy to wear. Great casual or dress and has a timeless look ala rolex sub.

I too love the VC Overseas, dressy classy and with just the right amount of bling. And I think the BCE is one for the long haul.

Now someone sell me their black dial VC Overseas so I can have a matching pair :D

VC overseas is a great watch. I try to hold out for as long as possible, glad I passed on the HBB and Ingie (but I know some love them) just not my thing. Picked up the tag link chrono and flipped it at a loss... just not my thing (why tag? 7750 too loud). I also don't buy certain brands: omega, Breit, Tag, or Rolex. There are exceptions.

Thanks Steve G and Craytonic, I think the VC Overseas will my my next... :rolleyes:

By the way Steve, in the market for my first Jag,... got tired of the bumpy ride of Bmw, though

I do love the way it handles,...

Thinking of either a 2001 XJR or a 1997 Vanden Plas.... Black & Bone of course.... :victory:

Ahhh... The secret to picking them... That's always been a tough one for me. I don't know how many times I've sold a watch upon receipt, simply because it fell short of expectation.

I've managed to hold a steady 12 watch count in the collection; all of which are keepers. I've given a few away here and there... But for the most part, I'm more than satisfied with what's in the watch box as of current. But it's mostly been a path of trial and error...

The VC overseas was a series of mistakes on my part; I bought the Silix-prime, then got the "1:1" version, sold the 1:1 version the next day, realized I really liked it, and picked it up again 2-3 months later.

I think the silix-prime one is a better looking watch, but the new one is more accurate. I really like the size of the older version - it is too small as far as accuracy goes but I like a smaller watch.

Anyways the bottom line is I have them both. Working on perfecting the 1:1 version. The crystal is out for AR coating now, I have a new cross to replace the 4-leaf clover on the way, and will send it to The Zigmeister for the transplant and relume.

To become a classic, a watch needs not to date. This means the MoonWatch is one but the Big Bang isn't.

Simple design wins out every time over faddish fashions. How many watches with Carbon Fibre are true classics, for instance? (hint: none) This is why I steer away from the lumpier watches, which seems to be a minor fad theme.

Less is more.

To become a classic, a watch needs not to date. This means the MoonWatch is one but the Big Bang isn't.

Simple design wins out every time over faddish fashions. How many watches with Carbon Fibre are true classics, for instance? (hint: none) This is why I steer away from the lumpier watches, which seems to be a minor fad theme.

Less is more.

That is so true Pug!

and also what Tor says: it's better to wait a few weeks or months when a new model comes out

At the end of the day why go for a running second at 9 when the gen seconds runs at 6 in example...I amost went for HBB and AP ROO chronos but hold for a couple of weeks.

Now, I don't want them.

Is this hobby not about getting as close as gen, for the fun of not having to buy gens.

I'm not sure if what I am doing now make sence but I am collecting all the 16610 Subs and GMT Master II possible (without mods) from 95$ up to MBW and TW and then will get gens of these two classics instead of pissing 200$ each time there is a new trendy one out there.

One exception though: Omegas: PO and SMP GMT are must have ones too. Still wondering for the Moon watch, so I'll wait to find a great one and then maybe add it too.

I know Josh was having trpuble getting one for me about 3-4 months ago. Are they really discontinued?

Apparently, some dealers can still get them from their suppliers' stocks, but they're not making them any more.

Or at least that's what I've heard.

See? It's now a classic. :D