When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

OEM Panerai crown on eBay

Maikel

I have no gen to compare (maybe some gen-owner member may step in and help?), but I am very doubtful too.

First of all, these have no spring. Aren't genuine crowns supposed to have springs?

Second, teeth sharpness is poor.

Third, the black one seems all but real PVD (in facts also the seller actually declares it just as "black steel", not PVD).

On this one, sharpness is completely lost. It looks like coated with some sort of black treatment/coating definitely not PVD (Caswell's black oxide / steel blackener, perhaps?).

Fourth, the seller seems specialized in selling crowns for several brands, so he hardly is an amateur/watchsmith who happens to have two spare crowns to sell. And we all know that OP is not giving crowns to anyone but their authorized repairers.

Its looks far to well made to be a rep, and its nothing like any rep crown I've ever seen. The area where the two tiny o-rings sit is much better machined than most rep parts

Also it is sprung I believe. The thread that the stem screws into appears seperate from the surrounding part with the orings to me. I'd bet it has a tiny spring hidden inside.

My pick is that its a genuine part from a well worn manual wind watch which would explain the wear level.

This is definitely not a genuine crown for a hand-wound watch. I have one and it looks nothing like this. The gen crown has only one seal at the base of the stem and is sprung. Palp's crown looks very similar and is stepped where the genuine is internally sprung. The genuine crown tube has an internal seal similar to the rep setup. I have never got the hang of posting pics but I could email a pic of the genuine article to another member if someone could post it for me.

This is definitely not a genuine crown for a hand-wound watch. I have one and it looks nothing like this. The gen crown has only one seal at the base of the stem and is sprung. Palp's crown looks very similar and is stepped where the genuine is internally sprung. The genuine crown tube has an internal seal similar to the rep setup. I have never got the hang of posting pics but I could email a pic of the genuine article to another member if someone could post it for me.

T send it to me and I will post it..

Thanks for sharing those blueprints, rolli.

I just wonder if the 2nd one was actually manufactured or it just stayed at a project or prototype stage...

Next week I will receive an OEM crown (for handwound marina) from a friend and we will be able to compare them.

From the photos he has sent me though it doesn't look very similar...

hello,

as said before i doubt that these crowns are genuine. and first of all i would be very careful. this parts come from turkey.

best wishes

olreon

You may be right. My bet is (obviously) that they are. I was convinced that they date back to the 1997-1999 period when the new acquirer was standardizing the various pieces of watches. The infamous Pre-A and A's and at least a portion of the B's did not have consistent crowns. By the way, what's wrong with Turkey? :lol:

I just asked the seller which caliber and which kind of coating the black one is, PVD or black-oxide or what, and he replied:

'I think auto caliber, black oxide'.

Definitely not genuine. Never heard OP black-oxide their crowns.

I have concluded they are definitely not gen. :thumbdown: Whoever made the Turkey comment was right. :lol: Live and learn. Well, I will be getting them and will report my best guess as to who is making them.

Warren I will receive the OEM crown this week I will try to take some photos for reference purpose..

As sort of a crown collector (Lello's, Palpatine's, Davidsen's, Homer's... and naturally several reps) I am considering offering something on these ones, though... :g: I just would like to inspect them with my own eyes... Definitely not gen, but I am curious about their quality -- or lack of...

Just, I don't want to get involved in a bidding war with (at least) other members here.

Anyone else considering bidding in the auction?