When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Free..........

Justasgood

Chance to voice your opinions...... :)

Hey gang. I hope everyone is enjoying the extra hour of daylight. I thought I would do some crown gaurd work and mix-match a few items.

Please provide your criticism-praise and honest opinions on the following:

MBW DRSD crown gaurds/case work and bezel with Gen. pearl:

214856-15844.jpg

214856-15845.jpg

214856-15846.jpg

5513 with Crown Gaurd work:

214856-15847.jpg

214856-15848.jpg

214856-15849.jpg

214856-15850.jpg

214856-15851.jpg

214856-15852.jpg

And finally, My Kermit Submariner with Bezel chang and crown gaurd work:

214856-15853.jpg

214856-15854.jpg

214856-15855.jpg

214856-15856.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Kurt.

I really am curious as to why the majority of my posts go without comment.

I cannot learn or improve without feedback. I am a big boy and really can't be insulted.

Please, someone say the watches look like crap, the crown gaurds suck....they are perfect, close still need work.

Something....anything.

Thanks....I think :blink:

Ok I really like your cg work it is as good as any I've seen, I will leave the pearl for others with more knowledge than me to comment on.

Ken

Ken,

Thanks for the comments.

I only ask because I wouldn't mind offering this service to those who don't want to toil with them. Hell for good friends, I'd almost do it for free....almost.

Anyway, thanks again,

Kurt.

I had the same sort of response when I posted my first crown guard pics. :(

I think yours look fine, but I'm really no expert.

Yeah, but your's really sucked.....kidding, I'm kidding.

By the way, send the package when you get it ;) and I need a price to paypal you :whistling:

Any parts/tools yet?

Kurt.

Kurt,

The only suggestions I can make is to keep the inside corners sharp (i.e. less rounded corners) and to finish/clean the edges up a bit more.

I recently took a couple of minutes to do my CG's as well. I hate doing CG's (along with drilling the lug holes), but I figured they should be done. 30 minutes worth of work- Shaped the inside edges/corners, did the outside shoulder angles and also did the top surface as well to take mine from rounded guards to more pointy guards. I still need to fine polish the surfaces.

Before-

215639-15586.jpg

215639-15587.jpg

After-

215639-15588.jpg

215639-15589.jpg

The best thing about the vintages is that with gens, not one of them is really the same as another- At least, not likely after 30/40 years of age. After time and wear, polishing and refinishing by RSCs and/or ind. watchmakers, each has it's own characteristics that differ greatly from another.

Kurt,

The only suggestions I can make is to keep the inside corners sharp (i.e. less rounded corners) and to finish/clean the edges up a bit more.

I recently took a couple of minutes to do my CG's as well. I hate doing CG's (along with drilling the lug holes), but I figured they should be done. 30 minutes worth of work- Shaped the inside edges/corners, did the outside shoulder angles and also did the top surface as well to take mine from rounded guards to more pointy guards. I still need to fine polish the surfaces.

Before-

215741-15558.jpg

215741-15559.jpg

After-

215741-15560.jpg

215741-15561.jpg

The best thing about the vintages is that with gens, not one of them is really the same as another- At least, not likely after 30/40 years of age. After time and wear, polishing and refinishing by RSCs and/or ind. watchmakers, each has it's own characteristics that differ greatly from another.

Awesome feedback advice and pictures....Thanks.

Regards,

Kurt.

Kurt, I like how pointy you were able to get your CG's....that part looks really good.

Randy, you never cease to amaze me with your skills. :D

Thank you. I took alot off from the case sides near the crown to slim and make them a bit pointier.

This is my crown-guard job. This should be the last pic of it like this as, thanks to Kurt, I finish off the inside over the next few days...

215790-15554.jpg

Damn Pug,

I love that watch! :wub:

Thank you. I took alot off from the case sides near the crown to slim and make them a bit pointier.

Damn Pug,

I love that watch! :wub:

I'm not an expert, in hand I can tell whether it is real or not, but from pictures (except the "$25 Pattaya rubbish'') I can't tell the difference. Offcourse a lot of the watches around here are 99'rs. I like your watches and especially the SD is really nice. I don't care when a watch is perfect, I just have to like it or not. I propably would've like the watch before modify.

Jack

I'm not an expert, in hand I can tell whether it is real or not, but from pictures (except the "$25 Pattaya rubbish'') I can't tell the difference. Offcourse a lot of the watches around here are 99'rs. I like your watches and especially the SD is really nice. I don't care when a watch is perfect, I just have to like it or not. I propably would've like the watch before modify.

Jack

Thanks Jack.

And like you, perfect isn't what I'm after, I just have watches I like.

Kurt.

Kurt: I could be wrong, but I wonder if you may have removed a bit too much material on the inside of the CGs? Otherwise, they look like what I would expect a vintage watch to look like.

My sub's currently in pieces, but here is a not-too-old photo contribution to the forum

post-3175-1174201125_thumb.jpg.

Kurt: I could be wrong, but I wonder if you may have removed a bit too much material on the inside of the CGs? Otherwise, they look like what I would expect a vintage watch to look like.

My sub's currently in pieces, but here is a not-too-old photo contribution to the forum

post-3175-1174201125_thumb.jpg.

Thanks and I see your point. In person, the gaps look spot on and with my calipers, they are pretty close to the Gen I used as a reference.

I think the macro and angle of the pics. distorts thhings a bit.

Kurt.