When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 16233 project is finished

vmena

So, finally the project is over... even still needs some final adjustments, but here we go with the summary:

• Genuine 16233 case
  • Genuine dial
  • Genuine sapphire crystal
  • Genuine crown
  • Luenfat's datewheel
  • Tudor hands
  • Aftermarket TT jubilee bracelet from a good friend (thanks avara/007)
  • ETA 2824
  • Custom aluminum spacer

Issues:

• Hollow end links of the bracelet sounds like thousand little bells... nothing unexpected but I have to find some new end links and fatter spring bars.
    • Even being quite confidence about the source, I wander the crystal is genuine... maybe just a personal feeling
    • The crown doesn't screw up to the end of the tube... but I remember it happened in the past with my genuine Date TT.

Nevertheless, I'm quite happy with the final result... now it's time for a new project... maybe a WG version. Enjoy pics (sorry for the bad lighting and quality but were taking very fast at night) MB stuff is all genuine and not for sale :)

219022-14986.jpg

219022-14987.jpg

219022-14988.jpg

219022-14989.jpg

219022-14990.jpg

219022-14991.jpg

219022-14992.jpg

For your next project... My vote is for WG, all the way...
Randy... that's exactly my intention... glad we have similar taste

Do you have a pict of the aluminum spacer ?

I did not have the opportunity to make pics... next time :)

Thats a very nice tt watch!

I too have bought some items I would like to show you.

Lets keep in touch!

Thanks my friend! next project will be soon and for both ;)

Sweet! Nice job.

My genuine parts drawer is filling up for my franken-just project, as well as for the upgrade on my franken EX-1. Just waiting for the extra long cannon pinions to get here... been told they shipped last Friday. Need the longer cannon to modify so I can fit genuine hands. See Post on Modified Cannon Pinion

Sweet! Nice job.

My genuine parts drawer is filling up for my franken-just project, as well as for the upgrade on my franken EX-1. Just waiting for the extra long cannon pinions to get here... been told they shipped last Friday. Need the longer cannon to modify so I can fit genuine hands. See Post on Modified Cannon Pinion

You're a really master my friend! great project... I wush some day I will be able to have your skills...

You're a really master my friend! great project... I wush some day I will be able to have your skills...

so very far from being a master.... but thank you for the kind words.

Hey, with your date wheel, I remember we discussed on other board... did you get open of closed fonts? I ordered a couple and to my surprise, I recieved one open, and one closed. The open font had very bold printing, and the closed font printing was thinner and a closer match to 3135 printing. Still not correct as the font size is too big and fills up the cyclops too much. Ended up buying a genuine 3135 datewheel and it is 100% now.

so very far from being a master.... but thank you for the kind words.

Hey, with your date wheel, I remember we discussed on other board... did you get open of closed fonts? I ordered a couple and to my surprise, I recieved one open, and one closed. The open font had very bold printing, and the closed font printing was thinner and a closer match to 3135 printing. Still not correct as the font size is too big and fills up the cyclops too much. Ended up buying a genuine 3135 datewheel and it is 100% now.

Same happened to me. This 16233 has the bold open 6 & 9 font, and almost cober the whole date window. I also have other datewheels from same source (whote background) with thinner and closed font.

I think I'll end it up like you, buying a genuine 3135 datewheel. But I can tell you the bold font is not far from genuine.

Couple of quick questions as I'm doing this as I type - what glue did you use on the overlay? Also, the overlay actually covers the teeth which "ride" under the keyless works cover plate - how did you get everything to lay flush? Does the overlay just ride on the cover plate? Thanks!

This overlay matchs the ETA datewheel size, sno no big deal. I used a special double side thin tape from my watchmaker. With this tape you can also glue the dial, and by putting severals taped one on top of the other you can make the dial seat higher and allowing the datewheel run free.

OK, what I ended up using was rubber cement. It was awesome - since I goofed up a few times, I was able to remove the overlay, "rub" off the dried cement (comes off like eraser), and start over again. By putting a bead on both the datewheel and the overlay, I was able to build a small thickness which raised the overlay flush. This helped it clear the keyless works cover which holds the teeth down.

OK, what I ended up using was rubber cement. It was awesome - since I goofed up a few times, I was able to remove the overlay, "rub" off the dried cement (comes off like eraser), and start over again. By putting a bead on both the datewheel and the overlay, I was able to build a small thickness which raised the overlay flush. This helped it clear the keyless works cover which holds the teeth down.

This another very good solution...

OK, another question as I'm having trouble lining up my stem. There appears to be a raised strip where the crystal "bottoms out" so to speak - does the dial butt right up against the bottom of the crystal, or is it retained on the other side of the raised strip? My dial hasn't arrived yet, so I'm a little bit confused. Can the dial pass all the way through the case if the crystal is not there to hold it in?

OK, that makes sense. I guess I'll understand more when my dial and bezel arrive. But from what you're telling me, I'm guessing I will eventually have to dremel my spacer down just a hair bit more to get it to clear that strip. I will wait for the dial so I can lay it on the movement with the spacer and ensure that everything gets smoothed down perfectly round.

One more thing - it appears that the 2824-2 stem will be too long to allow the crown to screw down, but I can't be too sure since I'm not positive if my crown is gen. The crown tube is gen and the crown screws into it, and the O-ring seal between the tube fits snugly around the base of the crown, but I'm not sure it's gen. Either way, it looks like I need to cut the stem a millimeter or two. Did you have to do this for yours? How can I be positive that this crown is gen? Also, in case I end up getting another crown some day, how difficult would it be to get a new stem?

Thanks again for all the help! Hopefully this project will be done in a week or so.

OK, that makes sense. I guess I'll understand more when my dial and bezel arrive. But from what you're telling me, I'm guessing I will eventually have to dremel my spacer down just a hair bit more to get it to clear that strip. I will wait for the dial so I can lay it on the movement with the spacer and ensure that everything gets smoothed down perfectly round.

One more thing - it appears that the 2824-2 stem will be too long to allow the crown to screw down, but I can't be too sure since I'm not positive if my crown is gen. The crown tube is gen and the crown screws into it, and the O-ring seal between the tube fits snugly around the base of the crown, but I'm not sure it's gen. Either way, it looks like I need to cut the stem a millimeter or two. Did you have to do this for yours? How can I be positive that this crown is gen? Also, in case I end up getting another crown some day, how difficult would it be to get a new stem?

Thanks again for all the help! Hopefully this project will be done in a week or so.

I have to ask my watchmakerr since he did that part of the job, but I'm quite rure he used standard steam from ETA movement. You ahve to press stronger but it nearly rise the case.