When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

my new 111i

flavor flav

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good one Flav mate,

also a good chance for others (seniors and noobs alike) to spot some of the most obvious differences between 111 sandwich dial gen and rep...and for some that used to send me PMs like "...what are you going on about babola, the 111H rep is perfect !?..." :)

Kosta will surely know what I mean of course...:) he's had both gen and rep for some time and is more than aware about the rep's flaws.

- numbers 2, 3 and 6 are quite different - Panerai changed the shape in 2005 on their first sandwich dial Luminor series

- as most of us know by now, dial txt is off-white/salmon/cream color NOT white as on 111H rep

- txt 'Luminor Marina' is larger on rep, the font is bigger in size, and strangely enough bigger than the 'Panerai' txt above 6 o'clock

- L Swiss Made L is wrong size and wider on the rep than it should be, also too close to number 6

- obvious thin crown and CG issues on the rep

- caseback is thinner than on gens...Kosta was the first one to identify this 'feature'

- case on the rep is different, lugs are thicker and shorter, also there's a cutout on the rep case between the lugs to accomodate thicker straps...gens don't have that.

- A/R coat on gen is transparent...colourless...some reps carry blueish or pinkish crystal hue, not great but does the job

That said - the 111H rep is a lovely watch, and on its own holds an admirable presence...until you start comparing it side by side, of course :)

cheers,

babola

Edited by babola

- A/R coat on gen is transparent...colourless...some reps carry blueish or pinkish crystal hue, not great but does the job

babola

actually, the gen has a bluish tint exactly the same as the rep!

as for the dial font, i may practice changing the color of the font on the rep dial and maybe offer that in the future with my mod packages.

actually, the gen has a bluish tint exactly the same as the rep!

as for the dial font, i may practice changing the color of the font on the rep dial and maybe offer that in the future with my mod packages.

HA ! Panerai uses 'double standards' ! LOL ! ...and I love my 111H rep with blueish A/R even more now :)

So I was @ my AD store last week checking the Logo Base (PAM000), I was surprised at the quality of A/R ...and guess what - it didn't have any tint at all, whatsoever - completely transparent.

Also, there are some Paneristi from the gen forum who recently purchased gen Luminor PAMs and reported the blueish tint ...hmm, mind boggles doesn't it :)

At leat one thing is costant with Panerai - their products are never 'constant'...and product finishes vary even from one series to another.

cheers mate,

babola

AR is not the same on every model..

Member of the forum and good friend has sold his 111H (not I ) because he had a GREENISH tint AR and he didnt liked it.

He bought an I series 112 with bluish tint and he was happy

Lume is not the same on every model..

Member of the forum and good friend has sold his 111H (not I ) because he had a GREENISH tint AR and he didnt liked it.

He bought an I series 112 with bluish tint and he was happy

It almost feels like 111 and 112 gen dials are made/lumed by two different factories... :rolleyes:

This is one of the reasons I like PAM reps...you can never say one is 100% 'wrong' over another...even gens are all different, anyway.

cheers,

babola

Edited by babola

Congrats Flav. I too have a gen 11 on the way, only mine will be a J. THe dealer offered it to us at the current price instead of the 10% increase, and with an extra strap and additional 2 years of warranty so how could I resist. Of course, jealousy may have had a bit to do with it.

Your pics are kinda like the activity books where they challenge you to find the differences between two pictures. You did a great job with your mods.

What do you mean about the beat of the gen being faster? Are they not both 17,600 bph?

Congrats Flav. I too have a gen 11 on the way, only mine will be a J. THe dealer offered it to us at the current price instead of the 10% increase, and with an extra strap and additional 2 years of warranty so how could I resist. Of course, jealousy may have had a bit to do with it.

Your pics are kinda like the activity books where they challenge you to find the differences between two pictures. You did a great job with your mods.

What do you mean about the beat of the gen being faster? Are they not both 17,600 bph?

Gen Luminor PAMs come with 6497-2 mov't with higher beat of 21,000bph.

...reps in the same category on the other hand come with either Swiss or Asian ETA 6497-1 (17,600bph), or Asian-only 6497-2 with higher beat.

cheers,

babola

Even a Paneristi would notice the fit and finish difference between rep and gen many seconds before any of the flaws we obsess about (aside from the joke of a crown guard the chinese insist on putting on the H series reps).

I know it's a bummer, but fit and finish is the easiest rep/gen tell and it's the flaw that will never get fixed.

The upside, at least when it comes to PAMs, is that 99% of the humans on earth can't even pronounce the brand name let alone assess where the L-Swiss-L is supposed to go. Flav bought the gen because he knows it's a gen which, IMO, is the only reason to buy a gen. A rep will fool everyone who doesn't know anything about watches, and nobody who does.

Wear it well, buddy!

Even a Paneristi would notice the fit and finish difference between rep and gen many seconds before any of the flaws we obsess about (aside from the joke of a crown guard the chinese insist on putting on the H series reps).

I know it's a bummer, but fit and finish is the easiest rep/gen tell and it's the flaw that will never get fixed.

The upside, at least when it comes to PAMs, is that 99% of the humans on earth can't even pronounce the brand name let alone assess where the L-Swiss-L is supposed to go. Flav bought the gen because he knows it's a gen which, IMO, is the only reason to buy a gen. A rep will fool everyone who doesn't know anything about watches, and nobody who does.

Wear it well, buddy!

exactly right! once you correct as many flaws you can trying to build the perfect watch over and over and over pretty soon you snap and say.....why not just buy the perfect watch?? no regrets! the gen is incredible quality which is something i can appreciate. :victory: