When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What model would fool you at a glance?

predfan2001

Last night I was thinking, what Rolex rep. would pass at a glance just based on the model and not so much quality. As I said before, to me some models scream "replica". For me, I think it would be a vintage GMT rep. but with a jubilee band.

I chuckled at the one post I read here about the construction worker seen wearing a gold Sub. Yeah, I bet that was real...not.

Most anything at a glance will fool most everybody. Once sombody has it in their hands it is a different matter altogether. Some posters have noted bling and gold will not fool them and they are using context to determine authenticity and not the actual quality of the rep. Eliminate the bling / gold thing and most reps are good at a passing glance. JMO

what would fool me at a glance. most models ive no experience with that arent patently fictional or horrendous. unfortunately though its rolex we are discussing which means only one thing. the first thought into most peoples mind is fake regardless of anything else. sure context plays a big part regardless of model but from construction worker to business man the first thought in most peoples mind is going to be "rep" when and if they spot it.

i find moderns more subject to this than vintages mainly as they are more conspicuous for some reason. i think that most vintages actually go so low under peoples radars that they arent even spotted for a rolex never mind a replica version.

i wear a gen vintage sub daily (either 5512 or 5513 depending) and as a result of this wrist time i can spot reps of those models a mile off. i can also spot redials, modern bezel replacements on gens too and thats for starters and without getting too close to the person.

im sure that this must hold for the portion of watch enthusiasts that own a gen of any model, but i am also more sure that theres as large a portion that honestly dont care about your watch, their watch or anyone elses.

ive only once had a comment made about my watch and it was along the lines of someone selling good ones on the beach on holiday. would they have cared if id told them it was 40 years old and really rather authentic?

That is a beauty - I have been looking for a white gold Daydate like that can you share more info on it?

thank you, it is a swiss eta day date from ruby. i studied these for a couple of years before buying one and this is the best i have found. the case is the correct size and although it is light compared to solid gold it still has good weight and a real solid gold dd still isn't as heavy as you would think. no rolex watch is really heavy. it would have to be somebody familiar with handling them to call it out as a rep.

as far as diamonds and looking fake? i live around old oil money. everybody has a customized diamond encrusted rollie. when they see mine they just think i am cheap but they never think it is fake. lol

i wear a gen vintage sub daily (either 5512 or 5513 depending) and as a result of this wrist time i can spot reps of those models a mile off. i can also spot redials, modern bezel replacements on gens too and thats for starters and without getting too close to the person.

im sure that this must hold for the portion of watch enthusiasts that own a gen of any model, but i am also more sure that theres as large a portion that honestly dont care about your watch, their watch or anyone elses.

Most members here know what to look for because we have all spent countless hours researching the differences between our reps and the gens, not to mention the hundreds of differences between the various gens themselves. I know alot of gen Rolex owners (my best friend's family owns a chain of upscale jewelry stores that sell Rolex) and I do not think the average Rolex owner can tell a good rep from a gen. Most Rolex owners are too busy making money to fund their lifestyle to be bothered to take the time required to learn about all the things to look for in spotting good reps. I am assuming that we are talking about stainless steel models without CZ 'jewels'.

im not sure if you were agreeing or finding some disagreement with what i was saying?

for clarification my point was that while there are indeed many rolex owners who are also watch enthusiasts and thus take an interest (often seriously) in their watches and by default other peoples, many and i would stretch to suggest more, dont give two cents about their watch let alone other peoples.

to expand further, the short of this must mean that many people will be unable to call out your watch with any authority but that theres always a real chance that someone both will and be armed with the facts to do so with reason.

regardless of actual authority, as a rolex owner (rep or gen) you are faced with the perception that your watch is infact fake almost any time you encounter anyone either interested or who inadvertently catches the coronet on the dial. its inescapable and something i only see occuring with the rolex brand.

a very very large portion of the population assume any rolex they see is fake and do call it out as such, either directly or to their friends or whoever they are with. its my experience that this is not for any reason other than we have all seen them every time we have gone on holiday, every back street shop we have been into, the price for a gen to most seems exuberant and its common knowledge its the most faked watch around. all this adds up to the assumption regardless of most situations or context that any one they notice is probably a fake.

im not sure i agree with your comment regarding most rolex owners being too concerned with creating wealth to bother to learn about the myriad of variations across the models however or between gens and reps. the first part conforms to a stereotype attached to rolex ownership that in my experience is largely false and it certainly doesnt explain the latter lack of interest.

almost all hobbys in the main are something passionately followed by a few and ignored by the many and watches certainly fall nicely into this category i think. its my opinion that its due to this that many have little or no knowledge on this matter and actually care even less.

Edited by thewightstuff

How? :blink:

You need to be up close and have the watch in your hand to spot that.

i didnt meant with regards to identifying something wrong with the shape, size or print of the coronet but simply a spotting of the coronet itself on the dial sparking brand recognition.

this thread again raises the black cloud lurking along behind rep collecting though. it something thats sadly inescapable even though many here are as passionate or committed to their interest as any (and more so than many gen forums for sure)

Edited by thewightstuff

Reg, that is just so wrong. It may be a gen, I would not know, but it hurts my eyes.

Usil

You didn't hear... That is to be the centerpeice of their baselworld trade booth, In 5 years every rolex will come standard with bling and animal print. I'm waiting for the zebra dial sub on full diamond and onyx oyster band.

im not sure if you were agreeing or finding some disagreement with what i was saying?

a very very large portion of the population assume any rolex they see is fake and do call it out as such, either directly or to their friends or whoever they are with.

im not sure i agree with your comment regarding most rolex owners being too concerned with creating wealth to bother to learn about the myriad of variations across the models however or between gens and reps.

almost all hobbys in the main are something passionately followed by a few and ignored by the many and watches certainly fall nicely into this category i think. its my opinion that its due to this that many have little or no knowledge on this matter and actually care even less.

In general, I think we are saying the same thing. But I do disagree, at least based on my experience, with the two points above.

First, regarding the proportion of the public that assumes every Rolex is fake. We must travel in very different circles because I frequently receive compliments from both friends and casual acquaintances about my beautiful 'Rolexes', and rarely (maybe three or four times in the past 20 years) has anyone ever asked if my watch was real. But I will admit that the last 2 times I was asked was in the last few months, and I think this is because there are so many people wearing obviously fake Rolexes these days. Personally, I only question a Rolex's authenticity when I can see it is a fake or when I see someone that obviously does not fit with a particular watch (like the case of the landscaper paying for groceries with food stamps while wearing a 'gold Daydate').

Of course, my watches are all well modded stainless steel models and do not contain any of the obvious mistakes that are frequently described in news reports and books about fake watches.

Second, one of the reasons I said Rolex owners are more concerned with making money (I get this info from my friend, whose family owns a jewelry store chain) is because they tend not to have time for hobbies. Magazines like Forbes often do stories about the lives of wealthy people and these people almost always say that they are married to their businesses or careers, which leaves little or no time for anything else (and that often includes their families) that does not in some way benefit their work (alot of business executives like Donald Trump do take time out from their workday to play alot of golf because they consider a golf course the best place to conduct business -- I do not play golf myself, so I cannot confirm this). I think it is probably safe to say that the average Rolex owner owns 1 Rolex watch and wears it daily and to advertise their bank balance and not because they have a wealth of knowledge about watches in general. But I could be wrong.

In general, I think we are saying the same thing. But I do disagree, at least based on my experience, with the two points above.

First, regarding the proportion of the public that assumes every Rolex is fake. We must travel in very different circles because I frequently receive compliments from both friends and casual acquaintances about my beautiful 'Rolexes', and rarely (maybe three or four times in the past 20 years) has anyone ever asked if my watch was real. But I will admit that the last 2 times I was asked was in the last few months, and I think this is because there are so many people wearing obviously fake Rolexes these days. Personally, I only question a Rolex's authenticity when I can see it is a fake or when I see someone that obviously does not fit with a particular watch (like the case of the landscaper paying for groceries with food stamps while wearing a 'gold Daydate').

Of course, my watches are all well modded stainless steel models and do not contain any of the obvious mistakes that are frequently described in news reports and books about fake watches.

Second, one of the reasons I said Rolex owners are more concerned with making money (I get this info from my friend, whose family owns a jewelry store chain) is because they tend not to have time for hobbies. Magazines like Forbes often do stores about the lives of wealthy people and these people almost always say that they are married to their businesses or careers, which leaves little or no time for anything else (and that often includes their families) that does not in some way benefit their work (alot of business executives like Donald Trump do take time out from their workday to play alot of golf because they consider a golf course the best place to conduct business -- I do not play golf myself, so I cannot confirm this). I think it is probably safe to say that the average Rolex owner owns 1 Rolex watch and wears it daily and to advertise their bank balance and not because they have a wealth of knowledge about watches in general. But I could be wrong.

Very well put. My experience with wealthy people is that most are very one dimensional during their aquisition and accumulation phases of life. The ones I know focus almost entirely on building their businesses or accumulating wealth. Extravagant vacations, opulant homes and luxury watches and cars are often rewards for accomplishing goals and for showing the world that they have done well in life. This is a generalization of course - but I do not believe that the exception disproves the theory.

I hope you guys didn't think was a stupid post. I really wanted to hear your opinions. I can tell you (as a newbie to the replica world and previous genuine owner) that I had no idea replicas had come this far. I had no idea there were vintage models now and was suprised to see a few of the models available. A Sub date model has alway been the one I pinned as a fake when I see it. That is probably part of the reason I like the nodate models as well as I do. I can say that if I wanted to wear a replica in my area that I wanted perceived as the real thing (we do right?), it would be a vintage GMT (not a pepsi) with a jubilee band or a vintage Sub.

Given the quality of reps these days like a MBW, I don't think that I could justify spending the $$ for a gennie as a daily worn watch. As you may have read in one of my other posts, I smashed a Sub. I was wearing once and maybe I'm a little gun shy.

I'm feeling hooked on reps. I have an Omega PO on the way and my next purchase will most likely be a nodate Sub., I've always wanted a genuine old Sub with yellowed markers. I think it gives character to the watch, now I can get a rep for a fraction of the cost.

I've owned many watches over the years and I honesty feel that I have had more reliability from an ETA movement than any other. Granted I usually bought used Rolexes, but I usually had to get them worked on. Never an ETA.