When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Winder / Seller Question...

The cack

Well with that feed back for over 10000 sales and at that price give it a go, even if the winder was louder than my harley it would be a great presentation box, go on give it ago, btw i have two china winders that are not as loud as my bike but not far off and if this is better let me know please.

TA

A 6 watch winder for that price..................wow..........how bad can it be anyway?

Ken

Bad enough to quit in 8 months?

I have three watch winders through the bay, all Chinese made, all beautiful looking, all less than $100, all less than 2 years old and all three have a dead winder. Ever wonder why good watch winders are so expensive? Because working reliably all day every day for years is tough to manufacture.

Basically, this level of quality winder is disposable. If you get 18 months out of one, consider yourself lucky.

Same experience here :( I have a few of these Chinese winders in nice looking cases sitting in the junk drawer :( None made it a year... definitely need to view as disposable. I also have a Orbita that was $275 it is flawless for two years now. I am looking for another Orbita or for a Softwind (Primadyn) -- have heard excellent things about them as well.

Bad enough to quit in 8 months?

I have three watch winders through the bay, all Chinese made, all beautiful looking, all less than $100, all less than 2 years old and all three have a dead winder. Ever wonder why good watch winders are so expensive? Because working reliably all day every day for years is tough to manufacture.

Basically, this level of quality winder is disposable. If you get 18 months out of one, consider yourself lucky.

SO far mine's working for just over a year. It was $50 for a 4 watch winder. My only complaint is that if left running it keeps the watches TOO wound. It goes for 30 minutes and rests an hour, turning bidirectionally when on. I have connected it to an automatic outlet timer (like for when you go on vacation) and have it set to stay on 4 hours in the day and 4 hours at night. I set it so that my 7750's just keep turning (since they are unidirectional) even though my Rolex and Omega get wound twice as much. I'd like to get a better one and have been waiting for this one to die but it keeps going.

I've had it apart and it's a pretty simple device. If it breaks it won't be hard to fix.

Has anyone created a thread on taking apart and repairing or lubing the cheapie. I've seen a few people have said they've done it on a few threads but not a post that actually discussing the take apart of the winders.

I have one that should probably be oiled before it gets any louder.

I have four Steinhousen quad winders.

All bought two or more years ago.

Each one has been slowly dying.

First one winder gets loud then eventually stops, then another.

I first thought is was the motors going bad.

It's actually the circuit boards that have gone bad, loose their power output.

I can source motors but cannot source circuit boards for repairs.

As The Cack said - they now make nice presentation boxes.

A 6 watch winder for that price..................wow..........how bad can it be anyway?

Ken

Oh, they can be quite bad, actually. I ordered a winder that was DOA. Stunning on the outside, with beautiful polished wood. The Seller told me to open it up to see if there was a loose connection. Upon opening the box, I discovered what must have been the poorest electrical work I've ever seen and cheapo circuit boards; there was a sloppy spider web of glue strung all over the place. Serious crappolla. Fortunately, the seller was honorable and gave me a full refund for returned item.