When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are Explorer II reps worth owning? Any giant flaws?

itreeman

@ JJFlash: Are you saying that because you beleive that is the movement that I have in mine? How would I tell if there are no markings. Dumb question time: Are there any models that are known to not have markings? Thanks!

If the movement is not stamped ETA then it is an Asian automatic.

Asian movements bear no markings to identify themselves.

Even our prized GMT ETA's have a little Asian gearing attached to them for the GMT feature.

So they are not 100% ETA, only about 99%.

ETA's are the best, tho some Asian movements can be quite good.

However, sorting this out can be quite difficult.

I have always been a big fan of the Explorer II and am thinking of picking one up from one of the dealers. Are there any real big (easily noticable flaws) on the current Exp II reps out there? Any general input on the Exp II rep?

Thanks in advance.

EXP II rep is a honest rep, all the exp from usual RWG sellers I think are identical,

post-3745-1178295098_thumb.jpg

The two greater defects are the dial and the date font

Is very difficult to find to dial for an Expl II is more easy to find a Exp I or Exp II Vintage (if beautiful, hog price !!)

I would wait for if in future TW

EXP II rep is a honest rep, all the exp from usual RWG sellers I think are identical,

Is very difficult to find to dial for an Expl II is more easy to find a Exp I or Exp II Vintage (if beautiful, hog price !!)

hog = high sorry

Hello,

You mentioned that one of the major defects was the dial, what exactly is the defect on the dial.

I know that mine does not have the Rolex and the Perpetual X/L line up, but that's it.

Yours seems to have the proper configuration... what am I missing?

Kindest regards,

Robb AKA Flamemax

Edited by By-Tor

Guest avitt

I like mine:

242349-9481.jpg

Someday soon, I'll get around to modifying it with:

• Relume
  • New crown
  • Shortened crown guards
  • Beveled lug edges

I don't consider any of these improvements necessary, however.

That's really nice Avitt. The hour hand adjustable ExpII is really, really good replica. Very hard to tell from a genuine.

Maybe even the best Rolex rep out there (out of the box).

Guest avitt
I read somewhere that the correct hand stack versions were discontinued? Who still has them? Which dealer did you guys get yours? How long ago?

Thanks

Mine came from another member, who bought it from Andrew, who, I understand, no longer sells them. So yes, they may be quite difficult to find now.

I have always been a big fan of the Explorer II and am thinking of picking one up from one of the dealers. Are there any real big (easily noticable flaws) on the current Exp II reps out there? Any general input on the Exp II rep?

Thanks in advance.

Answer:

The movement is the biggest flaw. Not a true GMT movement and operation.

The modified ETA 2836 is too risky, and the ETA 2893 is not an effective GMT movement, and different in operation and usability to the genuine.

Guest avitt

It's my opinion that the modified 2836 GMT movement has a much worse reputation than is deserves. I've got two of them (one with adjustable GMT hand, and one with adjustable hour hand). They have 2 and 1 years, respectively, of accurate service thus far. The ExpII is my piece of choice for international trips. The adjustable hour hand is as close to the functionality of a "real GMT" as you can come.

Hello,

You mentioned that one of the major defects was the dial, what exactly is the defect on the dial.

I know that mine does not have the Rolex and the Perpetual X/L line up, but that's it.

Yours seems to have the proper configuration... what am I missing?

Kindest regards,

Robb AKA Flamemax

I do not want to indicate as "defect" an error (for example a number more often or moved etc

That rep is a bad apple... I remember when those first surfaced. The newer better versions didn't have that bold datefont. It's almost exact on the decent version.

• 1 month later...