When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Rolex 1665

Mickey Padge

Very nice but isn't that a transitional dial used on the first sapphire crystal Seadwellers. Hats off for scoring one of those. That's a great watch.

P.

I never noticed that before on the dial, 4000ft/1220m :)

I can't seem to find much info about the dial. I will continue looking, good spot polexpete! :D

Yep, polexpete got that one. The 16660 came out in 1978 with a sapphire crystal and the increased rating of 1220m=4000ft and an enlarged gas escape valve. Same style hours markers as the 1665, 1680 and the early 16800.

I also like your bezel insert, cg's and crown. I guess that's a MBW case. Looks good.

Yes it seems there was a transitional period from 1978-1980's where they went to the saphire crystal version from the 1665. May not be accurate, but it is unique and I like the colour of the hour markers and hands.

The CG's were opened up by Oli, I also took off some more on the bottom of the CG's and smoothed the insides. The crown is gen as is the pearl. The insert is a great aftermarket insert that looks gen to my eys :)

Then of course there is the Ubi datewheel, that looks FANTASTIC. It really adds a great deal to the watch, over the standard MBW overlay :D

The crystal is aftermarket too, but looks better than the stock MBW version. Oli drilled the lugholes and installed decent looking springbars. His work is top draw for sure :)

Thanks Mike... glad you enjoy it.

The springbars are gen and as I remember the crystal is too - a Tropic 39 flat.

Cheers!

Ah I never realised that! Thanks for the info. :)

Also this watch has managed to get my Steelfish off my wrist and thats not any easy thing to do!

No I didn't do that - they came like this and my observation is that these are gen Tritium fillings. Looks perfectly authentic and emmits just the least little bit of glow...

Wow Oli you are right! There is VERY faint lume on the dial and hands, very realistic for what should be an old dial.

Great stuff! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

• 7 months later...

Nice work repaustria. Is that an ND dial? Great crown, but I am not so sure about their fonts. Some of the serifs in the small text look a little too blocky, like an American Old West font (think Bonanza) instead of what Rolex used.

Sorry you need to sell the watch, Mickey. Tritium has been illegal to possess (with the exception of a limited number of highly regulated industrial applications) for years, so I would doubt there is any of it on your dial.