When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5513 and 5517 replacement case

flyback

Aren't these replica cases?? And overpriced to boot! It does look like the 5513 has the old style 24-7020 tube in it. But I'm w/ Jet on this one- buy an MBW 1680 and at least you know what you're getting, since it will take gen parts. You'd have to buy a 5513 dial anyway and then you can build your own 5513.

is it me or the caseback on that 5517 case too thick... also i was under the impression that 5517 case backs on the inside were marked as 5513 it was my undertanding that the 5517 ref apeared btwn the 12 lugs and on the bottom right lug ( with the case back facing you )

Well, i already have a mbw 1680... just don't know what i will do with this case.

I don't have bought the ubi datewheel because i was in holidays in italy... and Randy seems to have forgotten me!

I already have a gen tropic 127, but if i can't have a decent datewheel i think i will build a 5513 or 5512 instead of a 1680.

Decisions, decisions...

I bought a 5513 replacement case from a different seller in Avondale Az. The auction pictures and the case look like they are coming from the same source. I'm knew to this, so can't give you a real good opinion, but you might want to look at my thread "Vintage 5513 Project?" You might also want to PM Justasgood, since he has seen my case in person.

those dials arent especially good IMHO, theres a lot obviously wrong with them tbh. if you are going to the trouble. stick out $500 or so for a gen dial, you wont regret it.

as for the cases, same issue as the MBWs have in that the shape is wrong for these models and is infact the 1680 shape.

the 551x range didnt use the same case as the 1680 which is fatter in profile. its pretty easily spotted if you are reasonably well acquainted with the gens and a common mistake on the vintage watches where they somehow assume (or for easiness sake) that all cases were the same across all the models.

Guest Obeyan
Well they should fit in the replacement case - they def don't fit in the MBW case.

I suspect these cases come all from the same factory. I have a 1655 replacement case sitting here - looks very good, best case so far - and it just seems to have the same characteristics....

Does it have a correct caseback? Or, is it the usual thick caseback?

We'll let's suppose somebody needs to replace his GEN 5513 banged up case with a REP case , will the 1520 Movement fit correctly ?

"somebody" would go to rolex for a replacement 44xxxxx serialed case. it used to be that you could have picked up a spare 5513 case from the watch parts dealers. they had them around and left over from the parting process however the rise in the 5513 has meant this route is all but gone as the 5513s are re-assembled leaving rolex the only source.

ive no idea if a 15xx would fit into these ebay cases. they are advertised as being for such so may well do. the rise of vintage parts prices and the serious restriction of new parts has made the job of building a franken out of gen parts as expensive as buying a gen in the first place these days.