When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How bad does it have to be before you return it?

flamemax

Hello All,

I am wondering how badly flawed a watch has to be before you guys consider returning it?

Will you only return a watch if it has flaws outside of the scope of "being an identical replica", for instance a scratch, a stripped screw in the bracelet or better yet (my situation) a very badly aligned cyclops.

Just to put everyone in context I received an Explorer II (white face) the day before yesterday and the cyclops is very misaligned. There is also a black fleck on the inside of the crystal (microscopic in nature, but i can see it and it bothers me).

The watch has other problems like the X on Rolex not aligning with the L in Perpetual as well as the crown being too big, but I can live with these flaws.

Thanks for any advice on how to deal with this.

PS if any of you have DIY fixes for this, I am all ears.

Kindest regards,

Hi Corgi,

My dealer is local, and I saw the watch before transferring $$. The problem is 2 fold, I'm a n00b to replicas and in the excitement of receiving my first watch, I lost my keen eye for details, accepted the watch and was on my way.

Once the excitement settled, I inspected the watch (well b4 I could inspect it, it fell off my wrist due to a stripped screw in the bracelet) and noticed the afore mentioned issues.

I guess my question is, what has your experience been when asking for corrections on a purchased watch, are dealers usually receptive to this?

Kindest regards,

Hey Woody,

Did that already. Check the Rolex area under "Explorer II known flaws"

The quality of the pics is not the best (no lightbox) but I will post more on Saturday when I can take some pics outside in daylight.

Thanks.

My rule is ... if I can't fix it myself, back it goes. If it looks exactly like it did in the pictures and I find a design defect upon closer inspection, like a word in too bold type or something, then that's my problem.

@PUG: Hey Pug,

Thanks for chiming in, I have been reading your posts and just so you know, you have gained my respect.

As for your post, I am not sure I understand, this dealer was local, and there were no pictures transferred before I purchased, we met in a coffee shop, he pulled the watch our of his pocket, I pulled the money our of mine, we chatted for a short while ( I made a mention of this forum :thumbsupsmileyanim: ) and we were both on our way.

In short, I was blinded by excitement.

The sores on the watch started to appear hours later as I got home from work and unwinded a bit.

So, about what you said, I shoudl try to correct the flaws myself or forget about it?

You said "If I can't fix it myself, back it goes" and "if it is the same as the picture, it's my problem"

I say: I would like to fix it myself, but lack some experience - there was no picture.

Thanks again to any and all who help a n00b with this dilemma.

I am also wondering what to expect form my dealer.. is it SOP for dealers to correct issues such as this?

I have been reading your posts and just so you know, you have gained my respect.

Aw, shucks! :wub:

As for your post, I am not sure I understand, this dealer was local, and there were no pictures transferred before I purchased, we met in a coffee shop, he pulled the watch our of his pocket, I pulled the money our of mine, we chatted for a short while ( I made a mention of this forum :thumbsupsmileyanim: ) and we were both on our way.

In short, I was blinded by excitement.

If there's nothing mechanically wrong, you may need to just chalk this one up to experience.

Have you spoken to the guy? He may have a replacement. If not, what you've described is the sort of thing I'd fix. Pop the crystal, clean it, put it back together. If you can't do this, do you have any watchsmiths nearby?

Before buying, I look closely at the picture and try to inform me as much as possible on the flaw other people have posted. If I order, then I know and accept those flaws.

If a watch is quite different from the picture posted by the dealer, I will then try to exchange it.

That said, If you talk about a fine scratch, it's not something I would be mad about (anyway, after a week of wearing, it will have to scratch) For a stripped screw, I would ask for that screw and fix it myself (dremel time :p)

It's all about knowledge. If from the picture the cyclop was misaligned, then you bought it that way. Else, it's another story.

I would prefer having a new crystal (with the cyclops) and fix it myself. It's not that hard anyway.

Edited by vric

The first rep I purchased had a very small chip in the crystal right on top of the 7 hour marker. But I was afraid of dealing with customs going back and forth and you can't see it unless your looking for it so it doesn't bother me. If it bothers you that bad and you won't be able to enjoy the watch, send it back or see what the seller can do to help you out.

Yeah Flame as Puggy just stated you may indeed have to chalk it up to experience due to the simple fact that this dealer is going to say hang on sport you held the watch in your hands before buying it's a bit late to bring it back now.

Just out of interest how much did you fork out for the watch?

Ken

Duh! :black_eye:

I should have picked up on those, but the QC threw me off, in these parts is QA ;)

Yes - I will take more pics on Saturday. I work I'm a manager for IT Operations, so I'm sure some of you can understand that I do not get to see much daylight.

The issues are indeed QC related.

And I guess I could kill 2 birds with one stone by opening the watch, removing the black particle under the crystal and "attempt" to pur everything back straight. I just hope that the Cyclops being offset is due to the crystal being a bit off and not because the cyclopy is glued on at an angle on the crystal.

My other issue with this would be ... how would I align it, are there tricks of the trade, any particular measurements I can take to make my alignment scientific instead of "eyeing it" ?

Context - i would want to be able to put the crystal and the bezel back so that they are *spot* on!

I am not sure what level of comfort you have in tinkering around with the internals of the watch, but I would take this opportunity to install a genuine 16570 dial (which will correct all the flaws and improve the watch as it is a genuine part), at which time you can also remove any debris/particles on the inner surface of the crystal. You may have to use a different date overlay to align/position the date properly... Kind of depends on which version watch you have as this detail can vary between manufacturers/factories/locations, etc.

Aligning the cyclops shouldn't be too terribly difficult to do- All you need to do is heat up the crystal to melt the glue holding the cyclops on (some tutorials on how to do this are on the forum) and then realign with crystal cement, which will dry completely clear/invisible.

The end result? A nice modded watch with some genuine parts... Taking a bad situation and making it better :)

I myself usually end up using only the case or dial from a rep watch in my projects anyways. The flaws are somewhat to be expected... But that doesn't mean they have to stay that way ;)

Good luck and all the best...

Randy