When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What leather I have sourced in my trip

V

Wat kind of strap you would like to see?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Leather type:

• VINTAGE
    • CONTEMPORARY

Tomorrow I am off for a trip to Greece where I will try to find a big quantity of leather to make straps to offer to the forum.

But I should choose between two styles:

1. VINTAGE.

I may be able to find old leather from the 1st and 2nd World war.

2. Contemporary

As the title says. New leather probably from a Brand (like the CK, Marlboro, Sergio Tacchini etc I have sourced for myself)

Final cost of the strap (custom made to your specifications and size from 22/22 to 26/26) won't be more than 100$ without buckle (but of course it may be less than that depending on the cost of the leather I will source).

Let me know what you think and if you believe this is a good idea. B)

Yeah.. maybe people don't want to give 100$ but I guess there are people who would be very much interested for a WWII tan aged leather that it will go perfect with their vintage watches ;)

But anyway.. I will source some vintage leather for myself and maybe just a bit more (so I won't loose much if noone wants it)

P.S> The only strap that has that kind of leather is the XaMas and they begin from 250$ :)

I think it's a good idea, Veni.

I have all my straps custom made by Aaron (I like the exotics), and they're $100 to $179 - without the buckle...

But true vintage isn't something you can just order if you feel like it; as you've pointed out, it's hard to come by. Having a little extra on hand won't hurt.

Have a great trip!

that is a nice idea...

you just have to find people who are ready to pay 100$ for a strap...

i am going at the end of the month the see a fair of leather...maybe i'll get some nice leather...I'll see what is to get...

I am not going to do it for the money.. i will do it for my few friends here...

If i wanted to sell it and make big money i can get more than 100$ on Paneristi and ebay... :whistling:

Hello from sunny GR...

NEWS.. well quite fabulous news. i have sourced a jacket from around 1950 real italian leather and made in italy..FABULOUS vintage look and that smell....mmmm that smell..... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

More things to source the weekend... :victory:

More stuff from the weekend..

From WW2 a gun case, and from around 1890-1900 a calf camera case with croc grain.

Photos when I will come back Thursday..

The Marlboro straps (24/24 and 26/26) are ready. Photos attached ;)

post-89-1145266686.jpg

post-89-1145266704.jpg

That's it with the photos. The old man who sold me the leathers told me just that they are genuine leather. dodn't know what kind or anything.. sourced them in a basement somewhere in the centre of Athens..

1. is a dark brown colour PERFECT for radiomirs and fiddys with gold hands

2. you know what it is

3. also a very nice dark brown colour with beautiful grain

4. This is not black.. it is something black/grey tone. Haven;t seen it before.

5. RED.

6. Burgundy will match nicely with black and brown clothes and dials

7. a very very shinny red leather with a very strange surface, have no idea what it is.

8. like number 2

9. beige/ivory leather.. perfect for summer

More details when I come back to UK...

Save your money and time. I don't think anyone wants to spend $100 on a leather strap without a buckle.

Might want to speak only for yourself in that regard, Estaban. I'd definitely pay a Franklin for a well made strap in an interesting leather--especially if it has a cool story behind it--and I bet more than a few other RWGers would too. High end straps are IMO the single most important "Mod" on a rep both to improve apprearance and accuracy. HM straps (The best on earth bar none in my book) cost $140. Eliot and Drew's best straps are also over $100.