When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is MBW and where do I buy?

mucrewbtp

I see this abbreviation used to describe all sorts of replicas. What does it mean and where would I buy one of these watches? I saw a thread about an MBW royal oak and it looked to be a very nice rep. Is there one particular dealer that sells these, or is it a category? Somebody please help me out, I feel like i'm being left out of the loop here.

-Mike

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike:

MBW stands for "Maria's Best Watch" who used to supply watches and be a presence several years ago. The jokw was that Maria was like Seinfeld's "soup nazi"...if you asked too many questions..then no watch. Convential wisdom is that the best MBWs are the vintage rollies because they will take genuine parts.....and make the ideal platform for project watches....There is a difference of opinion on the modern rollies as to whether or not they are better or relatively the same as offered by other sellers....

if you use the "search" function on this board, you will find where to get these watches (at least the rollies)...the A/P ROO is a bit more difficult...

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I think I can help you the most by reccomending you edit this thread, use the search engine, and privately contact people who you learn from that search might be able to source an MBW Royal Oak. I've been here quite some time, and I don't know specifically how to find an MBW w/o sending more than a few PM's. The people who know where to get (and those who sell MBW's) are pretty secretive for obvious reasons--I hope you don't get mad at the messenger, and I hope I'm wrong, but I think that using your third post to ask "Where can I buy an MBW" has probably decreased your chances of getting one but will instead get you a few unkind responses.

Why is everyone on replica boards an [censored] to anyone with less than 1000 posts. I had a simple question, yes I have searched for posts relating to MBW watches, however all I found was people referencing them. I found many posts about Submariners and other vintage Rolex models that were referred to as MBW, but nowhere did I find an actual description of what the designation meant other than Maria's Best Watch, and yes I already knew that. I wanted to know if they are new, or no longer produced, where they are/were made, or if "Maria" has a website. I also resent the fact that everyone assumes that just because I have only a few posts that I'm an idiot. I actually am a self-taught watchmaker, I can service and repair any movement found in a rep. My current projects include a vintage Hamilton wristwatch, a pair of genuine (Mans,Womans) vintage Datejusts from the 70's, and a Chronomat Evolution Rep. I will be posting pictures of the Rolex service for those interested. Part of the reason I have so few posts is because every time I have posted something on this and other forums I get a string of douchebag answers from people acting like I'm somehow personally inconveniencing them by my question. If you do not want to answer a question, just don't answer it. I would like to thank those who have given me legitimate answers. For everyone who had to make some completely pointless [censored] remark about how few posts I have, please do everyone on the forum a favor, and next time you see a question being asked either choose to answer it or ignore it. There is no need for a half a dozen posts commenting on my perceived inexperience. They just add to the crap everyone else has to sift through in order to find some legitimate information. Heres a good guideline to go by, if you aren't going to add to the overall knowledge base of the forum by your post, then don't post at all.

Why is everyone on replica boards an [censored] to anyone with less than 1000 posts. I had a simple question, yes I have searched for posts relating to MBW watches, however all I found was people referencing them. I found many posts about Submariners and other vintage Rolex models that were referred to as MBW, but nowhere did I find an actual description of what the designation meant other than Maria's Best Watch, and yes I already knew that. I wanted to know if they are new, or no longer produced, where they are/were made, or if "Maria" has a website. I also resent the fact that everyone assumes that just because I have only a few posts that I'm an idiot. I actually am a self-taught watchmaker, I can service and repair any movement found in a rep. My current projects include a vintage Hamilton wristwatch, a pair of genuine (Mans,Womans) vintage Datejusts from the 70's, and a Chronomat Evolution Rep. I will be posting pictures of the Rolex service for those interested. Part of the reason I have so few posts is because every time I have posted something on this and other forums I get a string of douchebag answers from people acting like I'm somehow personally inconveniencing them by my question. If you do not want to answer a question, just don't answer it. I would like to thank those who have given me legitimate answers. For everyone who had to make some completely pointless [censored] remark about how few posts I have, please do everyone on the forum a favor, and next time you see a question being asked either choose to answer it or ignore it. There is no need for a half a dozen posts commenting on my perceived inexperience. They just add to the crap everyone else has to sift through in order to find some legitimate information. Heres a good guideline to go by, if you aren't going to add to the overall knowledge base of the forum by your post, then don't post at all.
It's great that you have something to offer, however you should understand that we are all

looking out for one another, as this is an illegal game we are playing here, so please don't expect

us to roll out the red carpet and point the way to sources for someone that we have no knowledge of.

I hope you can understand, and also that the posts pointing you to the source by search, was

being polite, as that is the best they can do under the circumstances.

It's great that you have something to offer, however you should understand that we are all

looking out for one another, as this is an illegal game we are playing here, so please don't expect

us to roll out the red carpet and point the way to sources for someone that we have no knowledge of.

I hope you can understand, and also that the posts pointing you to the source by search, was

being polite, as that is the best they can do under the circumstances.

... And I will add to RT's post that if every new guy on the block asked these questions, there would be no space left on the forum.

We all have questions when joining a new hobby/forum... The best thing to do is to take a week or two and just read, and read, and then read some more.... and after you've read more, refine your searching and read even more.

After that, is the best time to start asking questions...

In other words... patience grasshopper.

AND WELCOME TO OUR LITTLE CORNER :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Why is everyone on replica boards an [censored] to anyone with less than 1000 posts. I had a simple question, yes I have searched for posts relating to MBW watches, however all I found was people referencing them. I found many posts about Submariners and other vintage Rolex models that were referred to as MBW, but nowhere did I find an actual description of what the designation meant other than Maria's Best Watch, and yes I already knew that.

Gee...you must have searched very hard.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Review-Of-Modded...riner-t927.html

It's an introduction to MBW watches. This is "sticky" in the subforum called "Rolex Area". I wonder how much "more accessible" you can make ANY information.

Edited by By-Tor

Gee...you must have searched very hard.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Review-Of-Modded...riner-t927.html

It's an introduction to MBW watches. This is "sticky" in the subforum called "Rolex Area". I wonder how much "more accessible" you can make ANY information.

Like I said before, I read that and it didn't answer my questions. If you had read my previous post that source is obviously the one I was referring to. It is more of a review of a particular watch than of the MBW line. If you are not interested in helping me just don't respond. Don't be an elitist ass and act like I'm somehow wasting your time.

If you are not interested in helping me just don't respond. Don't be an elitist ass and act like I'm somehow wasting your time.

That attitude will make you tons of friends here. :mellow:

Good luck, hope you find what you're looking for :whistling:

I have never asked none about MBW or DW or what ever....the search buton was the only help...and for sure the VIP membership.

You say that you have searched...this is not true because i have searched too and i found what is an MBW where to find ,how much,which photobucket, etc...etc...

You are saying that you tried other forums....did you try also TRC?? Im sure not!Because if you did you would not ask that question here.

its realy nice that you have the ability to service movements and watches...but it does no deference that you can find all the answers at once!

And if you where searching good...you can see a post of the "master" The Zigmeister who is saying that in the first 6 months it was realy hard to find answers and to make friends!

Btw you are welcome here as i was welcome here,like all members are welcome here.Try a litle more over all the forums and you will find a lot of MBW info and where to buy!

Regards.

Why is everyone on replica boards an [censored] to anyone with less than 1000 posts.

Because this hobby is illegal. We need to spot the shills. :whistling:

Besides, it's only to people with less than 10 posts asking for dealers, not contributing members with hundreds of posts.

Like I said before, I read that and it didn't answer my questions. If you had read my previous post that source is obviously the one I was referring to. It is more of a review of a particular watch than of the MBW line. If you are not interested in helping me just don't respond. Don't be an elitist ass and act like I'm somehow wasting your time.

Can I chip in here in my inimitable style....?

Muckreywetboy or whatever your name is - [censored] off if you don't like the response. You found us, not the other way around. If we can't help you with what is already contained in here then I doubt your enlightening presence is going to elicit more from us.

Elitist? Maybe, but you are the one asking for something, so learn to play the game or go away.

We're not "elitists". We're "illegalists"!!!!!

When I first arrived, I bucked against the information squeeze here often accusing the members of acting like they had the "keys to the kingdom". The fact is that the continued existance and viability of this resource depends on prudent publication of that information.

Look, in all fairness to mucrewbtp , as a newcomer he finds this board where he can access all kinds of information on where to find all kinds of watches and through this gold mind, finds the ability to source high quality items through the collectors and member trade pages. Than he reads about MBW's and all the great work you guys do to make them top-notch, but he cannot find where to get one. I mean really, you can search this site all day and perhaps NEVER find the source unless you know the right people How is he supposed to know that you need a decoder ring and a secret hand shake ? To him, they are just like the the other reps that he can very easily get access to... he knows no better.

I can understand the reluctance to impart the information, but really, criticisizing for not searching when it is so hard to find the source that way , or he is our of line asking after only 3 posts when he has no way of knowing that these are any different than the other sources he can get his hands on... i think that is kind of harsh.

We're not "elitists". We're "illegalists"!!!!!

When I first arrived, I bucked against the information squeeze here often accusing the members of acting like they had the "keys to the kingdom". The fact is that the continued existance and viability of this resource depends on prudent publication of that information.

"Illegalists" - I like that :D

elprimerozen and others gave good advice (again) for the new people that happen to read this. Search, read, search, read...ad infinitum, but the that's standard protocol on any Forum. If you want to know about reps, the yings and yangs of the acronyms or who the respected dealers are (as opposed to the stealers), you'll do the legwork. Pretty simple, really.

boy i love your attitude. just ignore those who are against you. i do it all the time. you will soon find out, that there are some very good&nice people and some are just a waste of time.

you dont need to be everybodys friend&asskisser. asskissers have no personality. dont ever take a hit without reaction. if you have any questions regarding mbw's, send me a PM. my box tends to be pretty full though, because I always get a bunch of PMs and I dont want to delete most of them, so if you get an "PM box is full" message, try it again later :)

Look, in all fairness to mucrewbtp , as a newcomer he finds this board where he can access all kinds of information on where to find all kinds of watches and through this gold mind, finds the ability to source high quality items through the collectors and member trade pages. Than he reads about MBW's and all the great work you guys do to make them top-notch, but he cannot find where to get one. I mean really, you can search this site all day and perhaps NEVER find the source unless you know the right people How is he supposed to know that you need a decoder ring and a secret hand shake ? To him, they are just like the the other reps that he can very easily get access to... he knows no better.

I can understand the reluctance to impart the information, but really, criticisizing for not searching when it is so hard to find the source that way , or he is our of line asking after only 3 posts when he has no way of knowing that these are any different than the other sources he can get his hands on... i think that is kind of harsh.

Maybe, but in the light of recent events on these boards and others, we need to be careful.

Chances are, he's probably a nice guy and a harmless neophyte just looking for information but can you blame members for a gun shy attitude????

I love newbies. I think they are the necessary foundation for the future viability of this discussion board but I'm looking at <10 post newcomers asking questions about access to the very best of the pieces with a skeptical eye these days myself.

I have never been "elitistic" to people who have some manners. Lazy and arrogant noobs who think that this place is some kind of Wal-Mart just annoy me... and are wasting EVERYBODY'S time. Things aren't so simple here... this is not mainly a rep sales forum... and we're not your f'n messenger boys.

And don't come and tell me where to post here... BOY... mr. wanna-buy-a-Rolex number 75.233.

Maybe, but in the light of recent events on these boards and others, we need to be careful.

I completly agree . As I said, I can understand the reluctance to provide the info, but I just thought that some of the criticisms were kind of harsh. I'll go back to my hole in the wall now.

I have never been "elitistic" to people who have some manners. Lazy and arrogant noobs who think that this place is some kind of Wal-Mart just annoy me... and are wasting EVERYBODY'S time. Things aren't so simple here... this is not mainly a rep sales forum... and we're not your f'n messenger boys.

And don't come and tell me where to post here... BOY... mr. wanna-buy-a-Rolex number 75.233.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! Down Boy!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

:evil2:

I completly agree . As I said, I can understand the reluctance to provide the info, but I just thought that some of the criticisms were kind of harsh. I'll go back to my hole in the wall now.

Oh...dont go...

Hey norton......wooo woooo!!!!