When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this a real Swiss ETA in my Ultimate PO?

finisterre

Interesting observation now that I have seen a few more pictures of uPOs with the caseback off.

I've had the opportunity to compare my (ETA) uPO with a (DG8413) uPO 'lite' side-by-side. What I noticed was that with the ETA version the movement wasn't clamped to the holding ring, but the ring itself was clamped to the case. With the lite version it was the opposite - movement holder was hanging free in the case but the movement was screwed to the holder.

Finisterre's matches this observation. I'm not sure of the significance, but some people have reported movements flopping about in their lite uPOs when they unscrew the crown....

Sure you did. Some of the surplus movements are 100% Swiss.

Exactly.

ETA produces millions of movements every year, year after year, for anyone to think that these genuine movements can't find their way into our watches, is living in a dream world...

Funny how "experts" are always those who have no first hand experience in the topic at hand, namely opening and looking at reps...

RG

Where exactly is the ETA factory in Swiss? Well, it is not there, trust me. Has not been there for some years now, it is in the same place where most Seiko factories are, and IBM factories, etc. Yeah, you got it. So gen ETA might be made in China, but by ETA specs and in ETA factories, good enough for me. How about cases? Who think they are making them on the coast of Geneva lake? Have you ever been to Swizerland? They don't have any production there, likely is that those very expensive PAMs are manufactured not too far away from Andrew's factory somewhere in China, of course, the specs and QC is what matters not the place where it is made. The small issue of "Swiss made" legal requirement can be resolved in a number of ways...perhaps they use a screwdriver made in Zurich to regulate the movement, or leave the watch next to a piece of original Swiss cheese over night, but producing all that in Switzerland, that would be the day...perhaps it was once upon the time...

The small issue of "Swiss made" legal requirement can be resolved in a number of ways...

Not by the methods you mentioned though.

If they don't make mechanical movements in CH, why are they constantly hiring people there? And what do they make in all their production centres?

(info available on http://www.eta.ch/)

I only said that its an en ata from the far east..or made there ..or whatever....

As far as i can tell i have never see problems from many europe made watches with eta..and i only see problemsfrom watches with eta from the far east...and we are talking for problems not for the watch it self,but straight problems from the caliber.

Yes they are ETA...but no way that these movements stand up for the reputation of the ETA factory.

Thats all.Yes they are ETA movements.

Isn't it funny that my supplier, who has been supplying watch parts, movements etc, since 1929, tell me that the sealed pack ETA from SWITZERLAND movements are all GOLD colour, made in Switzerland, the nickel ones are out of the production facilities in Asia.

But because you sell movements on ebay, your the expert on them?? You don't work on or see reps, and your the expert on them as well??

Whatever...

RG

@The Zigmeister

look this nickel 2824-2

and let me know if this is produced in asia. DO you think the 2836-2 produced in swiss and the 2824-2 in asia?

maybe you are right.

he means... gold color movements comes from swiss ETA and nickel color movements from asia ETA?

From what I can tell, he means ETA movements are finished in Switzerland, regardless of their colour. Sure, some of them will be mostly Far-Eastern components, but I believe, and I'm willing to accept I could be wrong here, that the colour of movements has no bearing on origin.

if i understand ziggy

he means... gold color movements comes from swiss ETA and nickel color movements from asia ETA?

:g:

This has been over talked before, im sure it makes no bearing on its origin what ever its colour is. It is just a different colour and a different grade of finish, if manufacture A who wishes to use a 2824 with a closed case back he will opt for a lower grade finish than manufacture B who is using a display back and the movement will be seen. They are all probably made in the same factory with the same tooling but time is spent on the finish of one and not the other. The finish may be added in CH or the moon to make is a swiss ETA.