When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watches and tattooed arms

TeeJay

Okay, so I'm quite an enthusiast of body art, and am wrestling with the idea of having a full Japanese-style body-suit tattooed, which, if I work to my planned design, would include full sleeves to the wrists. I love the design I've come up with, but, am concerned that nice-looking watches might not go so well with tattooed wrists, and I'm wondering if it might be as well to have the sleeves only 3/4 length, so I could still roll my sleeves back a little without exposing any ink. This is a fairly traditional idea, and would also be a better balance with the leg designs, which only ever come to mid thigh (knee at the very lowest)

What do people think? Would 3/4 or full sleeves be better for a watch/tattoo enthusiast like myself?

I think this kind of question needs to be placed in context. It depends on the individual. With the line of work that I want to go into after uni, I couldn't entertain any type of body art. However, if there is no restrictions then go with what you really want. I think personally tatoo's look better away from watches, but I'm not really into that kind of thing. Like you say if you go down to a point where if necessary you could wear a long sleeved shirt to cover it, and roll the sleeves back then that would be an option I would defeinitely consider, but like I said it's really down to the indiviual and the circumstances.

Some folks have issues with tattoos in general, which would overshadow whatever watch you wore, or even if you wore one, for that matter. I have full sleeves and wear my shirt sleeves rolled up (short-sleeved shirts/or none in the summer), for the most part. I think watches look great over tattoos, but then I like tattoos. If you decided to do full sleeves, you could really incorporate changes in the design where your watches strap on in order to accentuate that specific area. That would look great!

Lastly, tattoos are a personal thing, usually a graphical way to reflect past life experiences, so just go with what 'you' want/like.

Will take some photos as soon as I have some spare time.

PS (body-suit tattooed) Tattoos can be painful to have done in certain areas :)

I think this kind of question needs to be placed in context. It depends on the individual. With the line of work that I want to go into after uni, I couldn't entertain any type of body art. However, if there is no restrictions then go with what you really want. I think personally tatoo's look better away from watches, but I'm not really into that kind of thing. Like you say if you go down to a point where if necessary you could wear a long sleeved shirt to cover it, and roll the sleeves back then that would be an option I would defeinitely consider, but like I said it's really down to the indiviual and the circumstances.

This is the thing, work wise, it doesn't matter as I'm self-employed. All I'd need to be sure of, if I ever had to enter a corporate environment, was that the shirt material was thick enough to completely obscure anything underneath. I love the designs I've come up with, but my concern is how they'd look at the wrist, so I'm now thinking a 3/4 sleeve might be best. These are the existing full-sleeve designs...

Left Arm:

248639-8182.jpg

Right Arm:

248639-8183.jpg

I'm now wondering if something like this length might be better...

248639-8184.jpg

This guy goes to the wrist ...

248639-8185.jpg

Ironically, it was Ami's tattoos that were making me think twice about going for the full-sleeves... Took me ages to work out he was wearing a Breitling. Until I saw that pic a while back, I just thought he was wearing some cheap-ass chunky watch :D

I say go for a full sleeve with a tattoo of a watch on the wrist. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I have a half sleeve and am working on the second and my back. I keep all my tatts under a short sleeve shirt. Nothing past the elbow.

My existing main tattoo already extends to the elbow joint, and no short sleeved shirt covers it, and I have a small glyph on the inside of my left wrist, so I've already 'broken the elbow' theory :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Some folks have issues with tattoos in general, which would overshadow whatever watch you wore, or even if you wore one, for that matter. I have full sleeves and wear my shirt sleeves rolled up (short-sleeved shirts/or none in the summer), for the most part. I think watches look great over tattoos, but then I like tattoos. If you decided to do full sleeves, you could really incorporate changes in the design where your watches strap on in order to accentuate that specific area. That would look great!

Lastly, tattoos are a personal thing, usually a graphical way to reflect past life experiences, so just go with what 'you' want/like.

Will take some photos as soon as I have some spare time.

PS (body-suit tattooed) Tattoos can be painful to have done in certain areas :)

Sorry I missed your reply on 'the first pass', and thanks for the experienced opinion :) I'm thinking ribs and inner upper arms will likely be the most painfull areas, but, I know it'd be worth it for a good design. I'm starting to think that maybe 3/4 sleeves might be better, even if it does mean revising the design I have.

Lovely artwork!

In Japan, it is more common to have 3/4 sleeves (if you even have tatoos). And without a doubt, a man's watch is akin to a man's prowess/virility :1a: We take things very seriously, if u catch my drift.

Personally, I like full sleeves. But I would only go 3/4 due to my watch-love.

Hey, this is just my opinion. Who cares what I think. You have to do what you want to do.

Cheers

PS. Going to Ito in the summer at the beach is a real treat. There are lots of young roosters showing their favorite Buddhist Sutras manifested upon their backs - full-size Buddhas. Never in color either, always black ink. And as always - done by the best of the best masters in the world. You can tell, too, from a kilometer away...

My bro:

248667-8170.jpg

Lovely artwork!

In Japan, it is more common to have 3/4 sleeves (if you even have tatoos). And without a doubt, a man's watch is akin to a man's prowess/virility :1a: We take things very seriously, if u catch my drift.

Personally, I like full sleeves. But I would only go 3/4 due to my watch-love.

Hey, this is just my opinion. Who cares what I think. You have to do what you want to do.

Cheers

PS. Going to Ito in the summer at the beach is a real treat. There are lots of young roosters showing their favorite Buddhist Sutras manifested upon their backs - full-size Buddhas. Never in color either, always black ink. And as always - done by the best of the best masters in the world. You can tell, too, from a kilometer away...

My bro:

248683-8168.jpg

Thanks, that's a real compliment that a Japanese person would approve of my designs. If 3/4 sleeves are most common in Japan, then that's what I'll go with. My left sleeve design is no problem, I'll simply have the clouds terminating under the maple leaves, but the right sleeve might require some signifigant revision. I might just entrust that part to my tattoo artist.

Just wanted to say I think the idea is kick ass. I love tattoos and will get one soon (when uni starts), but small first to see what I think of it....but hey, I hear tattoos are like watches, you will eventually want more and more...

Thanks :) tattoos are indeed rather addictive. What started out as a small glyph on the back of my neck, and a design across the back of my shoulders and deltoids, now extends over my shoulders, collar-bones, lower neck, and down as far as my elbow joints. (A design inspired by Blade's tattoos) My overall aim is to have some more tribal work done, and expand my shoulder tattoo down my spine, and then have the Japanese-style tattoos building off from those 'foundations', to create a body-suit that is both contemporary and traditional.

Tattooed arms and rich rock star = Maybe

10000 watch and tattooed arms = most likely rep

Quite simply the demographic that collects fine time pieces and the demographic that gets extensive tattoos do not usually overlap unless you are a wealthy rock star.

I hope that is not offensive because I think people should wear and do as they like but on average I would say that is true.

quote name='fitmic' date='May 18 2007, 07:42 AM' post='248931']

I have both my arms tattooed and still wear watches. :p

Tattooed arms and rich rock star = Maybe

10000 watch and tattooed arms = most likely rep

Quite simply the demographic that collects fine time pieces and the demographic that gets extensive tattoos do not usually overlap unless you are a wealthy rock star.

I hope that is not offensive because I think people should wear and do as they like but on average I would say that is true.

I'd say that's true to an extent... if you're driving around town in a Datsun then definitely rep :lol: I had a guy in a Rollie say "nice watch" and roll his eyes at me one day as we were both leaving the store at the same time... I was wearing my Fiddy along with a pair of baggy shorts and Chuck Taylors lol. Ended up that his Honda Accord was parked next to my 745Li and when I was getting in he said "sorry, I just figured,,, well, you know... I'm sorry. Really is a great watch, wish I could afford one." LMFAO

Tattoos are a very personal thing, so I don't think anyone should tell you what you should or shouldn't have done. Just my opinion. I think a nice watch compliments the wearer, with or without a tattoo. Personally I think a nice watch looks great with a NICE tattoo.

And to be honest, while there are still a few out there with stereotypes about those with tattoos, the tattoo is more acceptable, even in the corporate world. I don't think anyone can judge one who has a tattoo and a nice watch. I think it is silly for one to think that just because one has a tattoo and a nice watch, that he/she can't afford it and it must be fake! Give me a break! And if there is one that has that notion, I dare you to go up to the next biker you see, who is riding a custom $50000.00 bike, full sleeves, and a nice watch. I dare you to ask him if his watch is a genuine! And tattoos and nice watches are not just for rock stars, anyone out there watch sports? How many NBA players, or NFL players are covered with tattoos? How many of them wear nice watches? I dare someone to ask a 295lb linebacker if his blinged out rollie is fake.

I think you should get whatever you want tattooed. I don't think you should worry about a watch. I've gone through phases where I've had gens, even gone two years without even wearing a watch, to reps, to frankens, Your tattoo is going to be around a lot longer than any watch you will ever wear, especially if your watch is a rep.

Tattoos are a very personal thing, so I don't think anyone should tell you what you should or shouldn't have done. Just my opinion. I think a nice watch compliments the wearer, with or without a tattoo. Personally I think a nice watch looks great with a NICE tattoo.

And to be honest, while there are still a few out there with stereotypes about those with tattoos, the tattoo is more acceptable, even in the corporate world. I don't think anyone can judge one who has a tattoo and a nice watch. I think it is silly for one to think that just because one has a tattoo and a nice watch, that he/she can't afford it and it must be fake! Give me a break! And if there is one that has that notion, I dare you to go up to the next biker you see, who is riding a custom $50000.00 bike, full sleeves, and a nice watch. I dare you to ask him if his watch is a genuine! And tattoos and nice watches are not just for rock stars, anyone out there watch sports? How many NBA players, or NFL players are covered with tattoos? How many of them wear nice watches? I dare someone to ask a 295lb linebacker if his blinged out rollie is fake.

I think you should get whatever you want tattooed. I don't think you should worry about a watch. I've gone through phases where I've had gens, even gone two years without even wearing a watch, to reps, to frankens, Your tattoo is going to be around a lot longer than any watch you will ever wear, especially if your watch is a rep.

Thanks, that's a really good perspective. From what Eunomians said about 3/4 sleeves being most common in Japan, I've decided that that's what I'll have done, because my idea was for the Japanese aspects of the suit to be as traditional/Japanese as possible. That's an awesome sleeve in your picture, is it a full suit, or just a single sleeve and chest-piece?

Thanks, that's a really good perspective. From what Eunomians said about 3/4 sleeves being most common in Japan, I've decided that that's what I'll have done, because my idea was for the Japanese aspects of the suit to be as traditional/Japanese as possible. That's an awesome sleeve in your picture, is it a full suit, or just a single sleeve and chest-piece?

That picture is one I used for reference for one of my tattoos. It is called Uzushio, or eddying current.

That piece is part of a full suit that was done in the traditional method. All by hand by master Horiyoshi-III.

Here is another work of art from the master. quite stunning work.

249152-8033.jpg

Edited by stilty

That's absolutely fantastic work. Master Hiroshi is indeed one of my 'tattoo heros'. I don't think I'll ever be able to have a tattoo done in the traditional manner, so was contenting myself with getting those aspects of the design as traditional as possible.

Personally I don't think arms and tattoos go together....never mind arms tattoos and watches......but that's JMHO......I read an article in Scientific American many years ago.....with the results of a poll .....in which they claimed the highest incidences of tattoos were to be found amongst the criminal classes.....the lower armed forces ranks......educationally sub normal......tribal communities..and of course the chattering classes.......I don't fall into any of those groups.....so no tattoos for me.....I don't need primal body art to speak for me or my character......I'll rely on what my maker whoever they be gave me......and of course a nice Patek......:D

As an aside...I worked in management in direct sales..( think IBM blue suit and red tie ).........and ran several companies before retiring......if someone came for a job.....I wouldn't hire him if he had 'visible' tattoos...my experience always lead me to the same conclusion....and I was never proven wrong.....of course much has changed....and now it's much more widely accepted.......my sentiments remain however......I see them every hour of every day here in Pattaya....the place is hoaching with tattoo parlours....full of young bucks determined to look 'hard'.....and old codgers determined to look "young and hard".....again......nothing funnier than seeing some 48 year old....who's suddenly found himself on the verge of a 'new life'......walking about with a fresh tattoo up and around his leg........and his nipples pierced.......LMAO....!

Edited by TTK

NBA players, NFL payers are into watches mostly as a sign of wealth and the whole bling thing.

Any NBA or NFL player could wear the worst fake and i would think it is real. They like to waste money on anything that makes them look rich.

Most "bikers" spend most of there income on a bike which is cool. People should spend money on what they want to.

And get tattoos if they want to.

I do not see many people yachting with sleeve tattoos or enjoying a day at the polo matches. Never seen any visible tattoos on fifth ave. here in NYC at the watch stores.

It is just an unlikely pair.

I would except some tattooed guy to walk up to me while I wearing my IWC and say "cute watch sissy boy, get the *** out of my way!" not "hey is that the power reserve?, beautiful!!"

Geniune high end time pieces are kind of a snooty little hobby and tattoos are on the opposite end of the spectrum.

So yea if I saw someone with a sleeve of tattoos and a tank top on drinking mountain dew wearing a PAM........REP!! (someone posted that exact photo here years back....i saved it!!)

NBA players, NFL payers are into watches mostly as a sign of wealth and the whole bling thing.

Any NBA or NFL player could wear the worst fake and i would think it is real. They like to waste money on anything that makes them look rich.

Most "bikers" spend most of there income on a bike which is cool. People should spend money on what they want to.

And get tattoos if they want to.

I do not see many people yachting with sleeve tattoos or enjoying a day at the polo matches. Never seen any visible tattoos on fifth ave. here in NYC at the watch stores.

It is just an unlikely pair.

I would except some tattooed guy to walk up to me while I wearing my IWC and say "cute watch sissy boy, get the *** out of my way!" not "hey is that the power reserve?, beautiful!!"

Geniune high end time pieces are kind of a snooty little hobby and tattoos are on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Do you know how much money a full Japanese sleeve (let alone a full body suit) would actually cost? A good sleeve alone would easily cost as much, if not more, than a gen Omega...