When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

how do you keep the bottom of the bracelet from getting all scuffed up?

cableguy

i work in an office, and after using the computer all day the bottom of the watch bracelet, normally by the clasp gets all scuffed up......how do you guys deal with this? or does it not happen to others? or does it not bother you?

I wish I had an answer how to avoid it - but it happened to all my bracelet watches sooner or later - this is why I have become a huge fan of straps B)

does this happen on gen's as well? i mean it happens on a beater fossil watch i wear so i assume so?

any way to correct it?

happens to gens too - get Cape Code for polished clasps and one of those fiberglass bristles pens for brushed clasps and polish/re brush once and a while

It doesn't bother me, a watch is supposed to be worn and a few scratches and dings never hurt anybody.

And it adds character...

As a side note, my tough as nails Sinn U1's clasp is scratched. Unfortunately, they didn't make it of the same material as the case and bezel, which haven't received any scratches whatsoever :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I know this may sound impossible, but I have learned to

protect my watches through force of habit, born from concerted

concentration.

I never type with my watch on for one,

and two, never rest my arm on my watch, but on my palm,

unless I have a soft surface,...and three, whenever I reach into

cabinets or drawers, I do so carefully,.. recalling the two bezel

pearls I have lost over the years... and crystal scratches I have

had to labor hours over to polish out.

A few days of concentration creates habit....

I think there are many great suggestions here, including the re-brushing and even that PDA screen protector (very clever stuff) but Richard Tracy has got the best idea of em all...

Avoid scratches period...

A bit of practice and BAM! no need to worry about the clasp..but if you should ever get one, you have several options to fix the damage

The ONLY answer and the simplest....!

1. Ask your wife or girlfriend to pick you up a 3 surface nail buffing board.......one side is 1/2 white...and 1/2 pink..( sometimes blue )......the other side is grey.....they're soft and flexible...!

Use the Pink or Blue surface to remove all scratches.......then use the White surface to fine finish the clasp......turn the board over and use the grey to polish to a shine......it's exactly the same as your fingernails.....they look dull.....use one of these boards.....and your nails will look as tho' theyre polished......so will your bracelet......works every time.....all the time....for 1.99....!

PLEASE NOTE THESE ARE NOT EMERY BOARDS....EMERY BOARDS ARE TOO ROUGH.

SAME AS THIS......!

Buffer board

I know this may sound impossible, but I have learned to

protect my watches through force of habit, born from concerted

concentration.

I never type with my watch on for one,

and two, never rest my arm on my watch, but on my palm,

unless I have a soft surface,...and three, whenever I reach into

cabinets or drawers, I do so carefully,.. recalling the two bezel

pearls I have lost over the years... and crystal scratches I have

had to labor hours over to polish out.

A few days of concentration creates habit....

RT, I have the same methods (of madenss). Call it 1 part OCD and 1 part Rabid WIS Fever :crazy:

I even find myself turning in my wrist when walking around corners in the morning when I'm not even wearing a watch yet.

I do believe though that some minor clasp scuffs are part of the territory when it comes to vintage bracelets. I do polish them from time to time, to get 'em back to new again.

***A word of caution in regards to the satin brushing pen: Wear gloves and eye protection and clean up your workspace upon completion. The little clear bristles break into essentially invisible little chards. They are made out of fiberglass and can embed deep into your fingers.

i work in an office, and after using the computer all day the bottom of the watch bracelet, normally by the clasp gets all scuffed up......how do you guys deal with this? or does it not happen to others? or does it not bother you?

If I'm wearing a watch with an SS Bracelet while using the computer (or drawing) I take it off and put it on the desk. That said, I don't work in an office, and don't know how trustworthy your co-workers are. A leather bracelet might be a safer option :)