When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tube removal

vintagerolex

Vintage,

Try a 5/64 screw extractor from any hardware store, a few bucks. That's what I used on my MBW's. Genuines use a torx type of tool that Caskers sells for ~$40.

I've read that some guys have used a rat tail file with success.

Good luck!

Does anyone know where I can get (inexpensive) tools to remoe a polex crown tube, also do the reps use the same tool as the genuine watches?

Thx.

Vintage,

Try a 5/64 screw extractor from any hardware store, a few bucks. That's what I used on my MBW's. Genuines use a torx type of tool that Caskers sells for ~$40.

I've read that some guys have used a rat tail file with success.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, would using the screw extractor damage the tube?

Thanks for the reply, would using the screw extractor damage the tube?

Just give it a tap and turn the extractor slowly counter clockwise, just be gentle. I have used the screw extractor and the rat tail file and they work. The part of the tube that goes into the case are sometimes,,like paper thin, so do not be surprise if it break.

What about a propor tool sold on eBAy for about 35 USD?

Very interesting. Would you mind to share with us where it can be found? Thanks!

I'm with Tribal on this one, the A&F tool isn't really worth it. I have been able to jam it into a rep case tube and from time to time I can twist the tube out. Other times I end up using the rat tail file. But you're not going to be able to use the A&F tool for installing a new style Rolex case tube. I tried torx screwdrivers and couldn't get one of those to work, so today I ordered the case tube tool from Jules Borel- Part# STK-1060 (6mm) for $35 plus s&h today. Look under Horological and then Specialized tools for Rolex.

It's also a good idea to get the tap so that you can clean up the threads before you try to install the new case tube.

Interestingly, I've never run across a rep case tube which had grooves on the inside for removing it from the case- Lord knows how they put them in. The one I pulled last nite looked like it had some kinda glue on the threads.

OK so I guess the rep tube is a write off once it is removed from the case, thanks for the help. Best of luck with you new tool.

I cut a groove in the end of my rep tube and used a screwdriver. Yes, it makes the tube unusable, but I broke a file trying to remove it and thought it deserved it. :D

I have actually taken a rep tube out w/ the A&F tool and the rat tail file, and then put loctite on the threads and reinstalled it. Of course, you take the inside o-ring out first and then put it back in after you've reinstalled the tube. This was on a sub rep that I was waterproofing, but wasn't going to change out the crown and tube to gen.

But yes, anytime you take out a rep tube, you run the risk of messing it up!

I have a similar question about gen Twinlock casetubes. These do not have the splines around the inside of the tube that interlock with the Rolex casetube tool like the Triplock tubes. I can remove the rep tube with a file, but what do people usually use to reinstall the new gen tube?

Of course, you can reinstall with the same end of the file, but I really hate to scrape up the inside of a new gen tube if I can avoid it.

Vintage 6mm Twinlocks (crown - 24-600, tube - 24-6020).

Update -- I just figured it out. I have a mixture of 6mm Twinlock tubes that came from different sources and I forgot that Rolex made two versions - an older version (with splines around the inside of the narrow part of the tube) and a newer/current version (with splines around the inside of the wider part of the tube). I only have the Rolex tool for the newer version of 7mm Triplock and Twinlock tube, which is why I was confused when the tool would not fit into some of the 6mm Twinlock tubes (the older version requires a different tool with a narrower tip). Dumb me.

• 1 month later...