When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Perfect Sub Water Resistence

mucrewbtp

I just thought I would let all the skeptics know, that when properly cared for, these watches are water proof. Today I went scuba diving with my perfect sub from Joshua. Before diving I made sure all of the seals were well greased and that everything was tight. Long story short, the watch held up to over 65 feet for a total bottom time of almost an hour. I would trust this watch for anything within recreational diving limits. For all those that would like to use a sub for their regular diver, go for it. As long as you take care of it, it should take care of you.

-Mike

Congratulations! It's always nice to have a rep that survives the water test. I have a 5513 w/ the Explorer dial that has tested to 4ATM's and done well wade fishing, jet skiing and swimming.

However, a few weeks ago I had my WM 1680 and a CN 16610 tested. It looked like everything was OK, but water showed up on the crystals after awhile so it was back to the house to take the casebacks off and get the hair dryer out. Going to have to work on those two some more.

For serious scuba diving I still use my William Marshall Sub or my Zodiac Red Point Sub. They've each passed the 30M test w/o a hitch.

that is great news ... i personally i have been diving with my rep 5517 as well as well with my gen datejust ... honestly ... if the gaskets are in the right places and there are no leaks their good to go! people often underestimate the rolex oyster -you should have seen the looks when i was sporting my datejust ... then again that was gen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I can understand the silicone gasket seal, but don't lubes like vasoline have the potential to break down the gaskets due to them being petroleum based? Or I am just thinking of castles in the clouds here?

I think that is a reasonable concern. Having done some regulator overhauls myself. I use silicone picked up at any scuba store for rubber gaskets.

Good to hear your watch held up to 2 atm's :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Where did you find 65' in OH ? :whistling:

I have an aBay sub from Paul about three years old which was properly lubed with gen tube and crown that withstood 140fsw. My presure testing method consists of a sealed case (without movement) placed in my BC pocket, a Jersey roll off the boat and 25 minutes on the Stolt :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Am I right in thinking that to ensure my rep is water restistant that all I need to do is check the the back is screwed down tight and that the back and crown o-rings are well lubed? (Assuming that the seal around the crystal is good).

Getting at the back o-ring is obviously not difficult but how do I lubricate the o-ring(s) for the crown?

Pull the crown out to winding position with the case-back open, press the release button with a 1.2 mm screwdriver (NOT smaller), & remove the crown/stem from the movement. Lube the rings on the inside & outside of the crown tube, and the one inside the crown itself, where the stem attaches. Grease the case-back gasket & secure all firmly back in place. Good to go.