When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can people recognise a rep?

BilboBaggins

Hi everyone, just like to say this community is damm good and i hope to become part of it in time. In the process of researching watches for my 21st Birthday, i came across the huge replica industry. Altho i will be getting a gen watch for my birthday (hopefully a Breitling Colt GMT with Blue dial), i have become obsessed with getting some replica watches! I would be possibly looking to start with an Omega, possibly the Planet Ocean or the Seamaster Pro Blue "Bond's". My biggest concern is that people will be able to tell they are replicas, and also i feel that having a rolex at my age would be obviously fake.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Sorry about the long post!

Jon

All replicas have flaws which can be spotted.. BUT you most remember to spot it people must be "in the know", generally you will find even owners of the originals will not be able to spot a decent fake as they have no reason to know about the flaws..

But you'll find avid genuine collectors, watch smiths (who see a lot of genuines) and other replica collectors will spot a fake no matter how good it is.

hi,

as you said, the most important thing in my eyes is not wearing a full gold daytona as a student... it screams fake.

i don't think anyone recognises a decent fake on your wrist, and if you don't wear a *bling bling* breitling or rolex, chances are no one noone even knows or cares about the brand... choosing a stealthy brand/watch is a good idea if you fear getting called out.

on the other side, if you're about get a gen breitling, wear her, so no problems at all. that'S what she's for.

maybe you could get a decent dress watch rep, like a franck muller, which NO ONE, i swear, that doesn't know about reps would recognise. and that only if he has a close look.

about the omegas: why not, i think the latest PO is a good choice. again, it's a bit redundant to the colt, maybe better get a dress or semi dress watch. but thats my way of thinking

Edited by Hok

Wow at 21 years old ...you will get breitling ...how lucky you are.....wear them in good health...for the fake thing ..go get the PO..they look really good ...and it should be ok with you at your age dude...so dont worry.....only really the genuine real collector will know it ..otherwise...NAHHHHH ..go for it and enjoy ...

cheers

Thanks mossanti. My family is joining together to get the Breitling, so it will always be special for me.

I really like the look of the 4th generation PO from Andrew...but it seems he sells them as soon as his shipments come in! But anyway, i cant wait to start my collection...could be a slippery slope! :rolleyes:

The only watch that has been spotted is my TW best Submariner. It surprised me that what gave it away( to a friend watch collector) was not the usual details we often discuss mainly, pearl, side case holes, cyclops allignment , crown guards and the likes. The bezel assembly on these watches is a tad too small which throws the entire watch off balance, which was almost immediately recognizeable to my buddy.

The Pams, not a chance. I know of one person that has a gen and knows what a Pam is. He had a hard enough time with my 029 which has zero mods other than an OEM rubber strap and quality 316L screws. :) He was darn impressed specially after we discussed the movment inside the beast.

The vintage MBW Sea-Dwellers simply get compliments. I've been asked on occasion where these can be purchased. :lol: These guys are rare, unsual and look terrific as they arrive, IMO.

Jet

Edited by Jetsons

Out of the two reps I have purchased this year (1680 non red submariner fron lucky and an Omega PO.

The sub, well NO ONE can tell it is a rep, I have no problems wearing into any store because it gets nothing but compliments. The PO however looks very nice, but is just OFF some how from the gen, the color is just slightly wron or size, or placement of this or that , I can't tell but it looks off (though it looks nice). I think poeple can tell it is fake and KNOW watch store people can tell by the smirks on their faces.

Looking at the reviews of the latest PO (ie Andrews 4th gen)...it seems people are raving about it, so i guess they have it looking pretty good now. That would kill me if i thought people were laughing about my watch :thumbdown: I guess whenever i go into a jewellers im gonna have to wear my gen watch!

All replicas have flaws which can be spotted.. BUT you most remember to spot it people must be "in the know", generally you will find even owners of the originals will not be able to spot a decent fake as they have no reason to know about the flaws..

But you'll find avid genuine collectors, watch smiths (who see a lot of genuines) and other replica collectors will spot a fake no matter how good it is.

Or people like a friend of mine who thinks a genuine Omega is fake, and wouldn't pay more than USD30 for a genuine or replica Panerai... He never wears a watch :whistling:

Edited by Chronus

I too had a gen colt breitling at the age of 16 (Automatic II, was bought for 450 euros my by uncle, great deal back then) :o , I got it from my uncle but it was too much obviously. He wouldnt take it back so I sold it at the time to fund a savings account (he allowed me to, actually encouraged me to do so!!)

Bling bling is definately not the way to go in your case. Personally I dont care. Fake or no fake, doesnt matter. Im 18 and Id rather walk around with a beautie than have the fear of being called out.

To each his own however!!

All the best,

Floris

I too had a gen colt breitling at the age of 16 (Automatic II, was bought for 450 euros my by uncle, great deal back then) :o , I got it from my uncle but it was too much obviously. He wouldnt take it back so I sold it at the time to fund a savings account (he allowed me to, actually encouraged me to do so!!)

Bling bling is definately not the way to go in your case. Personally I dont care. Fake or no fake, doesnt matter. Im 18 and Id rather walk around with a beautie than have the fear of being called out.

To each his own however!!

All the best,

Floris

Thanks Floris,

You are right...i guess its a case of walking around with confidence,knowing that your watch is nice. Im also not really the type of person who likes bling...wouldnt feel at home with a monster on my small wrists!

Jon

A 'friend' of mine at school has a gen Sub at school...oiling industry. At my school, you can pass of anything. I've only had Asian reps so far (thats why I say ANYTHING :p ), I was gonna test out my LV on him but then it got stolen, but in the future, Ill show him!! :)

Anyway, enjoy the watches, and those guys that give you crap about "its fake" or "is it real?", just ignore them.

I had on my submariner (asian, canal rep) and went to a girl at school a while back saying "I have a Rolex, wanna go out sometime?", it was a dare from a guy in my grade. I went to the movies with her, she said it was pretty original pick up line, I told her it was fake though (hey, I could only afford the movies!!), haha.....am I arrogant...maybe....but had one hell of a laugh out of it... :p

Everyone has their stories around reps that gen holders wont usually have. Most people compliment anyway on a rep!

P.S. Yes, the girl thing really happened, haha, still laugh about it cant believe the balls I had to do it. She was a nice girl though, and cool about it. But that rep.... That Canal street rep with a magnification of like 1 (haha) and a pearl that stuck out like a gumball.

Life is good indeed!

Edited by Dutchy

I had on my submariner (asian, canal rep) and went to a girl at school a while back saying "I have a Rolex, wanna go out sometime?", it was a dare from a guy in my grade. I went to the movies with her, she said it was pretty original pick up line, I told her it was fake though (hey, I could only afford the movies!!), haha.....am I arrogant...maybe....but had one hell of a laugh out of it... :p

mahahah you made my day :lol:

have to say i'd NEVER wear a rolex in my life, but this story could make my buy some 20 dollar POS.

still can't stop laughing

Edited by Hok

mahahah you made my day :lol:

See what I mean!! These stories are unique, each and every one of them. They just dont happen to most gen holders, as the whole thing is "is it real?"..."yes".....end of story!

Floris

P.S. Maybe you get my drift now about why I like Rolex :) Though it does show you have cash, and when you dont....you're in trouble....thats a good time to put out the fact that its a fake.

Edited by Dutchy

lol..."its at home"...always a classic!

My plan is to stun everyone with the gen Breitling, so then i can get away with wearing some reps with no questions asked!

I feel im too young for gens, along with them being WAY out of line financially speaking to me as a student.

Anyway. Enjoy.

F

I feel im too young for gens, along with them being WAY out of line financially speaking to me as a student.

Anyway. Enjoy.

F

Im only having one as a 21st birthday present (only 1 week to go!!)...as its a family gift i will hopefully have it for many years to come. I totally concur with the student sentiment...cant wait to get out there and earn a living...and then spend it all on reps!

Jon