When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Being watchless

trinsic

Ok guys so some of you might have known that I recently(or for the past 2 months) have been selling away almost all my reps. From my MBW Royal Oaks(incl Offshore) to vintage sub & sd. Also sold off all my pannies including the Radiomir that she has proclaimed to be a wonderful watch(I'm such a lucky guy!). Sold off my gens including the Sinn U1. So I'm now officially watchless. I think previously when I was at the stage of beyond help, I would wear a watch to just about anywhere. Even at home, you'd see me wearing a watch. What happened to me in this 2 months was really unexpected. It's like a guy who had lost his mojo. I feel i've lost it. Even a much awaited Cousteau didn't tempt me! As I'm typing this, I see my wrist. It's empty of course, for now. I don't know when would I be back with a vengence but to my friends who have dealed with me before, I would like to thank you and it's been nice dealing with you. As of yesterday, Ubi was the last person who received a watch from me. Wear it in the best of health bro. Your first purchase for the year and probably my last deal for this year.

I'll be lurking on the boards for now. I will still be reachable by PM. Mickey Padge...I have not forgotten about your screw. :p

Regards

Pat

P.S. Can anyone hook me up with a kick-ass PAM183G Radiomir Black Seal? *grin* I'm joking.. :p

wow....it must be a sad day when something you really enjoyed no longer has any appeal. :o

deltatahoe

It could just be a phase. Maybe some higher priority stuff take precedence as of now. :) Perhaps I'll regain my mojo in the coming weeks or months(gasp!)...

Oh Radiomir, Oh Radiomir...where art thou?

Something must have happened to make you change your feeling about watches so dramatically. Whatever it was cannot be good, so my best wishes to you and hope that you may pick up the hobby again at a later date.

Good luck :wounded1:

Must be really strange not wearing a watch though. :mellow:

It used to feel strange previously and I would feel something was missing. Uncomfortable would be the word. But now, it feels just normal to be not wearing a watch. Perhaps it's the new lady in my life that could be a probable cause although I hardly think that a PAM lover like herself could be the cause. Hmmm...are there any good docs that diagnose these bizarre cases? :p

This is really strange not to keep at least one watch to hold you over this period. I have about 20 watches I am going to be getting rid of in the future but will keep my core beauties. But, best of luck in the future for you and yours. :D

Usil

docs that diagnose these bizarre cases? :p

Quite a difficult task given the lack of info about other areas of your life, surely you know the diagnosis much better than anyone else. :)

I'll try to make a hypothesis on the only two data that you gave us (out with the watches, and in with a new lady).

Loosing interest in everything is a sure sign of depression, but engaging in a new love absolutely contradicts it (as well as, to a lesser extent, keeping posting on the forum).

I would guess that you are making several other important changes in your life, sort of a restart, and the former watch addiction was just a compensatory process that you don't need anymore now.

Even more, now you might feel it related with your previous and unsatisfactory state, so getting rid of all your watches becomes sort of a symbol of getting rid of all the past way you were. This would explain why you did not even keep one single piece.

In this case, this is the only and true way to get rid of an addiction, and the best part is that it is only a side effect of a much wider life improvement.

In this case again, there's a chance you will get back to watch loving but on different reasons.

In any case, congrats and my best wishes on your new life! :thumbsupsmileyanim:251553-7406.jpg

P.S.: I would leave freudian colleagues to speculate about what a free wrist could be a symbol of... :lol:

Snap out of it man!!!! What the hell? At least go to the mall and buy some kind of $30 jobbie to keep on your wrist. I could not imagine not having at least one watch. I have worn a watch every day since I got my first Mickey Mouse at 7 years old. This is unbelieveable. :Jumpy:

I myself had been somewhat burned out on watches in general as well. Almost to the point of selling some of my pieces off, but my wife wouldn't let me :) She knows the level of effort that I've made in building up my small collection, and she knows that a lot of the pieces I own are hard to find and build. So... I decided to focus my attention on an old hobby instead (the one that I more or less abandoned for watches a few years back), and I've found myself thinking about watches less, which in turn has actually allowed me to enjoy them again.

I've always had an interest in watches, but for the past few years I've been involved so deeply that I couldn't see the forest from the trees. So, taking a step back has allowed me to look at this hobby in a different, and perhaps a fresh perspective.

Sometimes, all you need is a little break....

:)

I agree. Passions in collections are cyclical. I'm warming up to spend over $200 having Ziggy modify my $150 Submariner rep with some genuine upgrades, something I argued strongly against 6 months ago. Give it a break and you'll get your appetites back. I remember what Robert Deniro said about gaining the 60 lbs he needed to put on to play Jake Lamotta late in life. "The first two weeks were fun. After that...it was a job".

I have loved watches since I was a kid, and my Grandfather gave me his gold railroad pocket watch to hold.

Used to give watches to my girlfriends as a teen, verses rings,.. saying 'our heartbeats are now in sync'..

Though I have sold off every one of my watches from time to time, saving only one,.. my love for them

has remained like a coal that only needed a breeze,.. and now I am at a point where I only need about five

pieces to make me happy but I still love watches in general, love speaking about them, thinking about them

seeing and holding them...and will always...

Don't think that any real watch lover will ever lose that feeling,.. so if you are a genuine time freak like

some of the rest of us,... then something else is wrong in your life and you are trying to hurt yourself

by depriving yourself of something you love... if not, then all infatuations will fade in time..

Whatever it is,.. please discover it and keep us posted,..as if nothing else, you have friends here..

I don't ever plan to get rid of my reps... they stay with me for life. The thing about me is that I don't impulse-buy; all of my purchases are careful and completed after serious deliberation - yes, even on $98 reps. I am yet to buy a timepiece that dissapoints me, and right now I have many many...

It's almost unthinkable how someone can sell their entire collection and not keep even one...

uhmmm...

there are times watches are not interesting :)

I'm in an identical boat, being watchLESS is not what I'm thinking but I'm bored of my style... the watches I previously loved now look boring to me, I don't plan to sell anything though, but I'll get a few more watches and give a big break in the hobby...

Sometimes too much is too much and then you need a break.

For years I used a Kenneth Cole quartz pocket watch like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/KENNETH-COLE-of-New-Yo...1QQcmdZViewItem

I didn't like anything on my wrist since I'm a bass player and was always worried about developing tendinitis. After receiving my father's 1603 last year after he passed away, I got into watches discovered timezone and then found this site. I haven't worn the pocket watch in a while, and now own 3 reps (PO 42mm, modern Rxlex SD, gold VC dress watch) and 2 gens (Rolex 1603 and Ollech & Wajs Mirage III).

I don't want too many reps or watches in general. Too much is too much. You get confused and start having too many conflicting feelings about the stuff, "I need to wear each one to justify". You don't spend enough time with each one to truly appreciate them, etc. It's like instruments, some guys have tons of bass guitars and never really appreciate them fully, or can't decide which one to use on a gig. They take one on a gig and regret not bringing the other one. It's silly stuff, but it can start to mess with your mind. As far as basses go, over the last 16 years I've slowly acquired 6 great instruments that each fill a role for me; some bought new, some vintage, some just practical. I'd like to do the same with watches. For me, it's a healthy way to go.

Anyone else a bass player?

...What happened to me in this 2 months was really unexpected. It's like a guy who had lost his mojo. I feel i've lost it.

...dont worry my little friend :p i lived the same as you but concerning s e x lol

You may need some rest and "switch perspective" ;)

P.S. maybe a JLC reverso duetto classic would switch just fine with u

George

• 11 months later...