When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Should i pay US $2,398.87 ? advise needed

kegra

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...me=STRK:MEWN:IT

25473-1034.jpg

i am using not my regular account on ebay so i will not spoil my 100% fedback the account i am using is a second one for bidding on suspicious (items or sellers).

Should i negotiate with the seller about payment ?

I think to use an escrow service but if he sends a rep and then i ship back the item to the seler the seller might claim that i send him a rep back.

How can i be covered that the seller will not try to say that he shiped another item than the one i will send him back

This is the worst case senario i think.

The best is to give 2.400$ and get the gen but i know this is not going to happen.

What you think ?

John

It's very risky and just asking for trouble, ask him if you can come pick it up in person (even if you don't intend too) and also you'd like to have it authenticated at an AD of his choosing - also ask for clear photos of the documents since he is a new seller. It is pretty much the only way I would do it - forget about pp / escorw and so forth tis just too risky until then for such a big amount on such a new ebayer.

The picture is of a gen. If you are going to go through with this from afar have him provide you with a picture of the serial number. You can check on the forum for the standard rep serial numbers. Then, if it still exists, you choose a delivery service which requires COD (cash on delivery). They typically charge a modest premiun and you should offer to pay it. In any case, it protects both of you. If it is the real deal you will get the proper serial numbered watch so that you can be comfortable irrespective of your expertise in identifying reps. If not, keep you're money. That is how I dealt with a similar situation a number of years ago. :)

Narikaa makes a very good point. In any case, if you move forward have him provide a signed letter attesting to its authenticity specifically mentioning the serial number as well as a xerox copy of his driver's license or passport if foreigner in advance of payment. You can do this via PDF for quick turnaround. If he is a scammer it may make him think twice.

Errr.. wasnt the time to play 'what if' over this deal BEFORE you placed a bid?

I will explain my strategy, the seller has no feedback so can be a scammer very easily, So i thought to bid win this item and after that to see what happen, i have absolutely no problem to get a negative feedback in this account, I am prepeared to pay the money if i reiceive a genuine article. So i have considered the whatt if and i decided to win it but if something goes wrong not pay it. If he is a honest seller he will get his money and a glorious feedback. So i am a honest buyer i have the money, Iam willing to pay , but he must give me some kind of gurantee that i will receive the genuine article. We are talking about a Genuine watch (photos & Description) so the transaction is legit and i can request for any assurance as long as i can cover the cost of this assurance. We are not talking about 300 bucks for a rep.

John

Errr.. wasnt the time to play 'what if' over this deal BEFORE you placed a bid?

I will explain my strategy, the seller has no feedback so can be a scammer very easily, So i thought to bid win this item and after that to see what happen, i have absolutely no problem to get a negative feedback in this account, I am prepeared to pay the money if i reiceive a genuine article. So i have considered the whatt if and i decided to win it but if something goes wrong not pay it. If he is a honest seller he will get his money and a glorious feedback. So i am a honest buyer i have the money, Iam willing to pay , but he must give me some kind of gurantee that i will receive the genuine article. We are talking about a Genuine watch (photos & Description) so the transaction is legit and i can request for any assurance as long as i can cover the cost of this assurance. We are not talking about 300 bucks for a rep.

John

It looks like the description and pictures are done by different people. The pictures seem to have been done by someone who knows about the watch and shows the features to emphasise , the brief description doesn't tell me anything about the watch. Surely for that amount of money you would say more than what the seller has managed.

I would ask for picture of the papers/receipt and the watch on a recent magazine/newspaper.

I don't know if it works in UK, but I used to do this for suspicious seller.

I would ask the seller to take a picture of the authenticity card, the caseback with serial number, with a piece of paper showing his id.

It proves that he indeed has the watch.

If everything is fine, I would pay by pp with American Express. I would request a next day delivery. If I receive a replica, I would file chargeback with American Express immediately.

The worst case is that pp will close your account as you violated their T&C. But You will get your money back from Amex.

Btw, I wouldn't buy the watch if I can't go to pick it up. It's too much risk involved. You are just asking for trouble to save some money.

Not worth it imo. From the pictures, you can see that the seller knows about watch. He features the luminous effect, and the regulator.

The funny thing is that he doesn't have any descriptions. I would suspect the pictures are stolen from somewhere else.

my 2 cents.

Edited by cwai02

The funny thing is that he doesn't have any descriptions. I would suspect the pictures are stolen from somewhere else.

my 2 cents.

Yes i believe the same too, I believe that iam an experienced buyer and seller in ebay so i used my normal userid to bid for the item and another one as i explained in order to win so the kegraone id listed among the bidders is my normal id but not the winning i did that in order to find out if the seller is trying to catch some of the bidders that have been outbid by ilegit second chance offers or second chance offer via ebay.

And before 2 hours i got an email, to my normal account the one that has been outbid a mail from another seller with strong feedback saying that the item belongs to him and to contact him for futher details. I have received no email from the "real" seller to the account i used to win this item...

:blink:

Emal quote --- this sent via the ebay messaging system from member endofthetrail79d7( 125)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY, JUST FORWARD THIS TO : sameoldme909@cs.com

Hello kegraone,

Regarding my auction :

Officine Panerai Radiomir Black Seal (Pam 183)

Item number: 8924434954

I'm willing to speed the sale process, so please contact me A.S.A.P. via e-mail at : sameoldme909@cs.com and I'll provide you with further details about this.

Thank you

IN ORDER TO COMPLETE THIS DEAL OR FOR ANY OTHER DETAILS, CONTACT THE SELLER DIRECTLY BY E-MAIL: sameoldme909@cs.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------

i replied to both: the email and the seller from the ebay system

so we might have the same person or even 3 persons involved..

The original seller he listed the pam on ebay lmarkleyy (0)

The guy that contacted me via endofthetrail79d7( 125)

and the real endofthetrail79d7( 125)

and all this not to the winning bidder :Jumpy::Jumpy::Jumpy::Jumpy::Jumpy:

A Scammer trying to take advantage another scammers auction he leaves the winning bidder to the initial scammer and tries to get some money from the rest ones!!!

I like this

John

John

have him write his ebay name and the time+date on a piece of paper (hand written) and the watch with caseback on top laying right next to it. then you know that he at least has a genuine article on his hand! if it takes him more than a day, dont take the watch, because he could lend a gen from someone! tell him that.

hope that helps

have him write his ebay name and the time+date on a piece of paper (hand written) and the watch with caseback on top laying right next to it. then you know that he at least has a genuine article on his hand! if it takes him more than a day, dont take the watch, because he could lend a gen from someone! tell him that.

And if he says he's rubbish at photography or that his camera is not up to it, send him my articles. :D

You can't be serious????

I suppose if you are..... call a local AD where this guy lives and make arrangements for them to appraise/validate it for you. Once confirmed pay up and have the AD (that you contacted not him) ship it to you.

Though IMO, you're wasting your time. This has scam written all over it.

Scamtastic.

Probably a hacked eBay account. They post pictures of a genuine watch, someone wins the auction, pays and receives nothing. In fact, they may not even contact the winner at all because that person is likely to make payment via pp which is tracable.

In the meantime, they contact anyone else who bid on the auction offering them a deal and asking them to do a cash transfer outside of pp etc. These bidders also receive no watch.

Multiple scams all rolled into one.

K.

I can't believe that you paid $2,400 for a watch from a guy with 0 feedback, that's the first no-no

Besides that, $2400 for a genuine 183??!! Someone's gonna take a huge bath and for some strange reason, I don't think it's going to be THE ZERO FEEDBACK SELLER :bangin::bangin::bangin:

If the price is too good to be true, it most probably is a fake or a scam. I always go by that rule. Then again, there was a time where I almost broke that 'rule' when I saw someone trying to see his 194 on ebay for US$5,000 'Buy It Now' which he has bought last Dec. Basically 95% and greater in condition. The sale was restricted by the seller only in Australia. I contemplated for quite a while since it was a bloody good deal. Did I make the purchase? Well, read on. :)

The way I see it is the current selling price for 194 is within USD$7,200 to USD$8,500 for similar condition and why doesn't the person try to hit that price? Doesn't make sense. For that price, it would be snagged up on Paneristi/ VP/ TZ forum but I reckon he has no references (One positive feedback on ebay which he purchased an Oakley glasses and that is it) Despite my numerous conversations with him, I was still very much doubtful but still want to proceed with it as it was basically a steal for that price. I almost wanted to fly to Sydney to see it for myself. But then again, with that money on hand, who knows what might happen? (Think getting robbed. Havent been to Sydney, dont know place well) Anyways, to make the story short, I did not make the purchase and I am glad with that decision.

Come to think of it, I would very much save for a little while longer and paid a little more to secure that kind of reassurance that my watch is a 100% gen. Like they say, buy the seller not the watch. Personally, I would seriously advice you to proceed with caution. It is prob not worth trying to save thousands by losing a few thousands.

the seller has no feedback so can be a scammer very easily, So i thought to bid win this item and after that to see what happen, i have absolutely no problem to get a negative feedback in this account,

John

the seller has no feedback :bicycle:

My own strategy is to not bid if the seller has no or little feedback. In fact I have stopped buying watches on ebay altogether nowadays (have bought some genuine Longines on ebay in the past...I once had the idea to start collecting vintage watches)

Regards

Gran :)

I suppose if you are..... call a local AD where this guy lives and make arrangements for them to appraise/validate it for you. Once confirmed pay up and have the AD (that you contacted not him) ship it to you.

This really sounds like the best solution. good idea

My feelings on the matter... There are plenty of Black Seal gens floating around, that you don't have to touch that one..... You get what you pay for.... Someone with a feadback of 0 on ebay doesn't warrant sending him that kind of funds....

Just my .02 cents :)

Agreed on all! That's a lot of money! Keep everyone informed as to what transpires.

Edited by ekhunter

Agreed on all! That's a lot of money! Keep everyone informed as to what transpires.

I did this same thing a few months ago -- won an auction on Ebay for a 172 Tantalium. Pics of gen were posted and the item was listed as being located about 300 miles away from me. The pics were obviously real and the watch had some wear on it with all the boxes, papers, etc. I won the auction for a 172 for ~$4500 and contacted the seller indicating I would pick-up in person at their local bank and pay with a cashier's check upon delivery. They requested wire transer only to an account titled "Panerai Investor Holdings" with B of A in NY. I told them I would wire from their local bank when I inspected the watch and .... I never heard from them again. I complained to Ebay and their account dissapeared within a few days.