When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So I got called out yesterday.

maxse

Yes, but I'm having trouble believing that. :D

For the most part, we buy reps because we want someone to believe we have the genuine article. We're fooling someone even if it's just ourselves, and that's ok.

If you liked the look, you could get Alphas or similar, without ever having the customs risk. Or you could get less accurate, but much cheaper, reps. How much is a 3rd gen 42mm PO these days?

Well, you don't have to believe me, that's up to you :)

With regards Alphas, sure, they 'have the look', but only to a degree. As contradictory as this might sound, I'm not so keen on Alphas (or like) because they are self-branded clones. I want the dial to say 'Omega' (or whatever), because that's what the watch I like looks like. As you say, it's 'fooling ourselves', or at least 'fooling/satisfying' our eye. I wasn't [censored] off about being called out in the Snoot's Boutique because they were correct, I was [censored] off with their lack of manners (Then again, they're white South African, so what can one expect?) and they way they did it. Also, it annoyed me because they were offering services which they as a business could not provide. They have a sign on the wall specifying them as Rolex repair speciallists, but the Snoot doesn't actually have an in-house watchsmith, and only sends them away to Rolex. Sure, I can see how they can't send a rep back for repair, but there are ways and means of going about it. As a business professional, that wasn't the right way :D

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been buying reps for years now back when EL was just known Sunshine and there was no RWG....I have to say the evolution of quality reps (not QC...LOL) is awesome. I would have never thought it possible to see the Breitlings we have today a few years back and YES I do like fooling people sometimes with my reps as well...its harmless fun and they are oh so close. Botm line I still cant believe that guy called you out on an almost 1:1 rep...makes me think he would have called a gen a fake as well in that situation out of jealousy.

Did you mean me or the OP? If you meant me, then yes, I'd totally agree, he would've done it even if I was wearin a gen Rolex. I could afford one if I wanted to buy one, I just refuse to pay an overinflated price-tag because of brandname. :)

Did you mean me or the OP? If you meant me, then yes, I'd totally agree, he would've done it even if I was wearin a gen Rolex. I could afford one if I wanted to buy one, I just refuse to pay an overinflated price-tag because of brandname. :)

To make it easier, just consider it as making a donation to a non-profit organization for which you get a watch as appreciation. :whistling:

To make it easier, just consider it as making a donation to a non-profit organization for which you get a watch as appreciation. :whistling:

I'm more of a believer in the phrase 'Charity begins at home'... :whistling: Haven't seen you on the boards in a while, I hope life's been treating you well :)

I was talking about the orig. poster but Im sure many people could afford a few or many gens but love the deal of the reps...my problem is I take care of my reps as if they were gens...lol

That's cool :) And nothing wrong with treating a rep with some care, afterall, it's still a watch, and if it looks nice, why not keep it looking nice :D

Great thread.

I think it's missing the point to say that people without money wear expensive jewelry and such. Also doesn't matter if the guy is a jerk or just doing his job. There are many jerks in this world and probably always will be. Point is, if you're wearing a watch that does not match your financial/social class then you should be prepared for it to be scrutinized. It's a good idea to know exactly how you're going to handle the situation (e.g. blow it off & walk away, get tough & macho, or concede & laugh it off) before it arises.

Nothing else to say.

I counldn't agree more !

I'm in the fourties and when going out in trendy parties or places, driving a nice car, I allways get positive reactions: "wow, what a nice watch you're wearing".

What do I do ?

I say "thanks" and start a discussion on something else or, eventually, move to another group of people after saying "thanks, sorry, I need to speak to a fellow, I'll be back".

If someone would say "Hey you! yeah you! Your watch is fake". I would walk away to another group of people and just ignore that ass****.

If he follows me ? I would wisper to him "Hey Lee Major, don't tell me you can spot a fake watch from that distance when you can't even spot my little coc* that I want to stic* in your little as*"

I learned this from my current boss: when you are in a difficult situation, just assume what would make the other feeling like sh*t and tell him/her. They will run away and let you breath.

Hope this helps :Jumpy:

Cheers

Stephane

I'm going to admit it's a fake and ask if the person would like to buy it. Charge a couple of hundred more than I paid and buy a new one. I'll even take an order for the specific watch they want.

George

• 1 year later...

My thoughts are that this guy is used to looking at gen watches all day and has an over all impression about what looks normal. The minute he spots something abnormal, he gets an impression that something isn't right. He had no idea it was truly fake until you made the mistake of allowing him to handle it. Once he had it in his hands he knew how to tell for sure and you made his day. I would never allow some one that I did not know handle my $5000.00 watch!

I disagree that has to look the part to wear an expensive watch. I own one gen Rolex, and have another one on the way. If you saw me on the street, you might think it was fake because I drive a 10 year old pick-up truck and wear blue jeans and a plain white t-shirt most of the time. What people fail to realize is that you really should not judge a book by the cover. I like reps and gens. I love watches in general. Some guys spend their money on expensive cars, some like high dollar electronics, I happen to enjoy watches (and Marine Fish Aquariums).

What I have come to know over the years is that most people with money do not look the part. The ones that fit the "profile" are probably maxed out on their credit cards!

Next time some one approaches you like that guy did just say, "what ever" and move on. You must be comfortable and secure with your self before others will have confidence in you.

I JUST NOTICE THIS THREAD IS OVER A YEAR OLD! :bangin: