When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So I got called out yesterday.

maxse

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy was being an a-hole, but he was right, your watch was fake . . . so you're kind of stuck.

Yes, he probably eyeballed you and whatever combination of age and other impressions he took into account, decided that your watch could not be real. It happens . . . if I'm at Vegas and an 18-year old is wearing a PM Daytona and buying in at a 10-dollar table I'm going to assume the watch is fake. Now I wouldn't make an issue of it, but it's just common sense.

To me, this is the inherent problem of wearing Bentley or Ferrari watches . . . if you don't have the car, just the watch you're going to get crap from somebody sooner or later. Next time go with the SuperOcean, you'll get less grief.

Also, once you engaged him and demanded that he show you why the watch was fake . . . you lost. Look, guys who wear $5,000 watches laugh off that kind of [censored], they say "hey don't hate the player, hate the game" and go do something more useful with their time. Nobody with a gen asks people "how can you tell it's fake," they pat the playa-hata on the head and enjoy life.

Couldn't agree with you more. It's not who's wearing the watch but how you wear it. When I drive my dad's BMW 5 nobody would think ''that guy is wearing a fake PAM''. But when I drive my own BMW 3 coupe (1997 :whistling: ) nobody would believe I'm wearing a gen, even if it would be a gen.

actually, i dont mind being called out.

I dont care if some watch afficionado can spot my reps. 99% of people will never know, but if someone spots it and points out the flaws, he must be just as big a neard as me.

It allways ends up in cool conversation sbout watches, and a potential new friend.

My lawyers (im a music producer) own some serious watches. one has the big pilot platinum, and the other a crazy hours platinum. They both have loads of iwcs and rolexes. I allways tell them i wear reps, and they are allways very impressed of the watches i show up with.

One of them even said there was no need to buy gens anymore, since the reps were so good. I can only agree:-)

Was this the place next to the old fruitmarket? Can't remember the name.. O'Neill's maybe? (things are usually pretty blurred by the time I get to that end of town) Been there a few times and noticed quite a few excellent timepieces been worn by folks....

We hit a few places around there including O'Neills, but the watch spotter was in Babbity Bowsters. Went there so I could sit outside and have a cigar (fecking smoking ban..... :angry2: )

It's been covered but certain watches take on certain roles or character. ANd some people can pull off any watch under any circumstance, but a good portion of us (myself included) have to be selective as to what to wear and when.

It is true that regardless how much of a pro this jeweler might or might not be, his attitude surely didn't backup his claims. I would simply write it off as a learning experiance.

We might admit that we realize we are wearing reps and that were not trying to fool anyone, but deep down inside we do pass them off as gens, every single time someone glances at our wrists and says nice watch or when they don't say anything in fear you might call them out on their own rep.

I would have sworn that his GFs [censored] (ok breasts then)were fake, when he said why ! would have a good rummage about with them, you know twist the bezels and crowns and then say "just a hunch"

The guy was a [censored]. At the risk of unintentionally sounding like one too, my guess is that it wasn't your watch that tipped him off. Unless you had the bad luck of running into one of the .0001% of the planet who can distinguish a decent rep from a gen on the wrist at 10 feet, my guess is that he pegged you as too different (clothes, age, whatever) from the guys he sells gens too. He's still a [censored], though. I never take a watch, rep or gen off my wrist for anyone, but in your situation I'd have taken the watch back from him and said as loudly as I could, "Guess you don't know your product as well as you should, Pardner. I bought this down at Bob's Jewlery last April, and by the way if they make a fake good enough that a jeweler like you has to open the case to tell the difference, I'm selling this one and buying a fake as soon as I get home."

Rule #1 in rep collecting is never buy a rep of a watch you can't or wouldn't plausibly wear a gen version of. We've all got to ask and answer that one for ourselves.

@maxse

...forget about it dude ;)

If jeweler, butcher or not...

Hey, aint that like the biggest proof for his own "inferiority complex"

not asking you somethin like "nice watch, is it a gen?" but rather

devaluating your reputation by spreading the rumour and calling you out

that your watch aint gen before he could even catch a glimpse of it??

Dont give a s**t about peoples like that!

LOL Stephane... i always knew that:

...don't tell me you can spot a fake watch from that distance when you can't even spot my little coc*[/quote]

;) Sorry i just couldnt hold back

George

I would have sworn that his GFs [censored] (ok breasts then)were fake, when he said why ! would have a good rummage about with them, you know twist the bezels and crowns and then say "just a hunch"

Would you have tried to remove the caseback?

I'm not sure what that means exactly but it sounded funny in my head. :victory:

Jeebus....not another weegie that I have to accept a pint from when I go home.......!

BTW......you can get bargains at the Barras................

'Fraid so :thumbsupsmileyanim: though I'm in exile near Edinburgh..... Can't remember the last time I was at the Barras, never been watch-huntin' there though.

We hit a few places around there including O'Neills, but the watch spotter was in Babbity Bowsters. Went there so I could sit outside and have a cigar (fecking smoking ban..... angry.gif )

Aye! I know Babbity's well enough....YEARS since I been there too..... The smoking ban doesn't affect me other than that the pubs are all now MINGIN of P*ss because the smoke isn't masking it!

There are quite a few expensive flats in the area; and a lot of folk with good incomes and no kids for one reason or another..... That and some good gen dealers in the City; that might help explain why you see so much fine metalwork..... Mind; you've to watch your back. I had a guy follow me onto the Edinburgh train one night.... He'd been in O'Neill's and I clocked him following me all the way to Central Station...

I got on the train and phoned for someone to pick me up at a station a couple of stops before mine. Matey follows me off; and this is a remote station... turned out he'd spied the Cartier on my wrist.... As I left the platform he made a lunge and grabbed my right arm and tried to twist it up my back while pushing me towards a wall.. Obviously he didn't reckon on me being left-handed from the somewhat surprised look on his face when I gubbed 'im.

The really funny thing is he was by this time 30 miles from Glasgow, in the middle of bandit country, slightly bruised and there wouldn't be a train heading back to Glasgow 'till after 9am the following morning..... :whistling:

I get your point guys but what I am not mad a jewler called me out. I am mad at the fact that he told people it was a fake all the while not really knowing. The only way I believe eh could have spotted it on my wrist is if he paid attention to the AR which he did not because he said crystal is nice!!! and his first thign was to test the chronos...

I am wearing it for 3 months now and have never had anyone question its authenticity before and I do drive a nice car and dress nice...

I am sure a PO or SFSO would draw less atention but I jsut dont like those watches. I LOVE the breitling shiny polished bracelet. If the SFSO had that bracelet I would probably get it. But its also too thick so I dunno.

Anyway thanks everyone for your comments.

I get your point guys but what I am not mad a jewler called me out. I am mad at the fact that he told people it was a fake all the while not really knowing.

He's a douche for doing that whether he knew or not.

The only way I believe eh could have spotted it on my wrist is if he paid attention to the AR which he did not because he said crystal is nice!!! and his first thign was to test the chronos...
Like I've said before, either here or on RWI, he did not know and was bluffing.

I am wearing it for 3 months now and have never had anyone question its authenticity before and I do drive a nice car and dress nice...

Be that as it may, he didn't see you in nice clothes. Still presumptive of him though especially given the casual environment. Not like you were at fine dining in your tank top and tracks.

However, I wouldn't read too much into not being called out before. Most people wouldn't even notice and those that do likely wouldn't even care; certainly they wouldn't be so rude and classless to make a scene and call you out.

You're on a forum full of watch freaks. People here care about watches and know them. Most people never have heard of Panerai, Breitling, etc. They know Rolex, Omega, Tag, Movado, Cartier, etc. The average individual thinks that it's just a watch on your wrist that maybe cost a couple hundred rather than a few thousand.

Then there are people like myself. I like watches and know some of the expensive ones (surely the brand if not the specific models). If I was at that party, I might have looked at you and thought that your watch wasn't real but I'm not so crazy into watches that I'd approach you to talk about it - rep or gen. So for every one time someone gets called out, there are probably 50 where they might be sized up but nothing said. Yup, even at ADs where people think they've pulled on over. A smart AD would never try to embarrass a potential customer.

I am sure a PO or SFSO would draw less atention but I jsut dont like those watches. I LOVE the breitling shiny polished bracelet. If the SFSO had that bracelet I would probably get it. But its also too thick so I dunno.
Wear what you like. I'm of the camp that thinks you should have something on that you could reasonably afford but I wouldn't wear a watch that I didn't love just cause it fits my budget when something else I prefer doesn't. However, if I decide to sport an $80k watch, I'm going to have to expect that I may be called on it by someone who recognizes that that watch is way out of whack with everything else e.g. my car, clothes and house.

If you do usually dress the part, etc. then wear your GT with pride and without worrying and that guy can go screw himself for being a presumptuous ass.

Anyway thanks everyone for your comments.

Good luck to you. Again, it's my opinion that you're taking this way too badly when you want to go as far as to try and pretend it's a gen to someone opening the caseback.

If it's going to affect you this much to be called on your rep, you're likely in for some more heartbreak and sorrow in the future. Realize that the guy was an ass and always will be an ass most likely and put it behind you. Be happy that you enjoy your watch. When it becomes about what other people think, you're always going to be on edge. I'm about 100% sure that that guy forgot about you around 2 seconds after he'd said his bit all proud of himself for trying to put you down. Yet you are continuing to dwell on it.

You've got some good advice on how to handle it in the future so I hope that you will take it and be more confident next time.

By the way, it shouldn't have to be said but IMO you've also had some pretty horrible advice (where I hope the posters were joking). Stooping to his level and being rude (there's nothing wrong with putting him in his place in a tactful manner though e.g. the comment about how you bought it for $3; showing how little you care for his opinion or even better, the one about how he shouldn't need to open the caseback to tell it's a rep and therefore sucks at his trade, thereby showing him up) or resorting to any kind of violence would make you even more of an ass than he is (to me anyway).

I have read this entire topic and the majority of you believe that a good rule of thumb is to never wear an implausible rep (too expensive for your lifestyle). While I agree that in certain situations this makes sense, I have to say that it could mean losing out on a lot of fun watches.

One of my favorite pieces is my replica Patek Philippe Sky-Moon Tourbillion. I like it because of the design, because its the most comfortable in my collection, because it gives me the day, date, and month in an easily-readable format, and because its clasp is easy to use. I've worn in on many occasions, and have received dozens of complements from strangers, friends, and family - most of whom have never heard of the brand, and especially the watch. And even though it retails for over one million US dollars, I feel absolutely no remorse in wearing it everywhere I can. If a connoisseur recognized it and thought something unpleasant about me, who cares? If a vigilant, particularly cranky jeweler decided to call it out, what would I do? It depends on my mood, but I would always say 'it's the best watch I've ever owned'. Because it is. And frankly being unable to wear it would be more upsetting than occasionally being perceived as looking silly.

That's not to say I don't enjoy fooling ADs with my other believable and near-flawless reps! I do, a lot!

Guest lcdr2007

I'd have to agree with most that said he'd sized you up and guessed you couldn't afford it (a pretty foolish move here in the States where the average young hip-hop artist or entertainment industry exec takes pride in dressing like a bum with $50,000 in accessories on his wrist). Where you played yourself was when you stepped to him. He told everyone else, except you. Had he approached you directly with some arrogant B.S., he would have earned whatever wrath you chose to lay on him. But saying some crap about me to others would just get him a nice, long 'Don't F with me, motherF'er!' look and I'd leave it at that. (Maybe it works better if like me you're Black, bald, 6'1", 295lbs. and tatted up!) What were your intentions when you approached him? Were you just curious about possible obvious flaws in your rep or did you really want to challenge his abilities as a jeweler to spot a fake? If the latter, then you became the bigger fool. YOU ARE WEARING A FAKE! You just brought a knife to a goddamn gunfight! If some A-hole wants to publicly out my rep, I'll readily tell him its fake...Then I'll just pat the bulge on my hip and say "But the Glock is real.", sip my drink and walk away...

P.S. BTW, you could've asked where his shop was located....and if his fire insurance was paid up (just kidding).

if I'm at Vegas and an 18-year old is wearing a PM Daytona and buying in at a 10-dollar table I'm going to assume the watch is fake. Now I wouldn't make an issue of it, but it's just common sense.

LOL that's hillarious. It just so happens that I was out in Vegas last weekend with my good buddy who happens to have a bad ass gen Daytona. We are only 23 (family with money) but we were holding down the $10 tables all night. I know he got a few looks, but whatever, you just never know...

LOL that's hillarious. It just so happens that I was out in Vegas last weekend with my good buddy who happens to have a bad ass gen Daytona. We are only 23 (family with money) but we were holding down the $10 tables all night. I know he got a few looks, but whatever, you just never know...

We all probably know someone like that. I certainly do.

But they are exceptions. And while we probably shouldn't assume it's just human nature to do so and, well, most times the assumption would be correct.

Like tough guy above posted about the young Hip Hop artist (or insert celeb of choice), there are young people with lots of $ who don't look the part (old ones too) but they probably represent around 1% of all people. Most young people who look like they don't have money...don't...

Edited by Jumbie

If you don't carry yourself with confidence and behave like a wimp with shifty eyes and hunched shoulders while wearing what appears to be a 7000.00 watch, people are going to pick on you, starting with your replica watch. :rolleyes:

Wich reminds me. I got called out on my gen 18k daytona a few times. Quite funny actually, since i take a pride in not wearing suits and such.

Nobody believed it was a gen, but after i produced a few hits, nobody doubted it was a gen along with the rest of my collection(all reps).

People are weird. And whats so funny, is that these days you cant see who has the money.

I might be wearing 1000$ sneakers, but it would allways be the guy with the 100$ suit who gets the 1 class upgrade on flights.

I really take a pride in looking like eurotrash. I will not bow to conform rules and clishees, dictated by a society stuck in the last century.

(a pretty foolish move here in the States where the average young hip-hop artist or entertainment industry exec takes pride in dressing like a bum with $50,000 in accessories on his wrist)

Sure, if those limited Nikes and basketball gear count as bum-wear where you are. :blink:

Let's be honest. Snoopy Snoopy Dog Dog isn't going to be hanging at a backyard BBQ without some serious entourage and bootay.

Hola katerchen!

The breitling for bentley, the ferrari panerai, the Girard perregaux ferrari, the audemars piguet for the masterati quatroporte...Next time a tag carrera will be more suitable.

My shirtmaker wears a hell of a bad gmt replica. He often likes to show me his watch, I once saw him with a two tone submariner. Another bad rep too.

But...I will never point him or call out him. Thats not polite.

The funny thing about some people is that the richer they get, the cheaper they are.. :)

Next time wear a casio and hold a bottle of dom perignon in the other hand.

People will love such contradiction...

Yes, but you was wearing the rep didn't you :lol: