When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So I got called out yesterday.

maxse

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care what people look like. It's the other stuff that would make me figure on rep vs. gen. Like is he driving a BMW, MB, Corvette or any other nice vehicle and not a late 80's CRX or Fiero LOL. Also do they work in entertainment field and dress how they want, or do they work at a gas station and that's the best clothes they have.

Agree. I too think: stupid/pusher/criminal/politician = gen. Smart guy = fake.

El...fist ? Do you mean Fist F****** ?

If so, remove the watch, she could be hurted :D

Oh my!!! ROFL!!! 254348-6686.gif

Agree. I too think: stupid/pusher/criminal/politician = gen. Smart guy = fake.

That's so darn true and non-judgmental (which I thought was what Maxse was annoyed about in the first place, or maybe only when it's not hypocritical) I'm surprised it's not the eleventh commandment or something. Between this and big gay confused can't spell Stephanie desperate Trevor (not that there's anything wrong with one of those things) I have certainly never been prouder of being a member of this board.

That's so darn true and non-judgmental (which I thought was what Maxse was annoyed about in the first place, or maybe only when it's not hypocritical) I'm surprised it's not the eleventh commandment or something. Between this and big gay confused can't spell Stephanie desperate Trevor (not that there's anything wrong with one of those things) I have certainly never been prouder of being a member of this board.

I'm not sure I got all implications of what you said, but that tickles my anarchic chromosome. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

And, btw, I am a zen lover...

This defininetly was not a pleasant expericen and I think this guy is an a**hole no?

I thing this guy is an orifice of the first order! OK' so it' a rep, and you were maybe caught out..... but frankly it's nobody's 'kin business but yours what you strap to your wrist!

A handful of things strike me here...

Yes; clearly this 'gentleman' is no such thing and personally I'd have bluffed him out. Or possibly laid him out!

Anyone who REALLY knew their job would have a gentle nod to themself and saw the potential. There's obviously now't to this guy! So he works in a jewellery shop and reckons he can spot a fake. Woop de piggin do! Jings! I just BET his mammy is SO proud of how he worked through apprenticeships and college and whatever to become what? A shop boy? HA!!! SEVEN years floggin tinsel? WHAT an achievement!!

A REAL player in the jewellery game would have had a gentle quiet word and (knowing you were into the old tickers) have started to broker you a deal on some nice vintage Gens.... Or even some infallible reps!!!

What's he done instead?; Proved what a jerk he is and alienated at least one (possibly many) potential customers! Business wise he's proved he's a guy you can't trust.... Immature! So what if you'd been the genuine victim of a fraudster? As a professional Jeweller how would his actions have helped? Short answer is that no professional jeweller worthy of the title would sink to that level!

And, frankly, maybe this [censored] just got lucky in spotting your rep!

Rollies are my thing; I own several Gens and several reps. I've lost COUNT of the number of times somebody has 'called' fake on one of my Gens. With Rollies in particular there is SO much cack written about date wheels and crown guards and this wee detail or another.... I'm wearing my gen '73 Date right now, and noting how far mis-aligned the '29' is in the window and how low the cyclops is.... Fact is though it's over 30 year old, WASN'T that great to start with and had a generic crystal put in in '84........ My '04 sub... Scratched it up while trying to get some rope off the prop of a boat... So now it has a rep insert and even post-polishing it looks roughish .... the CGs according to many are wrong; fact is though it was bought full retail from an AD and is 100% real!. For a while I left the back loose enough to be opened with blu-tak or tape! and to be honest, even when it was new out of the box many people just assumed it was a thirty quid fake!

Particularly where vintage frankens are concerned there's no telling what's what until you get the back off.... sure there are DEAD giveaways and we strive to avoid them...... But equally well there are enough variations and QC failures with many Gen manufacturers that the ONLY sure way of calling many a "fake" is to handle the thing and see the movement....

Next time just face the guy off..... I'd have told him and anyone else who would listen he was obviously talking bull**** and even if he was right (which I'd insist he wasn't) I'd point out how unprofessional and childish his actions were.... If he wants to score points in dragging other folk down than play him at his own game!

Try to rise above it ol' bean...

Regards,

Q

Thanks guys.

I'm just curious what you guys would have said in that situation. I didnt do it in front of people because I was being polite and asked to talk to him privately. Plus I thought he really did notice the lack of AR or really new his stuff since he was able to call it out on the wrist and be sure enough about it to tell other people; so I thought we would have a nice convo about reps...

And he said that he is the OWNER of the jewelry store. Not just a jewler there but owns the business...

Furethermore, he was not wearing a watch at the time.

Why should that matter?

My father has little interest in the stuff he sells but he still knows his product. Maybe the guy just doesn't like wearing a watch or didn't wear one that day. I know many people who don't care to wear a watch.

Of course, if I were him, I'd be flashing something sweet to advertise for myself. My friend's father is a jeweller in Cali. When he goes out with his wife, she's a walking billboard for him and my friend says she does her best to display the pieces so that people will hopefully inquire about them.

Honestly, I think you should just move on. It wasn't a fun experience no doubt but you really, really seem to be dwelling on it. You can't change the past.

This is one of the weirdest threads I have read here in a long time.. :lol:

Just thinking that a SuperOcean SF or a PO Ultimate would have been much more belivable than the flashy Bentley GT! Much less likely to be called out! ;)

The funny thing is that because he claimed to be a jeweler, makes it believable that he knew that it was a rep. I think that most people that buy an expensive gen watch do not know all the intricacies in comparison to a rep unless they are a collector, a member of these forums or own the same piece. I have a Navtimer GMT World with a gen leather strap and showed it to one of my co-workers who owns a gen Bentley GT. He looked and held my watch, rotated the bezel, looked at the back, and said "wow, it's really nice man". His dad actually owns the company and is an avid collector. He too looked at my watch and commented how nice it was. I don't know if he knew it was rep and just wanted to save me the embarrisment, or honestly did not know it was a rep. I own lots of expensive gen suits and watches, and everyone just assumes that I have a watch fetish and own all gens. Only my friends and family know I just fell into the rep world craze!!

I'm just curious what you guys would have said in that situation.

"It's your good manners that are fake, aren't they?"

...But really in your country one can believe that people around is so interested in what watch you wear that he goes telling around that your watch is fake?!?

I am glad not to live there. If I was one of those people I would get a much badder impression from that guy's attitude than from a rep.

A handful of things strike me here...

One thing strikes me: We're hearing the tale from one side. Admittedly it's the side most of us would find ourselves on, but I bet that if we were to hear the tale from the other side it'd be different. :D

The jeweler is portrayed as a [censored], and he certainly sounds like one, but his hunch was right.

I've never been called out and doubt it'd be the sort of thing that would happen as I never punch much above my weight.

Can you really blame the jeweler? OK, he was obnoxious...but I can't think of anyone, except for maybe a Breitling sales rep, who would potentially be more offended by a replica watch than a jewelry store owner. If you had an art forgery hanging in your home presenting as as authentic, would you blame an art dealer for being outraged by it (or at the very least question it) if he/she came to a party at your house? People who are true afficianatos of the real deal are offended by counterfeits on principal alone...and rightly so. I'm certain the moment was very uncomfortable for you but it is a valuable experience. Wear a replica because you love it and they represent a remarkable value. If you wore it to this event to puff yourself up to look impressive, then you probably got what you deserved.

And he said that he is the OWNER of the jewelry store. Not just a jewler there but owns the business...

To get good at ANYTHING you need to have a passion for it. Whether it's selling fruit and veg from a market stall or performing brain surgery. That passion drives you to LEARN everything you can about your subject. And with that knowledge comes a certain confidence whereby you simply don't NEED to throw your weight around 'till somebody prods..... This MIGHT even give the impression of disinterest, but when you know your stuff you have nothing to prove!

As the (supposed) owner of a Jewellery store his lack of adornment would tend to indicate a certain lack of confidence in his own products combined with a failure to appreciate that when you're in business, particularly retailing luxury goods, EVERY occasion is one on which to quietly promote your wares. I could understand the owner of a motor factors (auto parts store) not walking around with a camshaft in his pocket, but equally well I'd expect a certain quietly dignified knowledge couple to a 'helpful' attitude.

Ever noticed for instance that REAL martial arts experts are often among the quietest calmest people you could ever hope to meet? It's the wannabes that go around shouting the odds & picking fights...

You've fallen foul of some chancer who's got lucky in calling your watch rather than a real expert. your own confidence has taken a knock and played into his hands. As others have pointed out; maybe the rest of the picture didn't fit ( Which is a lesson to us all) and he just took a chance. And clearly you've been taken by surprise and you 'folded' too easily.... But remember those 'impressions' we form aren't always accurate; hopefully next time you'll call his bluff..

One good trick in these situations is to laugh it off.... "yeah; got it for three quid off a bloke at the barras" ...and hand the watch to someone. The fact it's a good quality rep, obviously DIDN'T cost three quid will inevitably sow the seed of doubt in people's minds and cause your 'attacker' to fold! 'Everybody' knows fakes are made of tin and cardboard! right? ;)

One of the reasons I collect reps is that I've SO often been disappointed with the genuine item. Ok; So these things carry a certain cache' but my genuine quartz tank which cost well over

Edited by Qsub

Quite funny. I was speaking to a guy on sunday wearing a breitling. I thought it was a rep, because the chrono was running, and everyone weres breitling reps over here.

So i asked him (i was drunk), and he was rather offended (understandable).

But he was a cool dude, and i appologized once i realized the chronos worked fine.

Then i showed him my 187, and told him it was a rep, and we had a long good chat about watches.

Funny thing :D

Just thinking that a SuperOcean SF or a PO Ultimate would have been much more belivable than the flashy Bentley GT! Much less likely to be called out! ;)

I've never had a single person comment on a watch I was wearing, until Saturday night when I was out in town. Been for a nice meal with the missus and on to a pub in the Merchant City. On the way out the loo a guy spots my uPO on rubber strap and says 'Nice watch. Is that a Rolex?'

I couldn't resist - my reply was almost instinctive....

'No, it's an Omeega.'

I don't think he got the reference, but he was still suitably impressed.

'No, it's an Omeega.'

:thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Eckshellent reeshponse.....

Was this the place next to the old fruitmarket? Can't remember the name.. O'Neill's maybe? (things are usually pretty blurred by the time I get to that end of town) Been there a few times and noticed quite a few excellent timepieces been worn by folks....

Quite fancy the uPO... It'd probably look ridiculous on my wrist though....

maybe I'm just unlucky, or perhaps the conventional wisdom is wrong - but i have run into more than a handful of 'ristis and TZers. only one was a WIS, but all have noticed what i was wearing & struck up a hobby-related conversation. i think your odds go up based on the industry you work in and the size of the city you live in.

i purposely keep a very low profile and only remark about what i have if asked. watches never leave my arm.

I've never had a single person comment on a watch I was wearing, until Saturday night when I was out in town. Been for a nice meal with the missus and on to a pub in the Merchant City. On the way out the loo a guy spots my uPO on rubber strap and says 'Nice watch. Is that a Rolex?'

I couldn't resist - my reply was almost instinctive....

'No, it's an Omeega.'

I don't think he got the reference, but he was still suitably impressed.

haha Would have been funny if he had recognised the link!

yeah; got it for three quid off a bloke at the barras"

Jeebus....not another weegie that I have to accept a pint from when I go home.......!

BTW......you can get bargains at the Barras................I picked this up a few years ago for 100 quid.....:D

254651-6663.jpg

254651-6664.jpg

Edited by TTK