When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So I got called out yesterday.

maxse

So yea. I went to this party today for a barbecue wearing my Bentley GT.

It was in a backyard... About half-way into the party my friend comes up to me and tells me that my watch is fake! So I give him a puzzled look and say what are you talking about? He says that some young guy at this party is a jeweler/watch dealer and he told him and a bunch of people that my watch is fake!

So I come up to this guy and pull him to the side and ask him why he thinks that my watch is fake. He asks to to take it off and I do.

So now I'm like damn he's gonna call me out on the font. But no, he pushes the button for the chronometer; it works. He still maintains that he has experience selling watches for 7 years and he is sure it is a fake. I press on for him to tell me why. He turns the watch over so I think he's gonna say something about the 't' not being crossed. Nope all is good here. He finally rotates the bezel and says that it should not rotate freely like this on the gen, and when he tried to set the time he said that the hour markers should rotate clockwise when adjusting the time, not counter-clockwise.

He also tried to open the caseback at which point I was like uhm.. what are you doing? So he handed it back to me and I said I would take it up with the person I bought it from...

This defininetly was not a pleasant expericen and I think this guy is an a**hole no? I mean he went around telling everyone he could find that my watch was a fake! I mean why would he do that.

And what has me even MORE curious is the fact the he knew it was a fake by looking at it from my wrist, yet all the way he explained that it was fake were by touching it and moving the handles and bezel. He also said the bracelet didnt look right when he was holding it... But how was he able to deterine this by looking at it while it was on my wrist! Thoughts/Comments? What should I have said?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was in a backyard... About half-way into the party my friend comes up to me and tells me that my watch is fake! So I give him a puzzled look and say what are you talking about? He says that some young guy at this party is a jeweler/watch dealer and he told him and a bunch of people that my watch is fake!

So I come up to this guy and pull him to the side and ask him why he thinks that my watch is fake. He asks to to take it off and I do.

So now I'm like damn he's gonna call me out on the font. But no, he pushes the button for the chronometer; it works. He still maintains that he has experience selling watches for 7 years and he is sure it is a fake. I press on for him to tell me why. He turns the watch over so I think he's gonna say something about the 't' not being crossed. Nope all is good here. He finally rotates the bezel and says that it should not rotate freely like this on the gen, and when he tried to set the time he said that the hour markers should rotate clockwise when adjusting the time, not counter-clockwise.

He also tried to open the caseback at which point I was like uhm.. what are you doing? So he handed it back to me and I said I would take it up with the person I bought it from...

This defininetly was not a pleasant expericen and I think this guy is an a**hole no? I mean he went around telling everyone he could find that my watch was a fake! I mean why would he do that.

And what has me even MORE curious is the fact the he knew it was a fake by looking at it from my wrist, yet all the way he explained that it was fake were by touching it and moving the handles and bezel. He also said the bracelet didnt look right when he was holding it... But how was he able to deterine this by looking at it while it was on my wrist! Thoughts/Comments? What should I have said?

The guy was being an a-hole, but he was right, your watch was fake . . . so you're kind of stuck.

Yes, he probably eyeballed you and whatever combination of age and other impressions he took into account, decided that your watch could not be real. It happens . . . if I'm at Vegas and an 18-year old is wearing a PM Daytona and buying in at a 10-dollar table I'm going to assume the watch is fake. Now I wouldn't make an issue of it, but it's just common sense.

To me, this is the inherent problem of wearing Bentley or Ferrari watches . . . if you don't have the car, just the watch you're going to get crap from somebody sooner or later. Next time go with the SuperOcean, you'll get less grief.

Also, once you engaged him and demanded that he show you why the watch was fake . . . you lost. Look, guys who wear $5,000 watches laugh off that kind of [censored], they say "hey don't hate the player, hate the game" and go do something more useful with their time. Nobody with a gen asks people "how can you tell it's fake," they pat the playa-hata on the head and enjoy life.

Thoughts/Comments? What should I have said?

You should have asked him how did he spot that bazel does not turn like the gen from 5 yards distance? This guy was guessing, if your rep had Asian 7750 in it, it would have sunken date weal, now that would be easy to spot, but the crap this guy was saying is just nonsense.

He sounds like a right [censored] if you ask me. What he did was very low (going around telling people). He obviously didn't know it was fake but somehow might of picked up on some info. Like "I'm a jeweler"..."oh really, you know ***** has a Breitling", so maybe he picked up on something that you visit replica watch forums, etc etc.

Anyway, he's obviously not an experienced jeweler. The fact that he couldn't tell you why it was fake apart from things you need to hold the watch for (bezel movement, date font, hour markers, whatever) is quite humorous though.

Odd fellow for sure, sounds like he just wanted to be popular by ridiculing someone (something often practiced unfortunately).

It happens . . . if I'm at Vegas and an 18-year old is wearing a PM Daytona and buying in at a 10-dollar table I'm going to assume the watch is fake.

What about a 19 year old wearing a Navi/Daytona/UPO/111h riding in a giant yellow schoolbus :lol:

Ah yes, I miss school already.

Basically, what happens in such cases is that you can recognise an expensive watch, that's all -- if the person wearing it does not match the class of the watch, conclusion is usually that the watch must be fake; to be honest I had such impression a number of times, but I keep the conclusion for myself, announcing it publicly in a party is really stupid.

Jerk...but unfortunately...correct. This guy sells genuine watches and these fakes are undercutting his business. Good salespeople know from your age, the car you drive, the clothes you wear and the jewelry you have on what you are capible of owning when you walk into their store. He's probably sick and tired of good fakes. While he didn't know exactly what was wrong about your Chinese Bentley (perhaps he just had an overall sense, wrong colored subdials etc...), he was hot on the scent.

If you walked around a party and told a few people you graduated from ABC University in 1990 when you hadn't and you had the misfortune of attending this party with the chairperson of the department in your alleged major,....you'd be in for a similar dressing down. Fact is, when you wear a major bling watch fake to a social gathering...you are saying something about yourself rather obviously...and lying about it.

:lol: That is the problem with bling watches. The guys is not a jerk for noticing. He is a jeweler. You either look/act the part in which case he is wondering what else he can sell you or its a fake (at least in his mind). He is an insecure jerk for spreading it around rather than asking you directly if he really cared. But you asked for it. ;)

Yes, he probably eyeballed you and whatever combination of age and other impressions he took into account, decided that your watch could not be real. It happens . . . if I'm at Vegas and an 18-year old is wearing a PM Daytona and buying in at a 10-dollar table I'm going to assume the watch is fake. Now I wouldn't make an issue of it, but it's just common sense.

Nothing else to say.

I counldn't agree more !

I'm in the fourties and when going out in trendy parties or places, driving a nice car, I allways get positive reactions: "wow, what a nice watch you're wearing".

What do I do ?

I say "thanks" and start a discussion on something else or, eventually, move to another group of people after saying "thanks, sorry, I need to speak to a fellow, I'll be back".

If someone would say "Hey you! yeah you! Your watch is fake". I would walk away to another group of people and just ignore that ass****.

If he follows me ? I would wisper to him "Hey Lee Major, don't tell me you can spot a fake watch from that distance when you can't even spot my little coc* that I want to stic* in your little as*"

I learned this from my current boss: when you are in a difficult situation, just assume what would make the other feeling like sh*t and tell him/her. They will run away and let you breath.

Hope this helps :Jumpy:

Cheers

Stephane

Total bullsh*t.... a close friend of mine is an authorized Breitling dealer and the only way he could tell my GT was fake was by rotating the bezel.

ADs and other watch fanatics know little about the tell signs of the modern rep!

Edited by Rolexman

As others said above, the guy was being a jerk by ridiculing you in public like that. It's possible that he didn't know your watch was a rep, but was just jealous (You said he was young) so just trying to make himself look/feel better by trying to make you look bad. It's also possible that something about your age/dress etc gave you away. I had a similar encounter where a snooty proprietor called out my Submariner. The fact my Submariner has previously passed as gen with an experienced jeweller (untill he opened the case) meant that this other snoot simply figured from my age/clothes that I couldn't afford a gen Rolex, so called me out. If I wanted gens, I'd buy gens, I buy reps because they're better value for money :)

The Bentley GT is a pretty good rep even closeup. But you can usually tell the difference in the case build quality, especially on a big watch with a bracelet if you get a reasonable look.

My guess though is that he spotted the watch and then started asking around to determine if you could really afford it.. and then guessed. correctly.. that it was probably a replica.

He's right about the bezel too.. on the real one the outer bezel rotates the inner bezel via a gear system (under the plate on the left of the watch case) and the crystal stays fixed and does not rotate with it.

Well, it does sound like he was a jerk, I mean, why just come out and say a person's watch is a rep? I know people like to show off their knowledge but he could have been less obvious. A few weeks ago I was at a 5k run and this guy had a panerai, in fact, it actually fell off during the run and he lost some time going back to pick it up, I think the bracelet came apart. I later talked to the guy and it was an obvious rep, I mean the crystal had a huge scratch that you would only see with mineral crystal, no ar and the bracelet was all pins, I'm pretty sure the gen has some screws in it. Anyway, I admit I was tempted, but what good would it have served? IMO it was much better to have a short talk about watches and leave it at that.

Sounds like he is a bit of an A$S. In situations like that I wouldn't try and challenge him to identify it as a rep, because that's what it is. I would be frank with him, yes it is a rep, now justify to me as a jeweller, why I would want to spend an extra $5000 buying one from your good self!

Yes he was an Horse's Azz, however that being said, I agree with Kruzer.

Your watch should be an accessory to your life style, which includes your

wardrobe and car..

It's great to love the beauty and majesty of Bling,.. but if you can't complete

the picture, then just be honest and defuse the pressure,..

Replicas can make a great conversation piece...

Nothing else to say.

I counldn't agree more !

I'm in the fourties and when going out in trendy parties or places, driving a nice car, I allways get positive reactions: "wow, what a nice watch you're wearing".

What do I do ?

I say "thanks" and start a discussion on something else or, eventually, move to another group of people after saying "thanks, sorry, I need to speak to a fellow, I'll be back".

If someone would say "Hey you! yeah you! Your watch is fake". I would walk away to another group of people and just ignore that ass****.

If he follows me ? I would wisper to him "Hey Lee Major, don't tell me you can spot a fake watch from that distance when you can't even spot my little coc* that I want to stic* in your little as*"

I learned this from my current boss: when you are in a difficult situation, just assume what would make the other feeling like sh*t and tell him/her. They will run away and let you breath.

Hope this helps :Jumpy:

Cheers

Stephane

Wow Stephane - you are a watch lover and you posted this email - I believe that I am in love. No chance you like American football?

thanks guys. The thing is that I was ready to talk about reps and everything since I figured he would tell me about the AR and tehn about the font or the 't' not bein crossed, but he checked the chronos! Then the back and after all said the bracelet was no good! And THEN said the bezel should not rotate like that.

You're right that I shouldn't have taken it off but I was ready to talk about the flaws and the nice craftsmanship etc... and point out the 't' on the back if he would miss that one. And if he actually asked if I could afford it from people that I know they would have said I could, because I totally can. I was going to get a gen because I fell in love with this watch but it's just not as exciting after spending that kind of money on a watch. Anyone can do it, but not everyone can get so close for a couple hundred; that's what's exciting about it!

But I have learned that from now on, I am not taking my watch off under any circumstances, and can't wait for the new AR run already.

Now the question is: Why can't we get a better quality Bentley GT rep? Im even happy with the spacing of the inner and outer dials, just get those suckers to rotate correctly and make the font bold, and we are set.

I don't care what people look like. It's the other stuff that would make me figure on rep vs. gen. Like is he driving a BMW, MB, Corvette or any other nice vehicle and not a late 80's CRX or Fiero LOL. Also do they work in entertainment field and dress how they want, or do they work at a gas station and that's the best clothes they have.

On a side note... I know for a fact that a large deal of celebrities and people with large amounts of cash (musicians, pro athletes etc) own a fair share of reps to go along with their gens.