When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New DW Paul Newman 6263 White w/ Black Subs 7760

Guest HeWhoIsLikeGod

True PN's are the 6239's and 6241's with pump pushers, twin lock, and exotic dial (two or three color variants).

the variants that are considered by some are as above and also the 6262 and the 6265. now since paul never acually wore a daytona in the movie 'winning' where it is believed the association began, and never owned a daytona until his wife gave him one some years after the 'paul newman' thing became popular, this is all speculation!

A great topic of debate and controversy!

The collectors and dealers believe it's the 39 and 41- The movie has nothing to do with it. The true epitome of 'PN' is the very first cosmograph with exotic dial (2 and 3 color variations), pump pushers, etc. The later models with screw down crowns with exotical dial are still called PN, but not the 'true' PN in collector and enthusiasts' eyes.

Funny how names become associated to things... McQueen 1665, Clapton 1680... PN Daytona. What's even funnier is how many of these associations are incorrect. Mr. Newman, as you mentioned above, wears his black 6263 plain dial, Steve McQueen wore a 5513, and Mr. Clapton...? I've seen a number of different Rolex on his wrist, so I don't know how that one was started (though I believe I had heard that this one was a result of one of his personal red 1680's having sold for a record amount- Is this enough to tie someone's name to in order to create some sort of cache for the brand?).

What's next? The Nanuq 6536?

:lol:

Guest avitt
Just curious... did everyone else's DW's come with a cheap feeling bracelet, and thin/cheap pushers?

I've seen quite a few replica pushers, and the DW's are among the better ones. That being said, nothing matches the quality of the OEM pushers.

DW actually offers the VJ72 copy or I guess it is the VJ23. I had to ask to have this movt installed because I wanted full functionality and still have manual wind. I have compared to genuines and the subdial spacing is almost dead on. I can't even notice a difference with the naked eye. I have been running the chronos for quite a few hours now and everything is smooth as can be. I love this watch and think it is a better rep than any of the vj23 reps. The only complaint I have is the cheap bracelet. I am looking to put a leather strap on the watch. I think it would take a 19mm strap, right? Where could I find a rolex buckle? And what size would I need? Lastly, anyone know where I can find a smooth black calf strap to fit this watch? I have search everywhere and can only find it with croc print, which I am not a fan of. Thanks

Does David Wong have a site. Would love to check out the Daytonas....

Does David Wong have a site. Would love to check out the Daytonas....

Nope. Unfortunately, you must talk privately to some of the people who have them to see if they might be able to obtain one for you. Even then, there are few people who know how to get hold of him, so they would perform the intermediary work for you. Good luck. I have 2 and they are simply my favorite watches in my collection (including gen Omegas). Sorry, I don't have the contact info myself.

• 1 month later...