When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5513 = Love

eunomians

Pulled this out of the safe this morning.

The movement needed a little action - I have not worn it in a while.

Upon putting on the watch, I had forgotten how perfect the 5513 is.

No date, symmetrical dial, Superdome Tropic 19...

259580-5715.jpg

259580-5716.jpg

259580-5717.jpg

Hmmm, :huh:

I started liking the 16610 for the date and heavy mag, then 1680 for it's vintage feel, right now 1665 (no more cyclop and much better date look)...

I might finally fall in love with this one allthough I still need a date currently :unsure:

Aargh Monsieur Euno ! You have great watches :notworthy:

Is there any good rep of that 5513 now or...?

Cheers and congrats

Stephane

Euno, what a watch! :wub: You're very fortunate to have such a piece which just happens to be my fave vintage rollie. Great photos!

Stephane, you can build one from an MBW 1680 case which already has the 5513 markings. The case will be thicker than OEM but it would be a stunner. The expensive part will be sourcing the OEM dial which would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 for a quality example. The T-19 crystal is easy enough to source but the T-19 superdome on Euno's is very difficult to find and highly prized by collectors...which means expensive.

Stephane, you can build one from an MBW 1680 case which already has the 5513 markings. The case will be thicker than OEM but it would be a stunner. The expensive part will be sourcing the OEM dial which would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 for a quality example. The T-19 crystal is easy enough to source but the T-19 superdome on Euno's is very difficult to find and highly prized by collectors...which means expensive.

This is all fun ! I sounds like I have years ahead to occupy myself with this hobby :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I found a gen second hand affordable but I'm a little confused as it seems the meters/feets aren't the same.

I found a second one but the dial is completely different allthough presented as a 5513 too... :headhurt:

post-4865-1181397330_thumb.jpg

post-4865-1181397337_thumb.jpg

post-4865-1181397343_thumb.jpg

post-4865-1181397436_thumb.jpg

post-4865-1181397442_thumb.jpg

Stephane, the photos of your matte dial is simply a meters first variation. I think the meters first is prized higher by some collectors (at least on some models).

Here is an example: http://forums.watchnet.com/index.php?t=tre...35722&rid=0

The second dial is the transitional WG surrounds T-dial. The dial was used on the latter 5513s. I have one of the WG T-dials but not sure what to do with it just yet. :) I might transform my MBW 1680 and install the T-19 which is also sitting in the parts box.

Here's some more Euno-style ramblings:

My 5513 (which is genuine) has the 26J version of the 1520. The 17J version was made for the USA market; and the 26J version was for the European market. The added jewels are within the winding system and do not affect the movement's timekeeping performance. The 17J version was created to reduce USA import tariffs since watches at the time were taxed based upon the amount of jewels they had in their movement.

The serials on my watch date it to somewhere around '68 or '69 (caseback says III 69). Mind you, there is always a little give & take with the Rolex serials.

It is still equiped with the Twinlock system and original Superdome T-19. It must've been one of the first batches of 5513 that hacks (Rolex introduced the hacking 1520 around '69-'70).

Stephane:

The meters first dial is usually from '69 or earlier, replaced with feet first since Rolex thought a bigger number first looks more impressive (true story).

"Submariner" text on top is earlier, same text on bottom is later.

The white gold surrounds + shiny black dial are factory service replacements.

Matte dials with Luminova lume are also factory service replacements.

Original dials and hands were Tritium coated.

Most 5513s have Triplock Crown system. Only early 5513s don't (but it is rare since Rolex always upgraded Twinlock to Triplock during servicing).

Tropic 19 Superdome is very hard to get. And it is totally different aesthetically than the newer flatter T-19 crystal.

All 5513s have an acrylic crystal. If it has sapphire, it's not 5513, it is 14060.

If you can find an original 5513 with matte dial in good shape with 91350 bracelet for less than $3200, buy it. 5513 has increased in price by a whopping $1000 in the past year alone. It has always been a slept-on collector's favorite, but now the cat's out the bag. 5513 is hot and people are snatching them up fast.

If anything, the 5513 has historical significance. It was used by Comex divers and was the basis for the Sea Dweller. It was used by the British and Australian Military. Mr. Cool himself, Steve McQueen, wore one all the time while at the Academy Awards or diving/car racing/motorcycle riding. Ah yes, and even Mr. James Bond at one point wore 5513, too. The 5513 was the most used diving watch for decades along with the various Seiko dive watches. All in all, it is the quintessential toolwatch that set the trend and high standard for other watch companies to emulate. Think about it: how many watches look like a Sub? Black count down bezel, mercedes hands, black dial, oyster bracelet, triangle luminous markers, etc...

In a few years, 1675 will rise to the occasion, too. Mark my words.

I'd love to find an affordable 5513 or 5512, but the non chronometer as a cleaner dial which i prefer. If someone sees one for less than $2500,- a message is appreciated :)

Otherwise i guess i have to start with an MBW version. But the slightly too low crown position always bugs me...