When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Modded PAM from Thumb Watch Accessories?

Jumbie

Hi guys. Looking to buy a 112H from this TWA (over on the Dark Side) with full mods and servicing and was wondering if anyone had any input on it.

I was originally going to go with a Davidsen PAM but have changed my mind for various reasons including reports of lack of QC e.g. problems with the lug holes, and even though he fixes them, I don't feel like going back and forth to get that done. As well, I don't believe his watches are serviced.

My other option would be to buy a "regular" rep and have it modded and serviced but I like the simplicity of just having a finished product delivered to me. Plus, he's a US dealer so that makes it easier in terms of customs.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

I have a fully modded 177 on the way from ThumbWa I'll post some pics when it comes in.

That would actually be quite useful for everyone I think cause I searched and searched and there is literally no mention of his work other than suggestions to try him when the question of "Who has the best PAM XXX?" comes up.

Enjoy your new watch! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Really great to deal with by the way.

Yeah, I've been in contact with him. Prompt replies and patience with my dumb questions.

I think I will just go ahead with my order even if it's to preserve my sanity so I stop thinking about the damned watch. lol

I know of one guy on the dark side that has a "modded" TWA pam that was supposed to have a swiss movt, no recessed pin, superlume, etc. and he posted pics of it on the board, it seriously looked like any other $200 un modded panerai, I was surprised.

Maybe he got a mixmatch in the shipping but I wasn't impressed at all for something that cost the same as the davidsen models.

That would actually be quite useful for everyone I think cause I searched and searched and there is literally no mention of his work other than suggestions to try him when the question of "Who has the best PAM XXX?" comes up.

Enjoy your new watch! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Yeah, I've been in contact with him. Prompt replies and patience with my dumb questions.

I think I will just go ahead with my order even if it's to preserve my sanity so I stop thinking about the damned watch. lol

I know of one guy on the dark side that has a "modded" TWA pam that was supposed to have a swiss movt, no recessed pin, superlume, etc. and he posted pics of it on the board, it seriously looked like any other $200 un modded panerai, I was surprised.

Maybe he got a mixmatch in the shipping but I wasn't impressed at all for something that cost the same as the davidsen models.

That's not good to hear. Well, will have to cross my fingers that it turns out well cause I sent him payment yesterday.

Haven't heard back if he's received it yet and it will take a few weeks to get shipped to me so will post some pics when I get it. The pics of the modded 111H and 177H he has posted in his section of the forums look fine to me though so maybe there was just some kind of mistake. Definitely haven't seen any negative feedback for TWA (although there isn't much feedback for him period).

Hi guys. Looking to buy a 112H from this TWA (over on the Dark Side) with full mods and servicing and was wondering if anyone had any input on it.

Only question would be:

Who is "Servicing" the watch, and what are the "Mods"... the answer to that question, will tell you the answer to your question...I can put two identical movements side by side, one fully serviced, one not touched, and you will not be able to tell which one is which... I would be very cautious of plunking down extra $$$ for something you can't verify.

The only other question, did you ask this question on the Dark Side, and if so, what was the answer...

Why is it lately that so many folks are coming here, asking for our input on a topic or subject that originated on the dark side, am I the only one that finds that strange?

RG

Why is it lately that so many folks are coming here, asking for our input on a topic or subject that originated on the dark side, am I the only one that finds that strange?

i feel like this has happened a lot more lately too....kind of bizarre, especially for those of us who aren't members of RWI. :g:

deltatahoe

Only question would be:

Who is "Servicing" the watch, and what are the "Mods"... the answer to that question, will tell you the answer to your question...I can put two identical movements side by side, one fully serviced, one not touched, and you will not be able to tell which one is which... I would be very cautious of plunking down extra $$$ for something you can't verify.

The mods are the following:

"WITH SUPERLUME, CANON PIN, 2MM CROWN"

As well, it's listed that the crystal is sapphire "WITH ULTRA BLUE ANTI-REFLECTIVE COATING" although I guess the better reps from most dealers do come with AR. Not sure if this is upgraded. Dagger swan neck as well.

I inquired about the lume via PM as well as who is servicing the watch and was told that it is a mixture of C3 and C1 and being serviced by a watchsmith he knows rather than himself. I don't know, maybe he's being misled or maybe it's just myself that is but his feedback's been good so far and the pics of his modded watch that he is using for advertising (again, maybe I'm being misled) look good to me. Admittedly, however, I am far from a PAM expert.

Quite frankly, I prefer to get the servicing, mods, etc. all done in one shot rather than mailing stuff back and forth to have it done so willing to take a gamble on it. I know that you service watches and I've mentioned twice now that I have a 7750 that I hope to send to you later on (once in my initial thread asking about servicing in the Q&A forum and once recently in your thread announcing your summer vacation). Provided, of course, that you're willing to accept me as a customer. The only reason I haven't contacted you yet (and now I have to wait to do so until your holiday is over) is because I am not currently in the US and mailed the watch to my sister's place because I will be visiting her at the end of the month. After that, I will be moving to NJ and I was going to wait until I was settled in before doing anything.

Truth be told The Zigmeister, I'm glad you're available but if there was an easier way to get stuff done than having to send it to you in Canada that's the route I'd take. I hope that doesn't offend you. If I could find a local guy to service a 7750, provided his reputation is good (like your own is; excellent by all counts that I've read) it would just make sense to use him rather than mailing my watch across the border.

The only other question, did you ask this question on the Dark Side, and if so, what was the answer...

RG

To answer your question my reasons for doing this are two-fold:

1. I searched on that forum for approximately 2 1/2-3 hours trying to get answers as to whether or not to buy a davidsen PAM (again for the simplicity of not mailing stuff around the place; thing is he doesn't service so I'd have to get that done), or one from TWA or to buy one from a dealer and ask vaccuum, Flava Flav, or someone else to do the mods. Didn't find much info other than a lot of cheerleading for davidsen's PAMs but TWAs own was suggested quite often.

There was even one thread asking literally this very question so I didn't see much point in repeating it. Seeing as how that's the case and how there is a lot of "cross-forum" action, I figured it was worth a shot to ask over here as someone might have some more info to offer.

2. For good or bad, I feel that posting on a forum where the guy is selling stuff has the potential for some bias given his presence. I was trying to avoid that.

So there's my explanation for everything. It was not meant as an insult to those who offer their services here on this board.

Edited by Jumbie

well thought out post jumbie...i don't think you've offended anyone here. :victory:

however, i'm guessing very few people here have had many experiences with TWA (to be honest your post was the first time i had ever heard of such a seller), so you'll probably get fewer responses than over on RWI. who knows, maybe i'm wrong.

one thing i do know, pictures of the advertised product would be helpful....i think you'll find people here on RWG (particularly the PAM experts) are most helpful in pointing out the weak and strong points of a particular watch if that is the advice you're looking for....

deltatahoe

Thumb....hmmmm....never heard of him.

Just speaking for myself, whenever a "new" modder or dealer shows up, I always try to find out if its someone I'm already familiar with, for good or for ill. 'Cause you know, I would wonder why anyone would feel feel the need to pop up under a new name. I woulda thunk modders, like dealers, live and die by their reputations. Those who have changed their names usually announce it pretty loudly so their good reputations--and customers--follow.

Just speaking for myself, whenever a "new" modder or dealer shows up, I always try to find out if its someone I'm already familiar with, for good or for ill. 'Cause you know, I would wonder why anyone would feel feel the need to pop up under a new name. I woulda thunk modders, like dealers, live and die by their reputations. Those who have changed their names usually announce it pretty loudly so their good reputations--and customers--follow.

Also, I just blow off the owrd serviced in any ad--as zig points out there's no real way to verify, so I won't pay extra for it. IMO, if all the "serviced" reps offered in the trading section really were serviced, our watchsmiths would be doing nothing but servicing movements 24/7 365.

interesting observation archibald....however, from the OP's description i was under the impression that this was a "dealer," not an individual selling one-off modded pieces...

any RWI folks know the background on this?

deltatahoe

interesting observation archibald....however, from the OP's description i was under the impression that this was a "dealer," not an individual selling one-off modded pieces...

TWA is US-based and used to be called LWA, but the L stood for his surname so he changed it to TWA so he could deal in reps as opposed to just the tools he was selling at first.

It's not Joe, if that's what you're asking.

well thought out post jumbie...i don't think you've offended anyone here. :victory:

Thank you. I hope not.

however, i'm guessing very few people here have had many experiences with TWA (to be honest your post was the first time i had ever heard of such a seller), so you'll probably get fewer responses than over on RWI. who knows, maybe i'm wrong.
I was just trying to do my research. Like I said, I tried a pretty exhaustive search (I think) over there.

one thing i do know, pictures of the advertised product would be helpful....i think you'll find people here on RWG (particularly the PAM experts) are most helpful in pointing out the weak and strong points of a particular watch if that is the advice you're looking for....

deltatahoe

He has pics up of a modded display piece.

Many of the apparent experts over on the other forum seem to think that there are quite a few flaws on Davidsen's pieces and it would be better to buy a watch and get it modded while others swear by them. Several of the former guys suggested TWA which is how I got interested. Thing is that I haven't really seen any reviews of his actual work.

TWA is US-based and used to be called LWA, but the L stood for his surname so he changed it to TWA so he could deal in reps as opposed to just the tools he was selling at first.

It's not Joe, if that's what you're asking.

thanks for the clarification pugwash :victory: the whole "thumb" thing and archibald's comment kind of threw me for a loop.

deltatahoe

Yeah, I understand about the whole serviced thing that archibald is referring to from dealers. I won't pay extra money for that.

deltatahoe

I'm not sure exactly how much of a dealer TWA is because I don't see any pieces advertised by him except for the modded 111H and 177H. In fact, I PMed him to ask if a 112H was available fully-modded.

I guess I feel comfortable with the idea because since he is doing the work himself I expect some level of QC (something that apparently seems to be an issue with Davidsen from what I've read which, I find surprising to be honest); especially if he's not dealing with a lot of volume. The one risk is if his mods are poor quality to begin with but I don't believe that to be the case.

i've had a few conversations with thumb and he's a pretty cool guy. i actually just sold him some tritec superlume recently. he seems to know what he's doing and i'm sure he would support you if there is an issue. i needed a 111h dial right away and he shipped one to me 2 days to my door.. go for it. thumb gets a thumbs up from me.

Thanks for the vote of confidence for TWA flavor flav. Of course, that's for his character and not his work. :p Good to hear that he seems to know what he's doing.

I've already placed and order with him so I'm getting the watch one way or another. Oddly, I'm not worried.

BTW, what I've seen of your work has been beautiful! :thumbs:

Edited by Jumbie

Only question would be:

RG

i get the feeling, that ziggy made a really good point is, a watchsmith is like a mechanic of your car .. is he really doing what he say's he is and can u trust him or is he like taking your car to a dealership and getting raped with the fee and lack of true work???

deltatahoe

Being from a small island in the Pacific where the females just wear about 125 mm of material to cover up .... what does the acronym RWI stand for and is it a Euro thing?

Lanikai

So there's my explanation for everything. It was not meant as an insult to those who offer their services here on this board.

Great explanation and information.

Lume, cannon pin, and crown, you can verify easily...servicing, well it's hard to tell...

There are only so many people with the skills to do this work, so with that in mind, it's probably easy to eliminate the obvious modifier/watchsmiths out there...it does not seem to be flav doing the work, or me...so I wonder who it could be??

Anytime I can help you out with anything, please let me know, borders although annyoying, have not been an issue.

Good luck with your purchase.

RG

Great explanation and information.

Lume, cannon pin, and crown, you can verify easily...servicing, well it's hard to tell...

There are only so many people with the skills to do this work, so with that in mind, it's probably easy to eliminate the obvious modifier/watchsmiths out there...it does not seem to be flav doing the work, or me...so I wonder who it could be??

Anytime I can help you out with anything, please let me know, borders although annyoying, have not been an issue.

Good luck with your purchase.

RG

Thanks The Zigmeister.

Will definitely be getting in touch with you.

Enjoy your summer. :icecream: